YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Evil! Like Black Play Doh
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone seen this before.

Dug out my old Aladin Pro for a dive on the weekend, battery showing 59%. It's not been used for around 8 months, as I use a Vytec usually.

All was going well until half way through the ( uneventful ) dive, when the screen went blank & it started making a "clicking noise". Ended the dive & the "clicking" continued for about another 12 hours.

The message on the screen now reads "ERR" in the bottom left corner.

I have looked through the manual & there is no mention of this, however it does say not to use the comp if the low battery indicates. Don't think 59% is particularly low.

Is it knackered, need new battery or other?

Anyone?

Cheers
Steve

·
Ex-Member
2,180 Posts
You just need a new battery, 58% is low for dive computer. You may have the old type that you can change the battery yourself. My LDS still stocks them, but you need a soldering iron.

Otherwise, it's back to manafacturer....

·
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Back to the manufacture

Thanks, it is the old type. I have a feeling it's filled with oil too.

I think it's cheaper just to lob it in the bin.

It's a shame, cos the last few years it's been lent to AOW students, or newly qualified divers to get the feel of diving with a basic comp.

·
Ex-Member
2,180 Posts
If it's the old type the battery is easy to change, kit has a new battery, some solder & a new cap/o-ring. Done it several times, oil doesn't come ino it.

If you want a battery kit, call Amphibian Sports in West Norwoord (London), they have them i stock, I'm sure they will post to you.

Shame to bin a good computer.

·
Registered
60 Posts
aladin pro

i have a pro and sport and Even the good old blue number all have now gone blanc,the batt needed.should cost around £40 for a new one.i think its well worth money for three good computes,aslo dive mainly on my vr3.

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
If it's the old type the battery is easy to change, kit has a new battery, some solder & a new cap/o-ring. Done it several times, oil doesn't come ino it.

If you want a battery kit, call Amphibian Sports in West Norwoord (London), they have them i stock, I'm sure they will post to you.

Shame to bin a good computer.
I thought the Aladins all had to go back to Uwatec for a new battery. I've seen threads on here of people trying to change them only to have oil everywhere...Maybe JP could change it for you..?

·
Registered
455 Posts
This model does need to go to Scubapro, as it requires resting after the battery has been changed.
Without the correct software this cannot be done if one of these repaired computers ends up involved in an accident the repairer could find themselves liable.

·
Ex-Member
2,180 Posts
All depends on model, not clearly stated in any posts. The origional Aladin's had a user changable battery, later models had to be sent back.

Mine is cira 1989

JT

·
Registered
321 Posts
Bloody hell

You just need a new battery, 58% is low for dive computer. You may have the old type that you can change the battery yourself. My LDS still stocks them, but you need a soldering iron.

Otherwise, it's back to manafacturer....
Mine is at about 79%

I bought it new about 3 years ago and i expect about at least 10 years before re-newing the battery, thats about 50 dives per year.

Why should it need replacing after only 41% of usage.?

Regards

P

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Mine is at about 79%

I bought it new about 3 years ago and i expect about at least 10 years before re-newing the battery, thats about 50 dives per year.

Why should it need replacing after only 41% of usage.?

Regards

P
They do chap...It has become very obvious that the % on the battery means nothing..I had one fail at 61%. Then again I've seen them still working at 40% but you must ask yourself ..could you trust it..to complete a dive..?

·
Registered
60 Posts
aladin

that will be my little black number then dood and yes its still going,and would i trust it now?.maybe in the pool but not in open water.

·
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What is this really saying

If the batteries fail at any given %, then surely this must more than a little worrying!!

AS I mentioned, I was only using this as a backup, trying it out for lending out to club members or aow students.

If I had been using it in anger, then this could have been more than a little worrying. ( cue everyone shouting to have a back up anyway, dive timer, spare comp ect).

All said and done, does anyone know where I could get the battery replaced for a reasonable cost, with a reliable service? I think when I enquired about this a year or so ago, LDS wanted over £90 to send it off. That was without seeing which model is was in fairness, so it could possibly be cheaper.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Uwatec charge £50 for a Pro/Pro Nitrox etc and usual turnaround is now 2-3 days. Much better than previous years.

Recomendation is still to take it back to your local dealer but if they want to charge £90 i'd look for another shop to use.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I have the older model, you can tell if its a user changable mod by looking at the side , if it has a round port with two small hole in it, thats the battery compartment. easy to open with circlip pliers. just been checking the web site where I got the info from but its gone, but I am sure a search of the web will bring up another. I purchased the battery from the web about 6 pounds a new o ring from a set I had and some silicone. Its as easy as unsoldering the tabs soldeing them back on again and sealing the unit with the oring an silcone, been running again fin for the last year.

total cost 10 quid.

·
Never one to start a fight
1,088 Posts
Its been posted before, but the % is of volage remaining, not battery life !
Like most things they require a certain voltage to work and are somtimes temprature sensitive.
Try starting your car with 50% i.e. 6 volts

·
Registered
10,794 Posts
I'd avoid sending anything to Scubapro/Uwatec. They keep ripping people off. I had a Aladin Air Integrated that needed a new contact. They tried to charge me £400 (service upgrade) because they reckoned it needed a new motherboard and housing.

In the end I sent mine to DiveQuip.

DiveQuip Diving Equipment Servicing

£35 for the repair. Think he charges a similar amount for a battery change.

Get the battery changed and then get rid.

·
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Its been posted before, but the % is of volage remaining, not battery life !
Like most things they require a certain voltage to work and are somtimes temprature sensitive.
Try starting your car with 50% i.e. 6 volts
Cheers me dear, when I get 5 mins I will pop it into you, I'm sure you will give me a good price!! ;-)

·
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
In the end I sent mine to DiveQuip.

DiveQuip Diving Equipment Servicing

£35 for the repair. Think he charges a similar amount for a battery change.

Thanks for the advice, I may give them a try if all else fails.

Don't really want to bin it, as it has some "sentiMENTAL" value, plus it still serves a bit of a purpose

·
Registered
455 Posts
Although the £35 sounds a good deal it will more than likely need to be calibrated post bat fitting. That software as far as I know it is only available at Scubapro.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts