YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I seem to have done something 'technical' the last time I tried to post this so here we go again. The sea at Teignmouth (South Devon) was much more green and snotty today that it was yesterday. The plankton bloom it seems is early this year. If you're planning to dive round 'ere in the next 10 days or so I'd either think again or choose a wreck that feels nice.:frown:

·
hmmm.. open circuit revisited...
760 Posts
Yeah. Vis of Exmouth last saturday was also pants.
Lights out at 9m on the Bretagne and very poor on the reef further inland too...

Don't you just love drift dives in the dark.. and then some idiots from another boat who I shall not name as I promissed out skipper, dropped right on my head eventhough we had a dSMB up.:frown:

·
YDs Most Southerly Monkey
6,434 Posts
Yeah. Vis of Exmouth last saturday was also pants.
Lights out at 9m on the Bretagne and very poor on the reef further inland too...

Don't you just love drift dives in the dark.. and then some idiots from another boat who I shall not name as I promissed out skipper, dropped right on my head eventhough we had a dSMB up.:frown:
Just goes to show the difference in biological productivity of seas in different parts of the world and gives an idea of how much fish life would have been around before factory fishing started, particularly in Northern European waters.

We get plankton blooms here in Spring, but at worst, the vis drops to maybe 7-10M and then only in the top 10-15m or so and it's still pretty bright at 30M. Thing is, by comparison, there aint huge numbers of fish in the sea here either. We see plenty but that's probably a result of the better vis rather than greater numbers.

Our waters are very low in nutrients, mainly because we don't have big rivers running in, the biggest is the Murray, maybe 1500kms away and by European standards, it's pretty small volume wise.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
It was stunning on the Kyarra this afternoon.

Vis was around 20!!!!! Ferkin centimetres. It was so bad that I am sitting at my computer tonight rather than doing a club dive on the Carantan that I have already paid for!!!!

·
The worlds slowest sailor.
2,970 Posts
don't know what the viz woz on the thistlegorm last week.
could hardly see it untill i left the sundeck and peered over the side.

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
Plankton snot forming in West Wales. Reduced vis and fairly dark. Should be nice and crap for the next few weeks. Small strings of it currently but very sunny so bound to get worse before better. 2m or so on the usual sites due to it.

Oh and i lost my 3 finger mitts out of my shitty god-awful ND drysuit pocket so cost me £30. So far that suit pocket has lost 2 DSMBs, 1 mask and pair of mitts.

·
Registered
24,810 Posts
It was stunning on the Kyarra this afternoon.

Vis was around 20!!!!! Ferkin centimetres. It was so bad that I am sitting at my computer tonight rather than doing a club dive on the Carantan that I have already paid for!!!!
It wasn't any better on Saturday.

I went under the pier on sat PM, and the viz was less than half the distance between the posts.

Nice to meet you BTW :)

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
It wasn't any better on Saturday.

I went under the pier on sat PM, and the viz was less than half the distance between the posts.

Nice to meet you BTW :)
Great to meet you too.

Maybe next time we can get a dive to add to the all round nice day :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts