YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Hi all - well, after trawling the web for a decent divers' forum, I have finally found what I was looking for!  A board which actually has members is always a good start so i hope to be chatting to you more pretty soon.

xxx

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Welcome to what is "probably" the best diving board in the world  

So tell us a bit about yourself...  and don't be afraid to start posting questions or getting in amongst the forums.

Daz

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Imported post

Well, I live in London so the diving's not great (!) but I do try to get to Stoney Cove or anywhere overseas as often as possible!  Am currently counting the days until my next dive - I'm going to North Cyprus at the end of the month and I am too excited!!

·
Lucky Man
2,163 Posts
Imported post

Hi Lesley, abucks is right, us Southern YDers are a rapidly growing faction, much to the chargrin of the old flat cap and wippet brigade Oop Norf  
 (just kidding guys and gals!)

Whaddaya mean the divings no good in London?? Have you never sampled the silty delights of Wraysbury on a chilly winter morn?!  

Northern Cyprus - have heard very good things - not jealous as hell at all! Have a good one,
Dave.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Whaddaya mean the divings no good in London?? Have you never sampled the silty delights of Wraysbury on a chilly winter morn?!  
Have you not experienced the silty delights of Wraysbury, full stop! (Actually, I quite like the place... service is "interesting", viz is often appalling, but then you find something that makes it all worth while, like coming eyeball-to-eyeball with one of the 3ft resident pike in one of the boats on your last dive of the weekend!

abucksdiver

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Imported post

Actually, I've only dived at Stoney Cove in the UK - I think I'm more of a fairweather fiend!  

So where is Wraysbury  (how rubbish am I?!) and what are the water temps in the UK like at the moment?  I haven't done my drysuit course yet so I have to go semi dry at relatively warm(er) times of the year....  

·
Lucky Man
2,163 Posts
Imported post

Wraysbury, aka 2that muddy puddle" to some, is an inland lake directly under the Heathrow flightpath .Water temp was 11C when I was there a month ago. Vis can be anything from 0.5m  to 10m, definately the former if you kick the bottom at all! :)

I quite like the place too to be honest abucks, the bacon sarnies are cracking post dive, and there are some odd things to see down there - I like the bus and saw the new boat "wreck" last time too. But did you see the photo in diver this month? Some blooming great statue of a bear in a cap down there! I kid you not! That's my goal next time....!

Lesley, I was a fair weather diver too, but give the UK a few goes and you'll soon be hooked just like the blue water stuff  

As for semi-drys, yes you can do W. in one this time of year, but in general - pah! Others will disagree but I've watched enough people shivering in the boat between dives (no matter how "warm" in the water) to know that dry suit is the only way. They get less bloody awkward the more you use them  

Dave.

·
Snap Happy
2,802 Posts
Imported post

Hi Lesley,

glad you made it over.

You can see that there is a lot of shandy stuff going on here.  If you really want to try the real stuff then come oop North.

If you can make it, there is a large, nah HUGE, YD trip to Anglesey in July with divers of all levels coming along.  Come along and see join us and hopefully we wont scare you off.

You can try some real beer unsullied by the addition of lemonade.

Tim

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Imported post

Hi Tim - thanks for the tip, this forum is a lot busier than the other one, 'tho I will be keeping both in check!

I will certainly be coming oop North at some point (when weather picks up a bit!) so you will have to give me lots of advice on where to try.  So far, as you can see, I've only done Stoney Cove which I personally don't think is THAT bad  
!!

Anyway, thanks again and will no doubt be chatting to you again soon!

Lesley

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
Imported post

Hi Lesley

There are loads of Diving opertunities down this end of the country. We are a club based in Canterbury and Herne Bay and wreck dive out of Dover. We regularly take out guest divers and a lot of our members dive in semi-dry suits, i did myself for 7-8 years.

Get in touch if you fancy a trip out, if you have a look at our web site you will find some dive reports giving a taste of what we have available.

This weekend i will be concentrating on the Strathclyde as i want a full tea set out of her.

Strathclyde

Oh and welcome to the boards, enjoy.

Paul

·
iGeek therefore iTrek
3,253 Posts
Imported post

Hi Lesley,

Good to meet you. I know a few divers in London village so you're not alone down there by any stretch.

Hope to see you in the forums soon,

Noel

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Paul Oliver @ June 17 2003,21:06)]Hi Lesley

There are loads of Diving opertunities down this end of the country. We are a club based in Canterbury and Herne Bay and wreck dive out of Dover. We regularly take out guest divers and a lot of our members dive in semi-dry suits, i did myself for 7-8 years.

Get in touch if you fancy a trip out, if you have a look at our web site you will find some dive reports giving a taste of what we have available.

This weekend i will be concentrating on the Strathclyde as i want a full tea set out of her.

Strathclyde

Oh and welcome to the boards, enjoy.

Paul
Hi there,

Thanks for the advice, great to make contact with people who organise trips in this neck of the woods.  I'll have a look at the site and give you a shout when I'd like to join one of your trips!

Lesley

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Noel Johnson @ June 17 2003,22:29)]I know a few divers in London village so you're not alone down there by any stretch.

London Village?!  I've never heard it called that before but at least it makes it sound nice and quaint!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Imported post

I live in the USA in the state of Missouri which is in the central part of the country.  I dive in fresh water lakes and quarries.

I am interested in wreck diving and am progressing along a training path to attain that goal.

I am a mechanic/welder/machinist by trade.  I also am an avid snooker fan.  It would be great to come to UK to dive wrecks and play snooker.  I'm sure I could learn a lot from you fellows on both of these subjects.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Blimey, that's way way too far from the sea for my liking  

Anyhoo welcome to the boards, hope you don't mind the fact that Brits sometimes refer to you guys as "Septics" ie Septic tank = Yank in rhyming slang

As you're from Mo., perhaps you can answer a state-related question which puzzles me everytime it's on TV: what's the deal with Grandpa Simpson when he has a 49 star flag because he refuses to recognise the state of "Missoura" ? You guys not very popular or something

Chee-az
Steve

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

My girlfriend lives just up the road from Wraysbury, but she's moving now, so sadly her housemate won't be able to keep dragging me there to help her work out how to use a wing.

It's an ill wind...

The BEST thing about Wraysbury, tho, is that it has several Thorpe Park Ranger figures, made of hollow fibreglass, dotted all around, which do an AMAZING Polaris impression if you purge your reg under them for a few seconds

·
Registered
599 Posts
Imported post

Lesley hows gerry nice to find you on the YD site It just shows you cant go any where.We just need to get sea grass steve on.If gerry joins the board his name will have to be plastic padi.suzanne says hi

1 - 20 of 48 Posts