YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
The Artist formerly known as 'Kirky'
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Yesterday at Treardurr - me and Dave J made the trek - good weather all week and both gaggin for seawater. Our choice was Porth Diana opposite the dive shop - high tide at midday, sun shining, no traffic and made Anglesey in record time.

First priority is the bacon & egg barm - well, we`d been up since 6am so starvin to say the least - thank god for the Sea Shanty cafe.

OK, first dive is planned - through the gully, round the headland and nicely back to the beach. Not yet slack but off we go.

Off we go thru the gully to max depth 6m, we get buffetted a bit but its OK. Vis is about 1m - disappointing. We follow the wall round to the right and the walls start closing in so up we go to swim over the obstruction. Err..... the obstruction is a 6m long shallow leading to the main drag. Depth here is in  inches so we clambour over the rocks (me with twinset & camera) and take a right old battering. What we had not checked was that the headland was round - as it happened this was another gully. Having earned our PADI rock climbing in full gear badges we descended the other side to 6m and mooched around the kelp etc. Not much life at all and no hope of seeing anything much in that vis. Time for a cuppa

Second dive we decide to go straight out then straight back - no chance of getting lost !!!. Out we go again. After about 10 mins the vis drops to zero where the lagoon hits the main run - shit !!. We turn left and head for the rocks and spend the rest of the dive mooching in the kelp beds/rocks - saw a few large fish, Dave saw a couple of big crabs but apart from that bugger all else.

Overall the vis was disappointing, water temps 10-12 degs and the place was crawling with divers - ribs stacked up all over the place.

Perhaps it will be better later in the year for sea life and perhaps better to shore dive off a neap tide (yesterday was a spring tide - just off a full moon)

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Imported post

I was there with my lad on Friday.  There were a fair few divers there, but not as busy as it sounds on Saturday.  Conditions were very similar though, couple of metres viz, and quite a strong current too, especially as you got out of the shelter of the bay.  Max depth of 5.7 m, saw a solitary wrasse and one decent sized crab

Oh well, it was an improvement over Dosthill the week before.

·
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Imported post

This will give you an ides of the vis..............

·
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Imported post

Although this guy was open for business....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts