YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

Hi Team,
I have seen some notes about diving North Wales/ Anglesey.
I will be doing a shore dive trip this Sunday.  Depending on conditions, it will probly be from Port Daffarch (?) - which is about three miles past Treadour Bay,I would be honoured if anyone wanted to go as well.  I plan to get there about 11.00am.
Basically it's a very sheltered cove - its no deeper than 6 meters and normally oood for a first sea dive.
There is a nice sandy beach, toilets, burger van, so ideal if you want to take non-diving family/ kids ( especially if weather is good ).
I will be taking my little buddy who hasnt dived for a while and this is a good place to refresh.
If any one is interested or needs more information, then please ask.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Imported post

For anyone interested, I will be setting off from Wigan area around 9.00am.  If you wish to meet or travel in convoy, I can be contacted on mobile 07721 889665.

Basically directions are simple. Find  and follow M56 directions to North Wales then Bangor then Hollyhead.  You will drive along the North Wales coast, then through a series of tunnels to drive opposite Angelesey ( I have contact details for a hard boat out of Meniai which can get to wrecks and dive with the seals off Puffin Island which is the little island you see just to the right of Anglesey - perhaps another trip? )
Go accross the bridge to Anglesey still following Hollyhead.  A few miles before Hollyhead - around "Valley" you should see signs to Treadour Bay, so come off the dual cariageway, cross over it and turn left at the island so you are basically still travelling in same direction.
At first traffic lights turn left toward T Bay and keep on that road for about 5 mins.
Immediately as you enter T Bay itself, you will see a sign to Ravenhead Point ( which is where the dive shop/ fill station is ) ignore this and carry on.  
T Bay, a few yards past this, has a big car park with toilets etc, ignore these and a short distance afterwards, you will see a car/ boat garage to the right, turn LEFT here ( so you will follow the coast round the bay, you will pass the lifeboat station ( where we catch rib trips ) and if you keep on this coast road for a three miles or so, you will come to Daffach.
You should see a slope on the LHS leading down to the beach - with a toilet block and burger/ ice cream van.  
If you are lucky, park on one side of the slope and look for a green Toyota Camry.  I expect to be there at 11.00 unless traffic is horrible - but it''s mainly dual cariageway and good except around Queensferry.
If you let me know if you are coming, we can watch for you.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Imported post

dived there a couple of weeks ago - and not much to sea (forgive the pun)  - we tried to get out to the wreck of the Missouri (as did several others) but were beaten by the strenght of the tides.  Saw quite a few sea bass and loads of hermit crabs.  Depending on the tide times there is a great shore dive on the other side of the bay.  It may be worth talking to the guys at Diving services (01407 860318) about tides times - if enough people are going we could hire a RIB to go to the Missouri??

Andy

·
Registered
31 Posts
Imported post

Also if there are a few people going over should we try and arrange a meeting point and share petrol?? eg Hartshead Moor Services?? or somewhere just off the M62

·
The Artist formerly known as 'Kirky'
2,228 Posts
Imported post

Hi Billy - have you any takers - I might join you if thats ok - will phone to confirm. Weather looks a bit dodgy at the moment though

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Imported post

Hi,
It seems like there could be three of you, plus two of me tomorrow - fingers crossed for weather.
I will be setting off down M6 to M56, if anyone wants to meet up and travel in convoy or share transport pls call - 07721 889665
I intended to do our first dive in Daffarch - because it should be easy for my buddy to refresh.  
Another, second dive - open to suggestions.  
I look forward to seeing you.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Imported post

Hope you have a good one lads (lasses?) let me know how it went and we'll see about arranging a weekend there for a YD gettogether/p*ssup/dive session.

Keep yer fingers crossed for me too as I'm supposed to be doing the Farnes tomorrow.. :winky:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Imported post

nightmare of nightmares, my twin set which they promised would be fixed by yesterday is now not going to be ready until Tuesday as they are waiting for a part to arrive so I am going to have to cry off - but I will be OK for next Sat / Sunday if that is any good - I am also trying to get a dive at Stoney on Wednesday and something on Friday next week

If interested give me a call on my mobile 07860 289 319 or home 01484 648 017

·
Registered
60 Posts
Imported post

Hi all

hope you enjoyed the weekend. Now what are we going to do in the bankholiday weekend. are we still going to St. Abbs or there is other suggestion. Please let me know so I can sort few things.

NB, Dave, Hope Brad is better now.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Imported post

Hi Marco

Thanks for asking, yes Brad is on the mend but slowly as you can imagine, its only 1 week today since he broke his collar bone and even though he's not in as much pain the poor kid is very depressed because he can't use his bike or skateboard or wrestle with the other kids etc...

Bank holiday weekend....I think you can assume that Abbs will be the place, at least thats where I'll be heading anyway.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Imported post

Hello all,
Yesterday turned out better than we deserve. It ended up just DC ( Dive Chick ) my little buddy and myself.
We didnt ring Anglesey to check conditions before we set off - as advised- and when we got there the seas at Port Daffarch were unthinkable - there were body boarders having great fun in the huge waves - so I bottled out.
As DC had spent over 3 hours getting there, she seemed a tad disappointed - so we decided to try to find elsewhere.  Anglesey Dive College was closed ( heaven knows why on Sundays in peak season )so we went exploring across the otherside of the island.
The very first place we tried was Cemaes which, on the suggstion of the beach warden, was super.  It was just like being on holiday - we parked against the sea-wall kitted up and walked 10 yards into a gently sloping dead-calm clear sea.

I know you rufty-tufty deep divers may not understand this, but that's exactly what I wanted - my little buddy hasn't dived for a while, and we did have the odd kit problem which caused no hassle whatsoever.
We swam aroiund the bay for a good while - just blowing bubbles, playing and looking - it's perfect for practice/ navigation - and because we never went more than 7 meters deep, required good bouyancy control. On the one tank, we were underwater for over a hour ( could have done even more ) and saw loads of crabs, small fish  - I missed lobster and plaice apparantly.
We have a couple of suggestions for other sites now and am keen to go exploring again - this weekend if anyone is interested - the objective, find more easy shore dives.

If you may be interested, please reply on this link or start a new one as you see fit.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts