YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
24,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought it was probably about time I posted a little trip report, simply, of course, to show that I do go diving every now and again, and to redress the balance of my posts a bit.

I recently went on this dive, which I thought was excellent…..

I had only a vague plan for the dive. Turn up, find a willing partner, go diving. I hadn’t met or dived with my buddy before this, so we spent time with tea and chat before getting kitted up. After completing our checks, my buddy and I entered the water. The visibility was excellent, about 6-8m although, as the dive progressed, there were one or two areas where the visibility was a lot less.

There was a vide variety of vegetation, from myriophyllum and elodea to other much larger and taller reeds. Amongst this vast greenery lived an even larger variety of aquatic life. Crayfish, mussels small fish and some crab type animals used the greenery for sustenance and shelter,

Being careful to keep clear of the delicate areas, we carefully navigated towards other areas of interest on the dive site. Fine tuning our buoyancy, as the bottom contours meant our depth was frequently changing by small amounts. Keeping to the correct bearing we followed our plan. We edged our way under the overhanging part of a rocky outcrop as we admired the scenery and all the points of interest. I have dived this site many times before, so I knew some of the more interesting features to point out to my buddy, who was only on his second visit to this site. I knew that just a little further lived one of the largest fishes found locally. Using natural referencing to support our compass heading, I found its lair. It was there, waiting, very still in the water, for any prey to come its way.

Checking our air, it was obvious that we had to surface and exit.

What more could we want. Excellent scenery, the whole dive going exactly to our plan, no kit failures and great visibility.

What an excellent dive!

Dive Data:
Bottom Time: 32 mins
Max depth: 10.1m

:teeth:

·
YDs Most Southerly Monkey
6,434 Posts
I thought it was probably about time I posted a little trip report, simply, of course, to show that I do go diving every now and again, and to redress the balance of my posts a bit.

I recently went on this dive, which I thought was excellent…..

I had only a vague plan for the dive. Turn up, find a willing partner, go diving. I hadn’t met or dived with my buddy before this, so we spent time with tea and chat before getting kitted up. After completing our checks, my buddy and I entered the water. The visibility was excellent, about 6-8m although, as the dive progressed, there were one or two areas where the visibility was a lot less.

There was a vide variety of vegetation, from myriophyllum and elodea to other much larger and taller reeds. Amongst this vast greenery lived an even larger variety of aquatic life. Crayfish, mussels small fish and some crab type animals used the greenery for sustenance and shelter,

Being careful to keep clear of the delicate areas, we carefully navigated towards other areas of interest on the dive site. Fine tuning our buoyancy, as the bottom contours meant our depth was frequently changing by small amounts. Keeping to the correct bearing we followed our plan. We edged our way under the overhanging part of a rocky outcrop as we admired the scenery and all the points of interest. I have dived this site many times before, so I knew some of the more interesting features to point out to my buddy, who was only on his second visit to this site. I knew that just a little further lived one of the largest fishes found locally. Using natural referencing to support our compass heading, I found its lair. It was there, waiting, very still in the water, for any prey to come its way.

Checking our air, it was obvious that we had to surface and exit.

What more could we want. Excellent scenery, the whole dive going exactly to our plan, no kit failures and great visibility.

What an excellent dive!

Dive Data:
Bottom Time: 32 mins
Max depth: 10.1m

:teeth:
Elodea and Myrophyllum? So was it Capers or Stoney?

·
Registered
24,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Please tell me you conducted the dive on your pony only! :D
Single 12. Although I did only use about 50 bar and most of that went into my suit as I had too much weight on. The pony has 80% in it (as has my stage) and it would have been a waste!

·
the kind of human wreckage that you love
11,983 Posts
Top report Scubee and Wraysbury is a fab place for getting wet, practising and bimbling.

Wednesday evenings are tremendous fun and quite a social gathering now. So to all you criticisers............................................................................................... You don't know what a fun time you're missing :p

Or maybe you do and you're just jealous :rolleyes:

·
Registered
10,794 Posts
Top report Scubee and Wraysbury is a fab place for getting wet, practising and bimbling.

Wednesday evenings are tremendous fun and quite a social gathering now. So to all you criticisers............................................................................................... You don't know what a fun time you're missing :p

Or maybe you do and you're just jealous :rolleyes:
Hmmmm....let me weigh that one up......Weymouth....Wraysbury.....erm......you choose :D

Although I have to confess to the occasional post flight Wraysbury flop :D

·
11,983 Posts
Hmmmm....let me weigh that one up......Weymouth....Wraysbury.....erm......you choose :D

Although I have to confess to the occasional post flight Wraysbury flop :D
Out of interest, where do you pop in at Weymouth when you don't want/can't afford a boat, the time of year means a boat'll probably be blown out and/or you just want to check kit/practise skills ?

I am looking to move near the coast but it's pointless if I can't actually go to the beach and/or go in for a "safe" and easy shore dive (ie NOT Chesil beach) Toying with Chichester atm as it seems a good location to get to various dives site East and West. Oh, and it's pretty :teeth:

·
Registered
8,035 Posts
Out of interest, where do you pop in at Weymouth when you don't want/can't afford a boat, the time of year means a boat'll probably be blown out and/or you just want to check kit/practise skills ?

I am looking to move near the coast but it's pointless if I can't actually go to the beach and/or go in for a "safe" and easy shore dive (ie NOT Chesil beach) Toying with Chichester atm as it seems a good location to get to various dives site East and West. Oh, and it's pretty :teeth:
On the last bank holiday weekend in Weymouth (Portland really) we still completed 2 dives every day of the weekend even though the whole of the south coast was blown out. We were stuck to a shuttle boat out to a wreck in the harbour, still got to dive though :)

·
Registered
10,794 Posts
I've never had a harbour dive canned and the club rib costs less than a trip to Vobster or Wraysbury so usually it's a case of that. Plus...now Dive Dorset are doing the 10 dives for a ton a harbour dive only costs £10 :)

Trust me Weymouth is perfect :D apart from the tourists!

·
11,983 Posts
Trust me Weymouth is perfect :D apart from the tourists!
And the, alleged, inbreds :eek:mg:

Weymouth looks a bit far for me to travel to Littlehampton, Eastbourne, Langstone etc. Whereas Chichester is, almost, equi-distant, not too bad travelling to work and probably cheaper as it's not on the coast.
Of course Weymouth is more on the way to Devon where I have fancied living for years

Sorry for digressing your thread Scubee but I might be well placed in Chichester for YDer over night stays :)

·
It doesn't look like that from where I'm sitting..
4,745 Posts
I used to live in Chichester (and Selsey and Emsworth), 'Chi' (pronounced ch-eye, as apposed to ch-e) as it is known locally, is a great place to live, but bloody expensive to buy a place in. Local diving from Witterings and Selsey... about an hour and a half to Weymouth and the same to Brighton - Oh and London!

If I was to move back down south, then it is definitely the place I would look to live. It's got good shopping, great pubs and restaurants... and when you are walking around at night, it feels reasonably safe.

Do it!

Pete

·
11,983 Posts
I used to live in Chichester (and Selsey and Emsworth), 'Chi' (pronounced ch-eye, as apposed to ch-e) as it is known locally, is a great place to live, but bloody expensive to buy a place in. Local diving from Witterings and Selsey... about an hour and a half to Weymouth and the same to Brighton - Oh and London!

If I was to move back down south, then it is definitely the place I would look to live. It's got good shopping, great pubs and restaurants... and when you are walking around at night, it feels reasonably safe.
Fab :teeth: Thanks Pete :thumbsup:
Do it!

Pete
I think I might :D

·
Registered
247 Posts

Do it!

Pete

Pete,

Second all of that - but I am biased - I live in Southbourne (right next to Chi - for the benefit of others). Good central place if you tend to dive S/East and S/West coast......also some reasonable shore diving - not a fan myself though.

Also there is a good BSAC club that has an air and nitox compressor very near - :) :) - I am going straight to hell for that one!!! :) :) :)

Also near Horsea (6m lake for testing kit) - 1.5 hours from Vobster.......again not a fan, but needs must.

ATB:)

Roy

1 - 20 of 37 Posts