YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Driving down the coast on th A55 on Friday evening the sea conditions were pretty encouraging it looked as flat as a mill pond. Crossing over the Brittania Bridge I made contact with Gav and Ben who had already established base camp at the Mostyn Arms in Menai Bridge.  After being talked in with directions I was soon quaffing a pint and talking about the next days options. Then back to the Anglesy Arms (our digs) with the pretty dramatic backdrop on the Menai Bridge. We unpacked and retired to the bar to await the arrival of some of the rest of the YD team.(the third installment were arriving Sat morning). After the arrivals and hello's it was off down into the town to the local Indian Restuarant. After some food it was back at the Anglesey Arms & more diving yarns in full swing with what seemed to be the local caberet an elderley group of the local Welsh male voice choir.

Saturday morning we awoke to the wind blowing up, and wondered if our dive plans would be thwarted. A quick breakfast and we were all down by the jetty meeting with the rest of the group who travelled down that morning.
Having heard good reports of Scots boat and the services of Quest diving first impressions lived up to expectations.  All aboard and it wasn't long before we were motoring through the Menai Straits with a pretty impressive views under both the bridges.          

First dive of the day was a wreck the "Kimya" 10M an oil tanker, the vis was poor however we all had a good root around until things got stirred up.
At the end of this dive we all availed ourselves of one of the many welcome amenities of a the boat( microwave and kettle included). The tail lift was something else, step on the platform and your winched up to deck level, so much better than clambering up a ladder.  With us all back on board we consumed welcome hot drinks and biscuits. We were then underway by now the sun was out again. We were off making good use of the 26knots making speed to another part of the island. On route we intercepted a pod of Dolphins .

The wreck of the Norman Court in about 6m was our next dive ,a clipper ship. Scots the skipper's excellent briefing allowed us to pick out some of the interesting parts of the ship cannon included. The visibility was a little better on this dive, again easily stirred up with a sandy bottom. Back on the boat Gav had the misfortune to see his twinset somersaulting from its roped position on the boat. Yeah "Sods law" you've guessed it, causing some damage to one of his first stages.
After some fixing assisted by the skippers tool kit, Gav retrieved the situation ready for dive three. On route we were again treated to the site of a pod of Dolphins.

Final dive of the day was a reef, aprox 10m with plenty of gulleys to explore and the remainder of a cargo of bricks. Mark and I had a good mouch about, noticed on the swim back a couple of seals hanging about but weren't interested in us. Back on the boat and the days diving over with the sun out we sped past Caernarfon Castle and battered our way back to port through the  overfalls and cauldron like tidal race of the Menai straights it took some pretty classy navigating, Full Marks to Scott the skipper.

Thanks Mark Davies, for arranging and putting together a good days diving, with a top notch boat.  Considering the time of year the weather and water conditions were a plus.
THANKS MARK        

3,278 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Hi

Nice to meet you all and a good days diving, no matter what the weather is like there is diving to be had in Anglesey. My max depth for the day was 14 mtrs and after 3 dives still had 90 bar left in my twins

Andy

· Registered
13,342 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>First of all, Thanks Mark for a very enjoyable day out.

It was nice to put some faces to names and thanks Nigel for having to be my buddy.  I am not normally as bad as that.  First dive no computer, third dive duff shoulder dump and crappy ascent.

Don't worry I'll be better next time.  

Lastly thanks Dave (sorry if I have the wrong name, I really am rubbish with names)  for carrying my twin set back to the car.

Fiona

· iGeek therefore iTrek
3,215 Posts
Imported post

Great dives, good boat and most importantly great company - Thanks to you all for making it so enjoyable.

Noel  

· Registered
564 Posts
Imported post

I,ve got the photos but how do I upload them onto this page help.Nice day out and good company and entertainment from gavs kit as it made a break for it.

nigel

· Registered
12,115 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (parahandy @ Dec. 07 2003,19:57)]....Back on the boat Gav had the misfortune to see his twinset somersaulting from its roped position on the boat. Yeah "Sods law" you've guessed it, causing some damage to one of his first stages.....
Gav!! Dude!!

Are you going for a 'one fall and two submissions' finale with your kit??  

So, and to recap: that's the now infamous "Double-Lutz-with-Pike-and-Tripple-salcko off the Back of yer 4'wer-bi-4'wer'" (tricky, but points for style); the "What-should-have-been-a-straight-foward-12-Inch-Hop-onto-the-Scapa-Boat" cartwheel (messy, but still a point-scorer for pulling-off the 'A-over-T' manoeuvre) and now the "Should-have-been-locked-down-but-fancied-the-plunge-anyway" tumble!?

Well, that's the hat-trick. What are you going to regale us with next?? The Rings? The Pommel Horse? The Parallel Bars??
: Or are you going into coaching now your playing days are over??
:

Take it easy mate and stay safe.

1,770 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>Kit is all repaired and thanks to the gift of a new angle thingy from Ben  - at no cost whatsoever.

You should be happy that I'm testing various products to destruction for everybody.

So far I've found out that twinsets dropped from cars fare worse than ones from boats.

Weezle extremes get holes in if you fall whilst getting off a boat whilst wearing them.

And your leg can get cold if you cut up the side of the aforementioned Weezles to get your leg out after stitches.

So, if you have any kit you'd like "tested to destruction" send to:

Gavin Yates
Freaky Villas
Edinburgh

· Resident Sprog Plod
819 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#8D38C9'>look you lot, I now have a designer antique 100 year old brick to go with my two hundred year old peice of coal, my one hundred year old bolt and my three hundred year anchor.

So, silence with the jokes or said brick will be flying in an olde style through car window.

As for Gav........ thank god he is more lucky than he is a clumsly, useless, etc....... always good for a laugh anyway...

· Have You Seen My 'Demi-john'?
972 Posts
Imported post

ben  would that be the small fishing boat anchor  from plymouth  300 yrs old
?
?
??

· Exiled in Scotland...
6,245 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Ben @ Dec. 09 2003,21:17)]look you lot, I now have a designer antique 100 year old brick ...
Wow wee!! My house is full of them.. ..its made of them!!!

· Resident Sprog Plod
819 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#8D38C9'>right,

thats three,

all of yous is going on the list.

Starting alphabeticaly,

yer all getting it hillbilly sty`le.

Bloody pinko, commie, guardian readers...... no more disrespecting the ancient anchor or antique coal or there will be trouble

· Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Imported post

Ben's creation of his in house underwater grotto at home must be a first for that area. Anchor, Coal, brickwork and all thats needed a  few choice pieces of seaweed it will add to the this unique experience.  In rough weather maybe we can all go to Ben's, don our suits and be sprayed with liberal amounts of sea water. Just the ticket to combat those winter diving withdrawal symptoms.:) LOL

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.