4,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/3214211.stm

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]
Diver dies despite rescue attempt

A lifeboat was launched to find the missing diver
A diver has died after getting into difficulties of the north Wales coast.

The man, who has not been named, was diving in Trearddur Bay, Anglesey, when he became separated from two other divers.

He was part of a group of three divers from West Yorkshire.

Holyhead coastguards launched a lifeboat and rescue helicopter were after being called at 1300 BST on Saturday.

The missing diver was found and was taken to Ysbyty Gwynedd, Bangor, but he died 40 minutes after being admitted.

The two other divers were treated for shock.

As well as being another diving related death (not a good month) the west yorkshire link made me think it was appropriate here.

Again, condolances to all involved.

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

It's always a sad day when this happens

Let's hope it was no-one from YD.

Peter

·
Street Cleansing Operative
4,427 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>When I first saw this thread I thought it was going to be more on the death at Scapa; very sad to find it otherwise.

Sincere sympathy to all concerned and (though it feels somewhat selfish to consider it) let's hope it's not one of YD's own.

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Aye,

Sincere condolences to the family and friends of the diver concerned. I too hope it isn't a YD member - though that said, we're divers, and in a way, we're all members one of another.

Dive safe all, always.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Imported post

There is more on this incident here:

here

The divers were shore diving, I guess we will never really know what went on, but just goes to show you can drown in a puddle.

Paul

·
Registered
91 Posts
Imported post

This is so sad for the family and friends of these two people. It just goes to show how dive safety has to be respected. I'm not for one minute saying that these divers were being irresponsible, but just pondering how dangerous it can be. I suppose its a bit of a wake up call when it does happen.

·
Registered
13,519 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>An update from BBC Wales

Diver's body is identified

The 41-year-old diver has not been named
A diver who died after getting into difficulties off the north Wales coast was an off-duty police officer, it has been confirmed. Paul Imeson, 41, was diving in Trearddur Bay, Anglesey.

He was part of a group of three divers from West Yorkshire who were exploring a sunken wreck on Saturday.

A post mortem examination is expected to take place at Ysbyty Gwynedd in Bangor on Monday.

During the incident on Saturday, Mr Imeson was taken to shore by his two companions, who gave him first aid while coastguards were called.

Holyhead coastguards launched a lifeboat and rescue helicopter.

He was taken to Ysbyty Gwynedd, Bangor, but he died 40 minutes after being admitted.

The two other divers were treated for shock.

Ealier reports said he was diving from Porth Diana, I can't work out which wreck he was diving, unless they were trying to shore dive Hermine.  That is quite a swim.

Fiona

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

Perhaps I've been too busy to notice but how many "incidents" have there been this month? I wasn't particularly aware that there'd been a lot.

·
Resident Sprog Plod
835 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#8D38C9'>about 5, at least a couple from west yorkshire, apparently guy in anglesey was doing training, whatever that means.
been quite a bad year.

·
Premium Member
5,739 Posts
Imported post

A few more details HERE. Now that he has been identified I have a sneaking suspiscion I know who he is and have dived with him on a couple of occasions. A very sad outcome and all our prayers are with Paul's friends and family.

·
Registered
9,720 Posts
Imported post

Its always bad to see diver related incidents especialy when it becomes a fateality, firstly condolences to the family for their unquestionable loss and to this mans buddys who where also with him,its a great loss an upsetting time for all divers even those not linked directly to this group

·
wibble
11,450 Posts
Imported post

Apparently scapa has been very quiet this season.  There was a guy at the start of the season.  My condolences to his family.  

Following the death of one of my colleagues in the summer a lot of people said it was tragic.  He died paragliding - doing the sport he loved.  I say that if people fall over, bang their head and die, that is tragic.  To die doing something you love, in my opinion, is a good way to go.

·
Street Cleansing Operative
4,427 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>A diver and a police officer - an exceptionally sad event from my point of view. Once again, sincere sympathy to all feeling his loss.

·
Grumbler-chief in Residence
1,969 Posts
Imported post

Hi,

One way or another this has been a terrible year, we seem to have lost a lot of divers. It is horrid, and I find it hard to understand why there have been so many terrible accidents this year. May be it is as simple as the fact that the weather has been so good and many more people have been able to get more dives in.

Still whatever, each time I read about another fatality my heart sinks.

Andrew

1 - 15 of 15 Posts