YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
No longer a Scapa Virgin
2,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As today appears to be the day when IT experts are on line i'll stick my problem up for help as well.

Whenever I try to copy/move photo's or music from computer to disk the computer tells me the disk inserted isn't formatted (several different batches tried all same result) It then offers to format disk.

When I transfer the data to the newly (sp?) formatted disk it can only be read by this computer. I've tried MP3 and Photos several times without success but I did send some video to a guy who tells me they did work but I can't confirm this!

This is only a fairly recent problem and as far as i'm aware I haven't changed anything. I did try working through the DELL help site but without any success!

Any thoughts please, but please keep it simple as i'm a technophobe/ dinosaur!

·
246 Posts
Im not saying this will work, but it has cured many a problem with my DVD/CD writers.
You may wish to uninstall the device and then auto detect to reinstall the drivers. This has helped me.
To do this go to my computer, click view system information, click the hardware tab, than device manager. Select the CD/DVD drive, right click and uninstall. At top of tab is an icon to auto detect new devices, click this and it should reload all of the drivers.
By clicking on the drive it will also bring up the make and model. Look on the manufacturers web site, and download any updates. Just did a firmware update on my drive and it seems to work better.
Anyway hope this helps.
Roger

·
Registered
597 Posts
I take it you are using rewrite discs (Never really like these not reliable enough)
There are two ways to use a rewrittable:
1. format it this way you can copy files to it delete files from it just like you can to a USB stick or old floppy discs. How ever all computers need a certain bit of software to be able to read the disc in this state!! chnces are if the computer you are putting it in doesn't have a writer or writer software it will not read the disc (Actually i'm not 100% about this these days i think XP might have the software not sure !?!?!?)
2. Use the disc like a write once use nero or what ever software you use and write the whole disc at once, but to resue this disc you have to do a erase (Sometimes called a format but not the same as the format in step 1!)

I always use right once discs now as they are so cheap when i need to redo one just chuck the old.

Ian

·
His Holeyness
2,198 Posts
When I transfer the data to the newly (sp?) formatted disk it can only be read by this computer. I've tried MP3 and Photos several times without success but I did send some video to a guy who tells me they did work but I can't confirm this!
Sounds like you probably need to 'close the session'.

I get the same problem with my DVD recorder with DVD-RWs, but not with DVD+RWs ( . . . or is it the other way round :rolleyes: )

Colin

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
I take it you are using rewrite discs (Never really like these not reliable enough)
1. format it this way you can copy files to it delete files from it just like you can to a USB stick or old floppy discs. How ever all computers need a certain bit of software to be able to read the disc in this state!! chnces are if the computer you are putting it in doesn't have a writer or writer software it will not read the disc (Actually i'm not 100% about this these days i think XP might have the software not sure !?!?!?)
2. Use the disc like a write once use nero or what ever software you use and write the whole disc at once, but to resue this disc you have to do a erase (Sometimes called a format but not the same as the format in step 1!)

I always use right once discs now as they are so cheap when i need to redo one just chuck the old.

Ian
I agree with all of that

·
No longer a Scapa Virgin
2,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What software are you using to burn your CDs/DVD's?

Cheers!

Dave
:)
Arial CD Ripper

Im not saying this will work, but it has cured many a problem with my DVD/CD writers.
You may wish to uninstall the device and then auto detect to reinstall the drivers. This has helped me.
To do this go to my computer, click view system information, click the hardware tab, than device manager. Select the CD/DVD drive, right click and uninstall. At top of tab is an icon to auto detect new devices, click this and it should reload all of the drivers.
By clicking on the drive it will also bring up the make and model. Look on the manufacturers web site, and download any updates. Just did a firmware update on my drive and it seems to work better.
Anyway hope this helps.
Roger
Just tried this (with clenched butt cheeks) but no joy computer is still saying disc not formatted!

Ian
I only use write once discs and the software is XP. This is a new problem, i'm still using the same discs as before and i could always just give them to mates who could view / play straight out of envelope!

Sounds like you probably need to 'close the session'.

I get the same problem with my DVD recorder with DVD-RWs, but not with DVD+RWs ( . . . or is it the other way round :rolleyes: )

Colin
Sorry mate not quite sure what you mean by this :embarassed:

I'm still stuck guys!

·
Registered
597 Posts
Not used your softwar before so can't point you to the settings, but it now sounds more like what Colin said the session has not been closed and the disc finalized.
After burning your disc and before taking it out look for an option close session or finalized disc or make compatible.
OR
Better option i know you can set this in nero use the option "Disc at once" this is a none stop process disc is lead in written indexed and finalized all in one step with out the laser being turned off.
Should do the trick.
Ian

·
No longer a Scapa Virgin
2,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys

I think i've sorted the problem (kind of anyway:embarassed: )

A mate who has the same computer as mine informed me I have "Sonic" loaded as standard. I've tried an MP3 and it worked on my stereo system:teeth: It did seem incredibly slow but at least it worked. I'll try some photo's tomorrow!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts