YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
A true Galapagos Adventurer
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Hiya folks, My darling wife and dive buddy, has gone and arranged a holiday for us in June. Don't I have it bad!!!!!  
This time it's a liveaboard and we were wondering about having a night cap. How does one go about supping alcohol on't said boat? Is it provided, would it be better to byo and carry it with you?
Obviously we aren't looking at getting slaughtered, just a little something to aid sleep and recuperation.  

All advice appreciated and will be entered into the thick matter called my brain. TTFN

Scubanut

·
Lucky Man
2,163 Posts
Imported post

In my limited experience, both liveaboards I've done have had cans of lager for sale, but nothing else. I gather that's pretty normal. So if you've more refined tastes, take your own.

That said to be honest there's so much diving and everyone is so knackered at the end of the day not much drinking goes on - I took a bottle of vodka last time and it came back unopended.

What a wife! Does she have a sister?  
Where's the trip she's booked you?
Have a cracking time,
Daev.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Imported post

If it's a liveaboard out of Sharm just pick up a case from the Duty Free shop on the way through the airport.  Many of the liveaboards don't have alcohol on board and it's always good to be able to offer others a beer or two!!  

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (dave archer @ Mar. 30 2004,22:40)]What a wife! Does she have a sister?  
Where's the trip she's booked you?
Have a cracking time,
Daev.
Hiya!

I am the said wifey of Scubanut! I have booked us to go on Blue Pearl to South/Deep South red sea...and can't bloody wait! I will have to make enquiries as to whether there will be any beer on board...not that we got slaughtered or anything...just like a couple of post dives beers to relax before crashing out!!!

We are liveaboard virgins so it's all new to us I'm afraid...and I understand that there is no duty free at arrivals at Marsa where we are flying to.

Nope no sister I'm afraid...only child....so there!

Counting down the days already...

Scubachick  

·
Lucky Man
2,163 Posts
Imported post

Liveaboard virgins -> a handy tip - take a couple of CDs.
On Kawarty II earlier this month they had a stereo, but only a few CDs - got a bit sick of striding off the back to the dulcett tones of Chris Rea informing me I was on the road to hell  

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

last November we asked the Oonas rep where we could get "booze f't baby" and he took us to an Arthur Daly style lock-up in Sharm old-town, several crates of larger, sorted!
it was Ramadan too but still nil problemo

·
Banned
1,245 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Steve W @ Mar. 31 2004,15:53)]last November we asked the Oonas rep where we could get "booze f't baby" and he took us to an Arthur Daly style lock-up in Sharm old-town, several crates of larger, sorted!
it was Ramadan too but still nil problemo
Marsa is about the size of a bus stop though, so it may be more difficult there.  I'd say don't worry about beer, they'll have a bar on t'boat where you can get that... but if you like spirits would suggest collecting some at Gatwick (or wherever you are flying from).  And besides, the dive guides will love you at the end of the week if you leave them your dregs  

And the CDs are definitely a good tip....

Saw Blue Pearl kicking around a few times when I was over there this Christmas & New Year.  Looked like a nice boat.

Enjoy...
H

·
Buzz
617 Posts
Imported post

Buying some duty free at the airport (either in the UK or in Egypt) is a very good idea.
I spent a week on Tiger Lily which had a bar. However we managed to drink it dry in two days. A rib ride to the Cyclone got us an extra case which helped a little, though the second half of the week was rather dry!

Paul

·
A true Galapagos Adventurer
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Imported post

Let's just hope that there's a BOGOF offer at Gatwick then, although I suspect that we shall all be too knacked t'drink!!!!!!!
Thanks to all who answered, feel free to pass on any more details that would be of use to two liveaboard virgins

·
That's Dude with an E
12,959 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (scubachick1972 @ Mar. 31 2004,08:58)]I am the said wifey of Scubanut! I have booked us to go on Blue Pearl to South/Deep South red sea...and can't bloody wait!
A few of us from YD are going on the same trip on the 22nd of April, my trip report will include booze availability details.

·
1,773 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (dave archer @ Mar. 31 2004,10:05)]On Kawarty II earlier this month they had a stereo, but only a few CDs - got a bit sick of striding off the back to the dulcett tones of Chris Rea informing me I was on the road to hell  
<font color='#000F22'>If I ever hear the Red Hot F*ckin' Chilli Peppers again it'll be too soon.

·
rEvolutionary Diving
4,542 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Don't expect to pick up anything but beer in Egypt, unless you want to go blind on the local methanol. Get it before you go, pack it in your luggage then pickup one bottle per person (the limit on entry) at Gatwick for your hand luggage. If you can get hold of any imported alcohol in Egypt it's from the Duty Free and you have 24 hours from enrty to get it. There is little choice when tourist numbers are high and it can be more expensive than Tesco back home.

Hope this helps, have a good un.

·
Lucky Man
2,163 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (dave archer @ Mar. 31 2004,10:05)]On Kawarty II earlier this month they had a stereo, but only a few CDs - got a bit sick of striding off the back to the dulcett tones of Chris Rea informing me I was on the road to hell  
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Gavin Yates @ April 01 2004,00:24)]If I ever hear the Red Hot F*ckin' Chilli Peppers again it'll be too soon.
heh heh heh. The opening bars of Brothers in Arms are now enough to have me chucking myself over the side, without stopping to kit up  

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]feel free to pass on any more details that would be of use to two liveaboard virgins
Take usual "save a dive" stuff (mask strap, fin strap, etc)

Take some "medical save a dive" stuff (like Otrivine in case you get blocked up, Swimear to prevent ear infection, vitamin supplements to fend off any oncoming illness, seasickness stuff, though the boat will probably have some).

The one thing above all others that can ruin your liveaboard IMO is sitting on the boat all week listening to how fantastic everyone elses dives were, when you can't dive youself  

Have a good trip,
Dave.

·
Registered
13,519 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Some of us are going on Blue Pearl in a few weeks.

I can't remember where I read it but Diving World information said that for some boats including BPearl they prefer guests not to take beer on board some boats as there is a bar.  The bars on board are in fact a large freezer type fridge and you help yourself, add your name to the list and keep a tally for the week, it's based on Honesty.  You are then charged at the end of the week.  If you prefer spirits or wine I would suggest you take it with you, soft drinks will be provided so no problem for mixers, although tonic is not wildly available if G & T is your tipple might want to take something else.

For this year I plan on taking a box of wine and then just buy some beers.  You wont actually be drinking much most people are too tired after a days diving, just enough to relax with in the evening.

We'll let you know when we come back whats available.

Fiona - two and a bit weeks and counting  

1 - 14 of 14 Posts