YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
a stroke of good looks
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
dragged my other half and mate down to Chesil today. The initial plan was to try Ringstead Bay but we (me) thought the viz would be better down Chesil, plus we weren't up for paying a tenner to take the car and trailer down to Ringpiece Bay.

Dropped the trailer off at the top of the ramp down Chesil and in good pikey diver fashion chained him to the railings on the pavement to stop him doing a bunk. It's handy as a day-store so you don't have to lug EVRYTHING down to the pebbles until you need it :D

Dive 1 I went in with my mate who was hoping to spear some fish for the BBQ. No fish that he wanted ot eat so the gun didn't even get loaded. SO as far as he was concerned it was a rubbish dive :D

I on the other hand thoroughly enjoyed it. AMong other things I saw this sea slug thing, (a pikey nudibranch with mobile home on his back), pipefish, a scorpion fish (I htink thats what it is), a couple of mahoossive cuttle fish that looked scary so I kept a safe distance, loads of tube worms and plenty of painted topshells each sporting their own unique pattern. On our way back to shore I noticed loads of tiny jellyfish from less than 1cm in size up to about 8cm. There were two different sorts at least. One looke dlike compass jellyfish the others looked like see-through peppers.

Out the sea almost an hour later and hot dogs were ready and waiting for us courtesy of SWMBO. shows how much faith she had in us hunting and gathering eh?

After the raw sausages had gone down it was time to get SWMBO in for her first dive of the year, she had it so easy, we carried all her gear down to the shore for her and my mate strapped her in ready to go. Took a while getting down because of ear trouble and we only managed about 10 minutes once down because the ear pain wasn't going away as we made our way deeper down the slope, so dive aborted. But, in those few minutes we saw a really cute Blenny hiding on this wreckage I can't remember seeing before, some good sized edible crabs, some tiny jellyfish, a colourful cuckoo wrasse and a load of squid eggs attached underneath that same piece of wreckage. (unless they were cuttlefish eggs maybe?)

I think I saw dynorob and minxy down there but wasn't sure, I've only met rob very briefly once before I think, and think I recognised minxy from pictures on the internet. aaaaah that sounds bad, i mean on here!! I was going to pop over and say hi but didn't want to make (even more of) a tit of myself if I was wrong, I'm sure I'll find out in a bit :D if it was you two, sorry, and Hi! we were the noisy ones with the thick dog chasing pebbles around all day.

8-9 degrees in the water, vis around the 5 metre mark, not much around in the way of fish or lobsters, but plenty of other interesting stuff that you don't normally notice, so if you get chance, get your backside down. don't forget, Party on the Pebbles on 22nd and 23rd May, there are a bunch of YD'ers going down, details here: http://www.yorkshire-divers.com/forums/planned-trips-spare-spaces/104163-party-pebbles-2010-a.html

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Sounds like a great day, like the pics! Who knows, one day I might be brave enough to progress from rocky pooling to diving here. I'll blame in on all you Yders posting such interesting pictures.:D

·
TTFN
1,757 Posts
I think I saw dynorob and minxy down there but wasn't sure, I've only met rob very briefly once before I think, and think I recognised minxy from pictures on the internet. aaaaah that sounds bad, i mean on here!! I was going to pop over and say hi but didn't want to make (even more of) a tit of myself if I was wrong, I'm sure I'll find out in a bit :D if it was you two, sorry, and Hi! we were the noisy ones with the thick dog chasing pebbles around all day.
Hi !

Yes we were there late afternoon, I had a quick dive and Minxsy did shore cover. Vis was OK going down the pebble slope but once it levelled out it got quite hazy. Only thing I saw (in other words I was too busy trying to outwit the unit and navigate at the same time) was a giant Ballan Wrasse, some eels, a hermit crab and three other divers who all tried to get tangled in my SMB line.

I saw your red cylinder parked on the beach next to one of the small wooden boats when I was up top after the dive, I took a look but didn't think it looked like a fire extinguisher (it must have been turned the wrong way) so thought it probably wasn't you. Saw the trailer chained to the railings as well :)

Minxsy has just said she thought she saw you when we arrived but it couldn't have been you as I would have said something :rolleyes:

·
a stroke of good looks
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yet to get any diving down south yet
you're starting to sound like James :D

that cylinder will be a fire extinguisher job, just not got around to printing the label up for that one yet. I thought to myself "if he comes out with a lobster then it's rob and i'll pop over" but you came out empty handed like us.

·
Proud to be "small minded" in the face of credulit
2,910 Posts
Your experience sounds remarkably similar to that of a pair of divers I met who were getting fills at F&B whilst I wasn't diving because of tooth trouble...

·
Proud to be "small minded" in the face of credulit
2,910 Posts
AMong other things I saw this sea slug thing, (a pikey nudibranch with mobile home on his back
That'll be a moon snail, AKA necklace shell. Video here: Large necklass shell

Not a nudi, but a snail that has a mantle that extends up and over its shell, making it very slippery and difficult for a predator to get hold of.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts