YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all , working at the mo at a sheet metal firm , and are having thoughts on making a ali backplate , have the right material and all the gear to do this just dont have any plans or drawing to carry this out can anyone help , all the drawing that i have found on the net have been in imperial , need something in metric , can anyone help

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cheers

cheers boner only problem with this one is that it is for a single cylinder , do you have anymore info for a twin cylinder backplate

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
To make a twin setup plate just don't put the ridges sticking out on there. Magic.

Best thing would be to buy a decent plate (something like a cheap Dive Rite etc) and measure it. Making your own can take a bit of tweaking.

I helped Woz with the original Woz plates etc which I believe he no longer makes. I am happy to meet up and show you a couple of different plates and the reasons for the different features over a pint. I live in the Old Town in Hemel. Obviously in exchange for a cheap plate :) I also have a series of pet hates with some of the existing plates on the market which I can show you. Explaining on the net makes it hard to describe exactly what I'm getting at.

That said, your costs must be pretty low to compete with the cheap plates on the market at £50ish.

Digs.

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
I also have ideas for at least 2 novel and different plates with probably a reasonable market out there. Of course in exchange for the designs for those you'd need to give me a couple of plates. Which I think is fairly cheap for the potential to make plates until the end of time using my designs :D

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hi digger yeah well , at the mo just making for myself , just need the dimensions , do you have any that you could send me

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Erm, not easily, but you are more than welcome to bring your engineery measuring sticks around to measure what I have. The backplates I mean. :)

Why not convert the imperial to metric? If you've got imperial measurements?

It does make sense to do something different instead of copying an existing plate. Because you can get a backplate for about £25 secondhand, and plates don't get damaged or need much attention. So unless you want to do somehing a bit different with it it might not make a lot of sense. Unless you just like making stuff, in which case give me a shout, because I have a lot of stuff I want made :D

Digs.

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
hi all , working at the mo at a sheet metal firm , and are having thoughts on making a ali backplate , have the right material and all the gear to do this just dont have any plans or drawing to carry this out can anyone help , all the drawing that i have found on the net have been in imperial , need something in metric , can anyone help
Couldn't you just convert all the dimensions to metric? There can't be that many.

1"=25.4mm :teeth:

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Google's pretty good for that. You just wap the numbers in and it converts it. You can just type in "25.7 inches in millimetres" and it converts it.

Digs.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts