YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Hi,
Couldn't decide if this should be posted as "Dive Medicine" or "Equipment"...

I seem to be alergic to my Neoprene hood... A few days after each dive that I use it, I get a load of very small "bumps" around my jaw line, from ear to ear. This "bumps" itch like crazy!

I have tried wearing a Lycra hood underneath the neoprene one, which helps a bit, but is damn uncomfortable, and a real faff to  get both hoods on properly and my mask to seal.

Does anybody know if they make "hypo-alergic" hoods, and if so, where do you get them?

Alternatively, any other suggestions that might help?

Thanks
Andrew (abucks)

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Imported post

You could try a smear of Sudacream around your hood line before you dive. Other than that, make sure your hood is well washed in fresh water after diving and between dives if at all possible. Do you get the same round your neck from your drysuit seal?

Paul

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Imported post

Mine has a Titanium lining, might be better than just neoprene.
Failing that how about a big Brass job, they used to be popular.

Matt

·
Nefarious Activist
2,298 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Paul Beal @ April 28 2004,14:28)]You could try a smear of Sudacream around your hood line before you dive. Other than that, make sure your hood is well washed in fresh water after diving and between dives if at all possible. Do you get the same round your neck from your drysuit seal?

Paul
Interestingly I was having a similar problem with my semi-dry which I did thoroughly rinse after every days diving, I was advised not to do this and to rinse the suit in salt water instead which I have started doing and have had no problem since.

I have also found that a rinse in a weak Dettol solution has cured the problem temporarily but your suit stinks.

Ian

·
So raise your hand if you think that was a Russian
11,158 Posts
Imported post

One of our guys has a similar problem, he wears a latex hood under his noprene one and this does the trick for him.

I think it's a dry hood that goes on some suits and he just cuts the bit you'd stick it to the suit with off.

Let me know if you like futher details and I'll ring him and ask where he gets them from.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>I have no problems with the latex seals on my DS, (and I've never noticed any problems when weating my shortie - I only dive dry in the UK - so I don't know if it is just my face that is the problem  
)

I haven't dived in the sea for a while, so I don't think that it is a reaction to salt...

Matt, I'll try to get a "borrow" of a Titanium-lined hood, to see if that helps.

turbanator, if you could get the info on these latex hoods, I'd be greatful!

In the mean time, I'll try the Sudocream.

Thanks for your suggestions so far...

Regards

Andrew

·
So raise your hand if you think that was a Russian
11,158 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (abucksdiver @ April 28 2004,13:37)]turbanator, if you could get the info on these latex hoods, I'd be greatful!
Okey dokey.
He gets the from Polar Bears -  

Phone +44(0)1566 773654   e-mail [email protected],
last time he got one, it was about 15 quid, but it was a while ago, 'cos he does not need them to be water-proof, so keeps them as long as poss.

He also game me another tip that you may want to try, and that is to use an old hood (and gloves in his case), he found that the irritation was less intense, so now he 'ages' his new ones by keeping them in his DS pocket for a few dives, this probably has the same effect as rinsing them in seawater as Iani suggested.

hth

·
Registered
130 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (abucksdiver @ April 28 2004,12:01)]I seem to be alergic to my Neoprene hood... A few days after each dive that I use it, I get a load of very small "bumps" around my jaw line, from ear to ear. This "bumps" itch like crazy!

Does anybody know if they make "hypo-alergic" hoods, and if so, where do you get them?

Alternatively, any other suggestions that might help?

Thanks
Andrew (abucks)
Andrew,

Do you shave on the day of the dive? if you do then you could possibly be making your face hyper sensitive to the neoprene. Might be worth trying a little moisturiser to the face after shaving. The movement of a hood translates almost exactly to the area you are describing so possibly caused by the rubbing action on an area which has recently been scraped by the razor blade.

I had a similar reaction to the neck area with neck seal rub. Now I just don't shave the neck area if I'm going diving and it's cured the problem.

Regards, Ian.

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Now I just don't shave the neck area if I'm going diving
Ian doesnt that ruin your neck seal?

Andrew, if/when we meet up again you can borrow mine if you havent sorted it by then.

Matt

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Ian,
Last week, I deliberately didn't shave before diving (much to mrsabucks displeasure  
) so I think I can rule that one out... might nick some of "the bosses" moisturiser next time I dive anyway!

Matt,
Thanks for the offer, if I haven't sorted something, that would be great...

Regards
Andrew

·
Registered
130 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (MATTBIN @ April 28 2004,16:32)]Ian doesnt that ruin your neck seal?

Matt
Not at all. A day or so's growth doesn't affect the seal with the latex.

I also now use KY Jelly on the neck and wrist areas. Seems to stop the small irritating leaks and stop the red marks, salt rub marks.

I get and endless supply of the stuff seeing as my girlfriend is a midwife  

Regards, Ian.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts