YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Small, yet perfectly formed...
3,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

<font color='#736AFF'>Hey all

A great big thanks to Bren n all for organising a brilliant weekend in Anglesey. We  really enjoyed our dives and the whole weekend was a hoot.

Highlights
Four fantastic dives, especially the first dive on the hardboat on sunday when it seems that the girls found a chuffing great wreck that the boys were unable to locate.....

Meeting such a lovely bunch of folks and getting in amongst it all.

Completing my nitrox course (just waiting for the marks from the exam which was completed over breakfast this morning). Thanks Chris.

Really really enjoyed the whole trip. YD rocks.

When is the next one?

Jules

·
Registered
79 Posts
Imported post

Well, trust everyone had a great weekend. Diving conditions on the Saturday at least were pretty damn well near perfect. Good vis, plenty of wrecks, loads of life and no rain or wind to speak of.

The Merseyside branch foray into the oggin started on Friday evening with a late start towing our two boats, meaning we had to hastily rearrange our RV point from the Trearddur Bay Hotel to the Anchorage to ensure we could get some cooked food after 9.00pm - thereby missing the chance of a few sherberts with the YD group. Not to worry, there was all weekend to get aquainted.

Saturday Dawned and our plan to dive the Segontium on Low water was looking good - weather overcast, sea smooth!! As we only had 4 takers for the Saturday morning dive and one Ocean Diver and my wife Hazel who was nursing a chest infection, we decided to take the non divers with us for the ride. Joined by Joey and Kieth in their boat and some divers from Southport SAC, launched at Trearddur and set out for the site. After a nice steady run out to the Segontium, we plopped the shot in and kitted up. Bringing our passengers meant all four of us from our boat could get in first all together, ensuring the best vis - yes, that's forward planning for you!

Down to the wreck, to find the shot only a meter and a half from where I put it the previous week - quite satisfying that, I can tell you. Dropped down to the seabed and attached a lifting bag to assist in lifting the 56 lb weight up onto the deck and began our tour of this small but very beautiful wreck. Nobody seems to know how she sank, but she was a mussel dredger and she lies in 32 mtrs of water upright and on an even keel, her prop has gone but she still has a few portholes intact and flapping in the current. Only problem is that the route to the inside is silted up, requiring an air lift or hydraulic pump to suck it out. Might be quite interesting too as there might be other bits and bobs inside too.

Swimming along the starboard side, we came across a couple of decent sized lobsters, one berried and one soft shelled so we continued our tour locating a couple of huge conger lurking below the hold level. Found a second copper tray on the port side to match the one I spotted last week wich was left for others to view.

It doesn't take long to circle the wreck, and being so small and identifyable, distance lines can be dispensed with making returning to the shot a simple affair. No great long decompression dive, only 5 minutes on the line saw us complete a lovely dive, to be greated by blue skies and another dive boat over the site who wanted to use our shot.

No problem, they could use our shot, but they had a max of ten minutes before our last pair of divers bagged it to the surface. All divers recovered, we opted to search out a mark we had been given some 7 miles from the Segontium in 45 mtrs. After shooting over to this position, we searched for about 45 minutes, finding a definate subject on the sounder rising some 4 mtrs in a surrounding depth of 47 mtrs - one to check out the following day!

Back to Trearddur and lunch on the restaurant patio next door to the lifeboat station, scrummy. By this time a few more of our members had turned up, two of whom had arrived to see us leaving the beach for the Segontium - bugger! Lesson her - Must phone before setting off next time. After lunch we all set off to the Primprose Hill in Abraham's Bosom across the bay from South Stack. Moored up to a lobby pot and settled down to a nice long dive in about 15 mtrs of water. Low and behold John found a clay pipe, the second to be found by our group in the last few weeks. Great dive, slight run to clear away the muck from digging with really good vis of about 7 mtrs.

Back to our diggs and a bit of a rush to get everything ready for the Barbecue we were hosting at 7.30 on Porth Daffarch Beach. Arriving there, we found about 30 or so members of the Bristol Snorkel Group, who were having a great time, with games, a juggler, fire eating and other delights. Really nice crowd too and we all fitted together well. Where were the Yorkshire Divers, we asked!! We set up the barbie, gazebo and music and low and behold they started showing up in ones and twos from about 9.00 grasping their grub and beer. Not many from the YD I have to say, still Brendan showed up after dark, just like Dracula. Does he always wear shades????Got to meet with some really nice people that night, an evening that had absolutely EVERYTHING, including a pod of about 15 dolphins playing in the bay - quite a moving experience to see forty people all running down to the waters edge in a setting sun, like a scene from the cover of an Ibiza Chillout Session. Magic. The dolphins returned again, but must have got bored. Must watch out for Dolphin shit on the Missouri next time!

Sunday dawned, to a forecast that wasn't quite what we expected but good enough for us. Launched both our boats today as we were expecting about 17 plus a potential new member with his 8.5 mtr Delta - nice!

Set off with all in tow for four of us to take a quick bounce on yesterday's target in 47 mtrs to see if it was a wreck - it wasn't, just a large rocky mound in surrounding sand and silt. Vis was good though at a depth of 47 mtrs, just a tad dark. Back into the boat and off to the Primrose Hill again 'cause evryone likes the wreck, excellent vis, lots of life but no big descoveries this time so back to Trearddur and lunch quite late at 3.00pm, quick bite to eat and then off to the Hermine for a quick dip to round off the weekend. Everyone showered and packed away we set off for home at 7.00pm, stopping off at the White House, Rhualt, the NW divers traditional Sunday evening haunt for a meal and a pint. Our return journey ending by locking up our boats in the boathouse at 10.30pm, with a wash down planned for the following evening.

Another great weekend. Just hope yours was as good as ours. It should heve been, Anglesey has some of the best diving around and conditions were perfect this weekend - for us all.

Safe diving

Geoff Oldfield
DO Merseyside Branch 5

·
Charter Boat Skipper, Salvage Diver & YBOD abuser
1,605 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Julia,
Glad you enjoyed it
. I can also reveal that it wasn't one of the girls who deployed a Delayed Crisp Packet from the Dakota on Sunday!
The ladies were also up for an early start, deeper/better first dive on Sunday.
Nice to put a few faces to names.
No doubt be seeing some of you again,
ATB,
         Terry

·
Registered
2 Posts
Imported post

Totally agree with Jules, Bren you did a fantastic job in organising everyone this weekend, you are a natural - we really enjoyed it, there are a great group of crew in YD, look forward to the next trip (if you will have a novice like me along).

Best to all,

Lesley C.

·
Resident Serbian Sniper
492 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Julia C @ July 07 2003,00:14)]chuffing great wreck that the boys were unable to locate.....
Well I found a bit of it,..as I hurtled past  
As said,nice to put some faces to the names,see you all soon,Hobby.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>

Just got back from Turkey at 6am this morning so unable to join in the fun but I'd just like to add my congrats with everyone else's to |Bren for all his hard work and just reward after the first gig was trashed by the weather. well done mate and hope everyone who was there had a great time.
See you all soon

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Managed to get to the Trearddur Bay Hotel for about 19.45 hrs and was duly met by Andy2Tanx (and family), Jay + Adele, Dave & Jaren J, Jules, Lesley, Fiona, Chris & Liz, Tim, Daz and a contingent of the Bristol Massif and Kev W, Bob, 'Wildman', and Redcar Nigel. I think that's everyone!

I quickly checked in and then went with 'Andy Tanx-a-Deux' (to give him his new nomme de guerre) to drop his car off back the Valley of the Rocks - where a goodly number of Troop YD had made camp. Thence back to the T-Bay Hotel for 'commencements'.

The eveing proceeded with decent scoff, a few 'moderately polite medium-sweet sherries', much banter and laughter aplenty. Indeed, the team was on the Jazz.

So, seeing as the evening weather was still gloriously warm, and as the banter rolled on, we decamped to an outside terrace and carried on the gigglesworth before doing a roll-call against shore, hard-boat and RIB parties for the next day's diving. Suitable satisfied that everyone was on the nod for the next morning's RV points and times, we all made our merry ways back to our respective places of kip.

Next morning the Hard-boat party managed to RV and get underway without issue. Going out of Amlwch port, they hooked-up at 10.00 hrs and set off in convoy.

The RIB party had originally been booked on the 09.00 hrs RIB off the T-Bay slipway on the Saturday morning; a swift call from me to the Skipper (Diggs) the night before managed to rearrange this to an 11.00 hrs departure.

Setting off over the millpond bay of Trearddur, and in glorious sunshine, Jay, Tanx and I grinned like men with a serious reason to be grinning - we were going diving (worth noting here that Jules C has also been infected with this happy disposition). Laughing and joking and looking forward to the wet, I turned out of the wind to glance at the wake - only for the wind to get behind my glasses, lift them from my face and deposit them in the drink..........bugger! £200 down the swannie. Jay just looked at me and considered a stifled grin - before I looked at him, swore in the caliber of the highest Anglo Saxon tradition and began smiling myself. What else could I do? They were irretrievable. What the made weekend's prospects more fun was that Bren now had to spend the remainder of the gig in his prescription sun-glasses, hence Geoff Oldfield's remake above...

Heigh-ho. These things are sent to try us.

Dive One was on what remains of the 'Hermine', now reduced to a few plates on the seabed, but still a pleasant bimble. At about 16 metres to the sand, she is an interesting enough diversion - although we did manage, in changeable current to bottom out at about 20 metres. Viz was quite happily 8 metres and the water a smashing 15'C. Jay and I were set the task of 'finding summat interesting' for Tanx to take photies of - which we found in abundance: Sunstars, decent size Dogfish (which stayed in situ for as long as Andy was happy to take snaps - and the resulting photies are very good!), and octopus, fish of all difference size and hue, a scrap between two healthy looking Spider Crabs, and a ruck of other beasties. Suitably happy, we bagged off, ascended and resumed the RIB back to the slipway.

It was now about 12.30 hours, and we had until 14.30 hrs until the next dive. So, back to VotR's campsite and 'Fort YD'. We broke out the brews whilst Jay laid on his culinary skills and knocked-up a stew and peas. I tend not to eat between dives so Andy and Jay waded in before we all sat round discussing the dive and generally chewing the fat with Jay's wife, Adele, and Andy's good lady, Rachel (and wee Sophie). These occasions are now becoming so banter-laiden that you struggle to remember all the topics under discussion and the many one-liners delivered and jests played. Anyway, the time raced by and soon enough it was time to head back to the skipway for Dive Two.

Now joined by Kirky and Fiona B, we were given a choice of 4 dive sites by Diggs, all located in roughly the same area. After discussing the options, it was decided that we'd do the wreck of the 'Noman Court', just off the bay facing RAF Valley.

I max'd out at the sand at 7.1 metres, so it wasn't so much a dive as a 50 safety-stop! But nonetheless enjoyable for that. And so, with Digg's advice that "there's still brass on it..." ringing in out ears, we hit the sand bottom and took a bead on to the wreck. One word: EVOCATIVE.

We approached the wreck and she loomed out of the furtherst point of out vision as the penetrating sunlight sreamed through her upright strutts; her ribs, beams and strutts, all still perfectly parallel and proud. She was as big as the 'Cutty Sark' in her day and there was ample for any 1st-timers on her to enjoy.

The viz on the dive was quite happily 15 metres, with a slight surge, which had the illusory effect of making you wonder whether the wreck was moving in the surge or whether it was just the accompanying mass of sealife growing on her moving from side to side.

Swims-though, over-hanging sections, brass bolts and piping (some obviously showing attempts by previous divers to relieve her of her former make-up), masses of big Cod and Ling, Ballan Wrasse, Great Piperfish, Conger Eels and velvet swimming crabs and, to mine and Tanx's amazement, a Spider Crab the size of a household coffee-table just as we had come through another swim through and were making our ascent. Once again, Tanx had gone on a photo expedition and varily filled his boots.

So, two dives of 50 mins a piece and I came out with about 100 bar left. I think all three of us agreed that Anglesey has some very nice, easy and interesting diving to had. We'd had two belters and eagerly awaited the next day's offerings.

But 1st, what to do that evening?? We'd agreed to hook-up with Geoff Oldfield and the Merseyside SAC troop at 'Bog Bay', but before that I had the next days's RV points to arrange and agree with both divers and skippers and we decided to regroup with other members of the day's diving (and Hobby and Fran turned up) and have a couple of sherberts in the T-Bay Hotel before setting off.

Finally I got hold of Dave and Karen J and they explained that there were at Bog Bay (eating an boozing as planned) with Daz and the Bristol Massif, Chris & Liz, Jules and Lesley, Fiona, Kirky et al AND that they had been entertained by a pod of dolphins in the bay for the best part of two hours! Bugger!

So, we all jumped in various cars and headed down to the Bay. Sure enough, the dolphins had done a runner and we missed them. We did, though, manage to hook-up with the Geoff and his mob and chilled and chewed the fat for about an hour and half or so before making our way back to respective pits. A damned good night had by all. And when Merseyside SAC do a party, they don't skimp! Full BBQ, gazebo, music, impromptu campfires, drinks tent - the full Bhoona! Well in SAC and look forward to seeing you guys again soon for a wet and a 'wet'.  

The group who'd been on the hard-boat had tales of a damned good day out also. They managed to wrecks of the 'Mona' and the 'SS Dakota' (the latter of which Terry 'Anglesey Diver' and the Skipper, Elfyn, 'Yellow Buttie Box', off these boards, own outright with full salvage rights). Jules & Lesley were being put through their Nitrox tickets to boot, so well in girls!

So the next day came and Daz took the Massif off to their next choice of Bay (you really are spoilt for choice for shore diving in Anglesey in BIG way!); Kev W took his team off the RIB, and we (along with Hobby) made our way up to Amlwch for a day on the hard-boat.

Again, on the 45 minute trip to the 1st dive (a wreck, can't remember the name of it, unimportant......as Tanx, Hobby and I completely missed it!) the banter was fierce. We also became better acquainted with some of the newer members of YD - Jules and Lesley, two more lovely girls you couldn't wish to meet. Up for the crack and held their own like troopers.

So, kitted up and ready to drop in, Hobby did a 'Commercial Diver Special' entry - more of a Fosby Flop making sure his head and mask were covered! Course Tanx-a-Deux, not wanting to be out shone, asks the Skipper: "Can I go in like that an'all??" Elfyn, tactful as ever and with a huge grin, said you can go in any way you want as long as you all get off my bloody boat!

So in we went: Hobby, Tanx and myself - straight down the shot in to 'mixed viz' and went with the current. Alas, this was completely the wrong way - we lost Hobby straight away (no biggie, as his Comm Diving days were largely spent on his jack at some god-forbidden depth), so Tanx and I gambolled around, torches on going with the very changeable current - it could make its mind up and did know whether it was New York or New Year! A pleasant enough diversion anyway. Tanx bagged off at dive's end and we faced a mutha of a surface swim away from shore back to the boat. Heighp-ho.

Back on thye boat the banter reached new levels as Elfyn made damed sure that the news was out (and the piss varily ripped from us) that we three (and two guest divers - two very good lads from Sheffield who will hopefully join us again on a dive) had completely missed the wreck and THE GIRLS had spent most of their dive on it!  

And so with Hobby chatting to the Skipper about salvage diving (a mutual passion), me trying to find Tanx's volume controls and the rest of the boat's compliment engaged in badinage, we made steam for the wreck of the SS Dakota.

This wreck being buoyed, there was little chance that even we three would miss it! Again we went over the side and dropped down the shot and, at about 17/18 metres we landed about amidships on top of one of the holds. This was quickly confirmed when we saw tools of the salvage trade in situ and rady for the lads next work out.

The wreck, the those who've not done it, is a mass of pottery, porcelain, glass brandy bottles, spices, pigment paints, and a raft of big lobbies and crabs. The Conger Eel that Hobby showed me wasn't too shabby - its head was the the size of a man's with a huge grin!

Any way we poked and picked and generally had a whale of a time traversing the length of the wreck looking for goodies - I can't say whether we got anything or not..... Loads to see and get in amongst. One for a return trip, me thinks!

Thence the return trip to the harbour at Amlwch - which the Dakota lies just outside. We all carried our kit up the harbour-wall and went to get out cars. Chatting as we all de-kitted, we all reviewed the last two dives of the day and all agreed that we'd all had a top day out and looked forward to the next one - big time. We've already booked Elfyn's boat for the same Neap Tide next year - HAPPY DAYS!

On a personal note, thanks for all the well wishers and thanks I've had from everyone who attended; to those who couldn't, you were missed and we'll see ya next time!

All I can say is that you are very each bunch for which to organise a dive weekend! Everyone got in amongst it in the evenings (sorry to Geoff Oldfield for some of our group being a tad late for the BBQ on the beach) for a sherry or five, the crack and banter were fierce and very good natured and we had no demanding prima-donnas and a good deal of flexibility in the group - all-in-all the correct make-up for making the organisation and actual delivery of a gig like this simple and highly enjoyable. I've no worries in organising another one for the troop.

Chin-chin chaps, a good time had by all!   

And lo, we are YD - in a large type diving styleeee !

·
3,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Imported post

<font color='#736AFF'>Bren
That just about sums it up!
The post diving grin on this lass  is still present and we are indeed YD in a rubberdub- grinning broadly and making new buddies- stylee .

One thing Bren was being modest about was his amazing ability to russle up two single men out of nowhere overnight! Are there no lengths to which this man will not go to ensure that us YD-er s have everything we need?

Oh and did I say that the girls found the wreck...? We were actually wondering why the viz on it was so good and not all kicked up?
<cheeky grin>
Jules

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Just to add my thanks to Bren for organising and everyone else who made the weekend what it was.

The shore diving really was superb and Raven's Point out front of the dive shop was my favourite dive of the weekend, a few swim throughs and lobbies a plenty not to mention me and Jase discovering a new game to play - "CRAB WARS" - Basically, find the biggest spider crab you can and scare the crap out of your buddy (so me and Jase spending most of the dive ambushing each other with spider crabs)
  The rest of the crew just looked on and made some interesting hand gestures.

The Bristol mob all had a great time and it was good to meet so many of you,   boat diving next time for a change I think.

Daz,

BTW:- Who turned Andy's volume control up full and then snapped the bugger off  

·
Registered
13,519 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Julia C @ July 09 2003,20:44)]One thing Bren was being modest about was his amazing ability to russle up two single men out of nowhere overnight! Are there no lengths to which this man will not go to ensure that us YD-er s have everything we need?
<font color='#0000FF'>Sorry did I miss out on something!!  

Where were the single men then ?

Oh, um, such is life, nice to meet everyone anyway.  When is the next one going to be.  

Fiona

PS I was going to add some of those additional emoticons from the list but must be a bit slow on the uptake, don't I just have to copy and paste, it will let me copy but no paste option.  Help required in all departments  

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Just type the code for the emoticon in your message Fiona.

So  to get
type :- colon devil colon

= colon D

etc..

Cheers,
Daz

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Imported post

Go on the girls!!!

So in the Wars of Anglesey, that's girls 2, guys 0.

Just the way we like....

·
Registered
13,519 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Cheers Daz,

Everyone else seem to understand the instructions don't know what was wrong with me

Fiona

·
3,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (FionaB @ July 10 2003,09:09)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Julia C @ July 09 2003,20:44)]One thing Bren was being modest about was his amazing ability to russle up two single men out of nowhere overnight! Are there no lengths to which this man will not go to ensure that us YD-er s have everything we need?
Sorry did I miss out on something!!  

Where were the single men then ?
<font color='#736AFF'>Bren russled them up for us on sunday morning, only 12 hours after we demanded a supply be laid on... I think your delivery must have missed the RIB!

Next time we will let you have first choice of any single men that Bren has available.
LOL
Jules

·
Registered
377 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#FF00FF'>Ho Hum! To be single & desperate.  

To put the record in a line that does not bend, as they say!

On the 1st wreck on sunday, SS Abbotsford, Liz & Chris found the wreck and had an enjoyable dive.

It was Liz and not Lesley that did the TDI Nitrox, and we had a really good w/end diving, BBQ, diving and meeting more of the YD crew.

Big Up to Bren.

·
3,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Chris Hall @ July 10 2003,20:25)]Ho Hum! To be single & desperate.  
<font color='#736AFF'>You misconstrued us! we were merely window shopping...

Still good to know the name of the wreck for the old log book.

jules

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Confession time!

It was indeed the industry and good offices of the Lesser-spotted Andy-Tanx-a-Deux who snagged the aforementioned chaps! He was getting his fills at Mike's (Ravenspoint Road) and these two lads (also getting fills) were looking for a dive off a hard-boat. So, to save me taking an even bigger bath than I did do for paying for unfilled places, Tanx offered them two of our spare places on the Sunday hard-boat. They hooked-up with us and, speaking to them later, had a very enjoyable day out with us. They were goods lads and are welcome to dive again with us any time - I think one of them is already a member of YD.

So, all praise must go to Tanx for his quick wittedness and thinking on his feet.

·
3,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Imported post

Bren
Whilst all that may be true I did prefer the previous explanation that YD can supply all your diving needs! All you need to do is ask Bren!

Yes they were nice lads and one of them (the blond one whose name I cant remember) was very comlimentary about what a friendly and helpful gang us YD lot are.
jules

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

This report moved to the 'Information' section under 'Anglesey - Skipper Warning'.

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

Bren,

I trust you will be posting fair warning of this characters 'customer friendly' attitude and business practice as fair warning on other forums such as handbagnet.

Daz

1 - 20 of 20 Posts