YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
aka Chimp 1 or Mavis...
10,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
There have been quite a few posts in the past concerning O2 toxicity, the signs, the symptoms, should you lift, what to do etc.

I have just finished working my way through the proceedings of the 2008 DAN Technical Diving Conference (mainly by listening to the podcast/video clips on the iPhone) but also reading the 402 page report!! I would commend anyone who has an interest in the safety of diving, especially technical diving to read this.

Reading the O2 Toxicity, the report (which can be downloaded from here along with the video clips) starts at page 38.

There is a very interesting link between CO2 retention and O2 toxicity which some of the more unfit on here should bear in mind if you are working at the limits of PO2. I remember from the audio about what to do in the event of a toxic hit but can't find it again, but the basic outcome was that even when a convulsion happens, the throat is not locked shut (they have managed to ventilate someone in convulsion so it must be open) and it would be better to lift them than to potentially wait and they would drown. (I will see if I can find this in the transcript).

Happy reading and watching...

Regards

·
aka Chimp 1 or Mavis...
10,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The reference to lifting immediately is at 55mins into the presentation at the summing up stage but is not recorded in the document. Richard Vann says that the diver must be go out of the water immediately if an airway is not present (although there is a very small chance of an embolism) and then Peter Denoble (Chairmain) sums up and says that ...the airway does not spasm shut during the clonic phase..." of a tox hit.

Regards

1 - 4 of 4 Posts