YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 143 Posts

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Right Troops, this looks like it's taking form and looking like a play!! Here's the original details from the thread that was started on 'Wrecks'.

Lou, Tim and Andy2Tanx are already up for it. Please can we have other interested parties names in the hat??

[Original Post]:

" OK then, let's try this as a stake in the ground.

DATE: Saturday 08th and Sunday 09th March 2003
VENUE: Anglesey Wrecks (various) and Treaddur Bay shore dives
ACCOMMODATION: TBA Various, but will include B&B, Camping/Tents or kipping in your vehicle.

The site location means that everyone will have to travel so, with a few exceptions, no one can claim home/lazy advantage.

The wrecks range from 10 to 40+ metres (plenty in the 20 m range for those not comfy with deeper stuff) and the shore diving is glorious. We can also hire RIB and Cox for the day if we so desire, or just the RIB, as there are a number of folk on here that have their RYA Part 1 & 2 and can skipper the beast.

If we use Mike's Dive Shop at T-Bay, then we can park and get fills - 21% and Nitrox. The benefit of using Mike is that his dive centre is literally on the beach, a hop, skip and waddle to the water's edge and in striking distance (3 mins in a car) to one of the island's top eateries (to suit all budgets). See here:

http://www.ateal.co.uk/dsa/

OK boys and girls, let's have your hats in the ring please and we can look forward to getting this gig off the ground.

Safely assume that any hard boat we take out will cost about £35.00 per person per day, plus incidentals (fuel etc.) Again, safely assume that we'll be doing at least two dives a day off the boat.

Accomodation will range from Campsite fees to the cost of a B&B (say £15 to £30 per night, dependent on quality). Do not let the fact that I've not yet posted precise per night costs for either B&B's or Campsites be a governing/deciding factor in your wish to join this trip - we are, after all, going for the diving.

Goes without saying that non-diving partners are most welcome. I'll go ahead and begin enquiring as to decent hard boats for that weekend and get back here with more precise info on the trip out-lined above.

Can I please see what level of interest exists by you guys posting here whether you're up for it or not so that I can see type and size of boat(s) that will need to be booked??"

Come on then, let's be having you. With me added to the above three that makes four (if my maths hasn't completely deserted me!).

·
The Artist formerly known as 'Kirky'
2,228 Posts
Imported post

Book it Danno !!!! - I wont need accomodation as I`ll drive there from Runcorn each day. Anyone wishing to share the ride & costs let me know. (second thoughts - provisionally book me for some accomodation based on the fact that I might join you all and get pissed as well !!)

(Edited by kirky at 6:59 pm on Jan. 6, 2003)

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Imported post

Bren, old man, your maths does indeed desert you!  I said TWO off southern ladies.  That is me AND Caroline for the trip....so....

Lou + Caroline + Tim + Andy + You makes a full Famous Five.

Now Kirky too, this thing has legs, y'know!

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Imported post

Well I know I've already said yes on the dog and bone mate but just to make it official like....

Willo's going!!

BTW Lou, like the pics and also very impressed with the side mounted pony's :thumb:

Look forward to meeting you in taffy land

Dave

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Imported post

Good Lord!! Sorry Lou, my fault entirely! Brain-fart for a minute there.

So we're going in to bat with a serious seven:

* Lou
* Caroline
* Kirky
* Andy2Tanx
* Tim
* Bren
* Davey Willo

- any more for any more!?

This will be a great opp to put faces to names to those weird geezers that you only ever read on here! Time to get get in amongst it YD - great diving, giggle-fest over a post-dive sherry with the Troop..... you can't hide for ever.......

Come on YD........I know you wannit - don't make me beg!! ;)

(Edited by Bren Tierney at 8:19 pm on Jan. 6, 2003)

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Imported post

Hi Lawrence,

Yes mate, got your email, sorry, just not round to responding yet. If you're considering coming over for this Anglesey/Trearddur gig, you might want to think about the following:

* If you made it all the way from Canada just to join the troops for a 2-day diving weekend, then I doubt anyone would begrudge you not having to buy a beer whilst you're here - indeed, we'd be mightily impressed to say the least!

* It's gonna be a long haul (like I need to tell you that!) from the Great Lakes to North Wales - Heathrow (LHR) or Gatwick (LGW), whilst still both options, should be substituted, if possible, for Manchester (airport three letter code MAN). It's a lot nearer and will mean that you get more time on the ground/under the water. Obviously you'd need to leave a day either side of diving before you flew - for any potential DCS issues.

* There is a campsite at Treaddur Bay, if you are thinking about bringing your hooch with you (A-frames and ponchos at the ready!!), although I can't promise the heat of Jungle Training in either Belize or Brunei in North Wales at this time of year ;)

Belive me dude, we'd love to see and go diving with ya (indeed we'd be flattered you made such a Herculean effort to get there!), but we will perfectly understand if you want to hang fire until we have a longer trip organised.

Take it easy mate and let me know your thoughts.

Cheers,

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

Are you trying to be awkward Mr Tierney. Running a jaunt on the same weekend as me.:boxing: Why don't you all come up to the Sound Of Mull. That would be real fun to try and organise.:banghead: If you are interested I can send you out the word doccy.
Peter

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Imported post

Hey Pete,

Sorry mate, this gig was rudderless before (see the thread on 'Wrecks') as no day, time, date or venue had been suggested as a stake in the ground. I didn't consciously or otherwise seek to clash with any gig you're putting together, I just picked a date sufficiently far enough ahead to be realistic, was reasonably equi-distant for the troop and that didn't clash with my work schedule or my wife's holidays. Sorry if it's bumped with your's mate. But yes, please send me the word doc on Sound of Mull any way.

Cheers,

·
Registered
162 Posts
Imported post

Yeeeeeessssss! :yelclap: The boss / wife said I can go as far as I get her some thing from Herrods at the air port ;)

Now I can start looking for the flight.

Lawrence

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

Sorry Bren.:lurk_2:
Lawrence,
        Rob has said he can bring you up here on my Sound trip. Just to let you know that there is one un-pencilled-in space left.
Peter

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Imported post

Hey Pete & Lawrence,

Yes, I think it would time better spent if you did do the longer dive trip to Mull - especially as you're coming this far. If Rob's offering to pick you at the airport and drive you, then go for it and enjoy! We'll see you on your next trip over.

Lawrence, I'm only aware of a 'Harrods' at LHR, not Gatwick - I could be wrong, but I use both airports frequently and can't recall a Harrods at Gatwick.

Take it easy guys, enjoy safe diving and I very much look forward to your dive reports when you get back! What with Gavin's journalistic capabilities and Pete's turn of phrase and eye for the obscure, they should be stonkers ;)

Cheers,

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

I find that offensive(ish). Why is Gav capable and I end up obscure. Surely odd/weird/strange, but for gods sake, not obscure.:eyecrazy:

Peter

·
Registered
162 Posts
Imported post

Hi Peter, I guess it for the Sound of Mull. Before you firm any bookings let me call my travel agent tomorrow (7th Jan) and see what flights are there.

If any one got maps or info or who's willing to give me lift I would be so grateful for that. I hope I'll manage a flight. This is great. Where are we sleeping up there? Motels, camping, under the cars
???

Thanks

Lawrence

·
Snap Happy
2,802 Posts
Imported post

Hey Laurence,

To make your trip easier to could still fly to Manchester and then pop over to Leeds to pick something up for your wife at Harvey Nicholls - I know it not Harrods but considered by many to be more select - and at least you can then say you've been to Yorkshire - I know its not Lancashire, but considered by many to be more select ;)

Whatever you do mate, respect for the efforts your making to come diving with us. Here's to you fella.

Tim

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

Pencil me in too, also maybe my other half but I can't say for sure right at the moment.

Re the organization, (from my own experience of this) may I suggest a reasonable size non-refundable deposit (say £30 quid) payable fairly early in the proceedings?

Otherwise folk have a tendancy to become sidetracked by other committments. That way if one or two have to drop out, the plan doesn't go completely pearshaped.
Chee-az
Steve

·
Registered
288 Posts
Imported post

:yelclap:
Well Done Bren,
Put me down as definite and Ben too. I've e-mailed him just to let him know as he's in red Sea as we speak (lucky bastard!!) - I'm glad I was at Caps Sat and Sun - far too warm for me in Sharm!!

Looks like being a good gig with plenty for everybody in way of depths/preferences etc.

Let us know the costs and I'll sort out the cheque.
Cheers
John

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Imported post

Ok then, YD Team Sheet now reads:

Deffos:

* Lou
* Caroline
* Kirky
* Andy2Tanx
* Tim
* Bren
* Bren's mate Ged from Nottingham
* Davey Willo
* John Holmes
* Wee Ben

Total = 10

Possibles:

* Jay
* Stevie W
* Stevie W's Mrs.

Total = 3

I'll be posting options for boats and sites etc. later this week, and then I shall be asking you to send a deposit by cheque for the given amount. Cheques get places, as has been stated. Looking like a hum-dinger of a gig, what?

(Edited by Bren Tierney at 1:25 pm on Jan. 7, 2003)

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

Additionally (and stating the obvious), folk may want to consider car-sharing to reduce costs, for instance I can usually fit myself plus two other divers + kit in my car, I'll be travelling from Tyneside and could go via a selection of places 'en route', so if my other half is coming I'll still have space for another YD-er
Chee-az
Steve

1 - 20 of 143 Posts