YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Mark Milburn
4,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently put a link on my Malta trip thread to some photos, but they are huge so I thought I'd post them here re-sized.

All photos are taken with a Fuji F10, in ambient light (no strobes etc.), no filters but with a wide angle lens.

Coming out of the Blue

Coming into view

Hold with diver

Stern with diver

Bridge with diver

Chikewwa Reef

·
Wreck Enthusiast
4,161 Posts
They look pretty good - much better than anything I've managed with my F11 so far! What wide-angle lens are you using?

·
Mark Milburn
4,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cheers Neil's,

I'm using the Inon UWL-100 with dome port.

Manual white balance, auto ISO, ev -1/3, multi-point focus. The Fuji is excellent when it comes to macro stuff, but WA stuff needs help, hence the WAL & Dome.

I'll post some more once I've had a chance to sort them.

·
Mark Milburn
4,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've updated the gallery with some El Faroud pics HERE

·
Just another pikey diver...
1,993 Posts
Nice - like the wide angle views. Must get a lens like that!

Excuse the ignorance of Maltese sites (or laziness to research) - but (i) what depth are these and (ii) have they had any post-processing (colour correction etc)? I ran the standard underwater correction filter over them in Photoshop but it didn't do anything nice! A lot of purple and not much better than the originals... (though I suspect some more careful correction would help a bit with the colour).

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
Very nice shots of i believe the Rozi. Small tugboat wreck.

About 30m or so depth if that's the case.

I've got very similar positioned photos with a normal lense but its nowhere near as nice.

Sadly my Canon A620/housing cant take different lenses so im stuck with stock. The above makes me jealous. Wide angle lens in good vis seems to make a hell of a difference.

The Rozi for comparison with the wide shot above.
Some faroud and other malta here: Malta 2006

·
Registered
8,035 Posts
(ii) have they had any post-processing (colour correction etc)? I ran the standard underwater correction filter over them in Photoshop but it didn't do anything nice! A lot of purple and not much better than the originals... (though I suspect some more careful correction would help a bit with the colour).

I had a little play with the colour correction. :)

·
Registered
8,035 Posts
I've got very similar positioned photos with a normal lense but its nowhere near as nice.

The Rozi for comparison with the wide shot above.
I really like your pic! Sometimes different effects can give the pics a different feeling. Blue, colour corrected, sepia all have different feeling. (All done with photoshop actions. Not my hard work :)) Often sepia looks really cool for wrecks! I think so anyway! :)

·
Mark Milburn
4,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nice - like the wide angle views. Must get a lens like that!

Excuse the ignorance of Maltese sites (or laziness to research) - but (i) what depth are these and (ii) have they had any post-processing (colour correction etc)? I ran the standard underwater correction filter over them in Photoshop but it didn't do anything nice! A lot of purple and not much better than the originals... (though I suspect some more careful correction would help a bit with the colour).
The bottom is about 36m down.

The only post processing is a little unsharp-mask, that's it, no colour correction. If you look at Big Si's corrected versions (which are very good) you can see that the sea bed on the 2nd shows signs of colour erosion, this is a combination of the high ISO and low colour range due to depth. Although I was using a manual white balance, which I had to set at 20m, it can't really cope with these depths, a filter wouldn't either, the colours aren't there.

String, your Rozi picture is very good, if you look around you may find a housing that does take external lenses, I use an Ikelite housing with the F10.

·
Just another pikey diver...
1,993 Posts
T'other attempts at colour correction were the same as mine (ie probably using the same filter action) - lots of purple, no blue, no red... which is explained fully by the depth!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Confusion over wide angle lens

Hi there, forgive me for being a pratt but what type of wide angle lens did you use on the F10. I have bought an F30 and didnt realise you could fit a wide angle lens to it, now i know its a different camera but normally they get better with each model , or they normally do. Am i missing something or should i refer to the first sentence ! ..... any help much appreciated.

Cheers

Wooflad

·
Mark Milburn
4,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi there, forgive me for being a pratt but what type of wide angle lens did you use on the F10. I have bought an F30 and didnt realise you could fit a wide angle lens to it, now i know its a different camera but normally they get better with each model , or they normally do. Am i missing something or should i refer to the first sentence ! ..... any help much appreciated.

Cheers

Wooflad
Basically what David P said, I went down the route of an Ikelite housing which takes a 67mm thread, so I can use any 67mm lenses. Then just screw them in when you want. I also run twin S&S strobes fired from a double fibre optic cables on the F10 for deep UK stuff.

·
No longer a Scapa Virgin
2,115 Posts
Hi Mate

What method do you use for setting white balance? I know how to do it on the camera but what I mean is did you point the camera to the surface at 20mtr to set or do you use a slate or similar?

·
Mark Milburn
4,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What method do you use for setting white balance? I know how to do it on the camera but what I mean is did you point the camera to the surface at 20mtr to set or do you use a slate or similar?
I point the camera at the surface, with a dome port the angle is so wide you'd need a huge slate, if not you'd hold it too close, it'd be shadowed by the camera and give you the wrong settings if it can get enough light to set. It also works well without a WAL, it is the light source after all.

·
Mark Milburn
4,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The biggest problem is at depth where there is only either blue or green left, if that. The pictures below were taken at the Inland sea in Gozo, we swam through the cave and descended to the bottom, about 62m.

Black and white as we approach the bottom, it show the lack of ambient light even with the dome port

On the bottom, very blue, white balance has minimal affect

Posing, due to the low light it's fine for shapes but not for detail

All of these photos can be improved with some post processing, none have been altered and are as taken at 60m+.

·
No longer a Scapa Virgin
2,115 Posts
I point the camera at the surface, with a dome port the angle is so wide you'd need a huge slate, if not you'd hold it too close, it'd be shadowed by the camera and give you the wrong settings if it can get enough light to set. It also works well without a WAL, it is the light source after all.

Thanks mate, good point about the dome port, wasn't thinking it through properly :embarassed:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts