• Other (please specify)

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Lucky Man
2,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

From the "ankle weights - a good/bad thing?!" thread, it occurred to me that maybe drysuit type plays a big part in whether people like to wear them or not.

There's more room in lower legs for air to migrate in membranes, and I personally found I no longer wanted to wear them after switching to a neoprene suit. I could be talking through my hood of course  

So who wears what?

(and I'm not trying to say one type of suit is better, before anyone get's the hump  
, dive however you like to I reckon!)

Dave.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Imported post

I got a Neoprene O'Three and use them just habbit I guess.  I'm going to try without them again on  Sunday, Ive just got some Scubapro Jet fins so they should off set the need for them.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>I used to use them when I first started using Drybags (from my OW qualifying dives onwards...)
Then one day, I forgot them, and didn't have any problems, so I now don't use them.
I have only every dived a membrane drybag...
(the boots on my drybag are a bit big... and if I forget an extra pair of socks, I do notice my feet are a bit more "floaty"
)

abucks

·
"hardly ever here"
799 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (dave archer @ Dec. 09 2003,14:05)]There's more room in lower legs for air to migrate in membranes, and I personally found I no longer wanted to wear them after switching to a neoprene suit. I could be talking through my hood of course  
i've only ever dived with a (very tight) neoprene drysuit, and never needed ankle weights, even with floaty plasticky fins. possibly support for your theory?

on the other hand, i don't think many (if any?!) people in my club use them - maybe it was just never an option.....

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

I started with an 8mm uncopressed neoprene suit, never ever felt the need for manacles. moved onto a membrane suit and  used ankle weight for about the first 6 months then binned them when I moved onto doing horizontal stops. so yes, I found there was connection but I don't believe you'll get much consensus on this issue, it's all down to personal choice and opinions like most diving related issues
Stevil

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#FF0000'>Some times I need them some times not. but the floaty feet syndrome is going to go on for a while.

·
"Three sheds"
12,688 Posts
Imported post

I dive an Otter (membrane) suit, without ankle weights, but t'missus, with exactly the same suit does need them. But sadly I couldn't vote twice.

I reckon it's more to so with body shape then suit type (although the latter does have an affect).

Laters,
  Janos

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Women tend to float upside-down. Possibly something to do with the fat around their hips and ass. Men tend not to have fat around their legs, so won't float as much in these areas.

I have used a very baggy compresssed neorene, a membrane and a thick 7mm neoprene and didn't need ankle weights with any of them. That said, I've got my tanks lower with the neoprene, as they were right up by my head before, and they're in a better position now, and I can still reach the valves.

I think this has much more to do with body types than type of suit, but then I see a lot more people with membrane suits and ankle weights. Personally, I found my legs were much more floaty in a neoprene suit.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>My previous suits have been membrane and the ankle weights we're nescessary, however I bought a crushed neoprene 6 mths ago which has velco around the ankle to prevent migration to feet. I have continued to use them, I guess in part due to habit. In my defence I do have very light force fins. Maybe I'll try without them sometime soon.

gareth

·
Registered
115 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#FF0000'>i have ditched the ankle weights after this weekend, i got fed up of trying to get them tight and tucked under my velcro flaps, so i have just voted for membrane, no ankle weights. Also, the comment about 'stabilisers on kids bikes' kinda made me try without the lead

chris

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Digger @ Dec. 09 2003,18:41)]Women tend to float upside-down. Possibly something to do with the fat around their hips and ass.
Brave words Digger! Been nice talking to you, any particular type of wreath you'd prefer ...

·
Registered
283 Posts
Imported post

O'Three noeprene with weights.  
Have used them since I got the suit, but having read some of the posts I have vowed to give it a try without this weekend.  If anyone happens to be at Dosthill and notices a pair of green avanti's bobbing past, that'll be me  

John

·
"hardly ever here"
799 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Steve W @ Dec. 10 2003,11:34)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Digger @ Dec. 09 2003,18:41)]Women tend to float upside-down. Possibly something to do with the fat around their hips and ass.
Brave words Digger! Been nice talking to you, any particular type of wreath you'd prefer ...
better buy one soon before mary gets to him

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Kate R @ Dec. 11 2003,13:18)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Steve W @ Dec. 10 2003,11:34)]
[b said:
better buy one soon before mary gets to him
<font color='#000F22'>eh! I'll have you know the fat around my hips and arse has decreased recently, can you say the same for your beer gut  

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Whose beer gut? I was impartial and didn't mention any names, I blame Steve. As it happens, I'll have the pink rose wreath please, matches my pants. Or maybe we should have brown...

·
Registered
9,720 Posts
Imported post

i once tried wearing ankle weights with my dry suit but couldnt get on with them.i was coming out of the water as if i had run the london marathon calves were acheing stiff legs and ive never used them since .now regarding the drysuit i love my membrane with my 100 gram thinsulate anything bigger i tend to sweat a lot ive tried a few compressed neoprene suits on but didnt like the feel ,i will stick with my roho commercial thanx very much !!!!!!!

·
Registered
413 Posts
Imported post

Never had floaty ankle probs..

I dive with a 2.5mm high pressed neo dry..it's got some scope for air shift but never had any major probs...but then I've only just got it...

If I do have any probs and ever need to have ankle weights you'll be the last to know.

Regards.

Graham

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Imported post

My first drysuit was a membrane and I couldn't dive without ankle weights - as soon as I got horizontal, my feet started to pull me towards inversion, so ankle weights seemed the only option.  They are a pain to wear, although have just changed drysuit to an Aerdura with integrated ankle weights, but want to try without them first (it may have just been the suit) but if I end up needing them, am hoping that having them intregrated will make them so much more comfortable.
Regards, and dive safe
Martin

1 - 20 of 26 Posts