Solent Coastguard are currently co-ordinating the search for a missing diver after two further divers were taken to the hyperbaric unit at Queen Alexandra Hospital earlier this afternoon.
The Coastguard received a call from a dive boat at 12.20 pm today to report that one diver had surfaced with a rapid ascent. The first diver began to lose consciousness as a second diver surfaced from the 63 metre dive having completed just some of his stops. The Coastguard helicopter India Juliet was scrambled and Shoreham Lifeboat was launched.
When the helicopter arrived on scene, both casualties were evacuated to Horsea landing site where two ambulances and Portsmouth Coastguard were waiting. The ambulance took the two casualties to Queen Alexandra Accident and Emergency department and one has now been taken to the hyperbaric unit.
Upon returning to the dive site, the dive boat called the Coastguard again, this time to report that a third diver was missing. He had not surfaced when expected and was unaccounted for. The Coastguard Rescue helicopter India Juliet therefore returned again to carry out a search of the area along with Shoreham Lifeboat, which was joined by the dive boat and a further vessel in the search. However, as yet the diver has not been found and the search continues.
David Williams, Solent Coastguard Watch Manager said:
“The divers were wreck diving 15 miles south of Shoreham on Sea when this incident began. We know that the first diver made a rapid ascent from a very deep dive, although the second diver came up with some of his stops. We are still searching for the third diver and are very concerned for his well being. Conditions for searching are fine at the moment with good visibility and a south westerly force 5 wind.”
My poor old Dad got in a right flap yesterday because he thaught I might have been on the boat. I mainly dive mid week and I told him my next one was 60m. He couldent contact me till late in the afternoon and my wife was out too so he got all stressed out.
Terible news, I cant think what might of happened but the scinario where they were all looking after the injured divers and lost the other one on the surface is scary but quite possable.
In a dry suit and with present water temp they have a big survival window so there is still hope for the missing diver.
I've often thought one of These would be a comforting investment, along with a suitable depth rated canister.
Re the missing diver, (if still alive) hopefully as a techy he might be carrying fluids with him which will greatly increase his chances of survival; without water/other fluids he has about three days. Either way it would be a terrifying experience, ask the guy I know who was adrift off the Farnes Islands at night for several hours.
<font color='#0000FF'>I have just seem this on the BBC website.
Search for missing diver called off
The group were diving 15 miles off the Sussex coast at Shoreham
A search has been called off for a scuba diver who went missing after an expedition off the Sussex coast went wrong.
The Maritime and Coastguard Agency confirmed on Wednesday it would not be resuming the search for the 58-year-old Middlesex man.
He was one of three men involved in a dive to look around a wreck 15 miles off the coast of Shoreham on Tuesday.
One of the other two divers died after suffering the bends when he surfaced too quickly, while the third man is in hospital.
We are very confident that if there was anyone on the surface of the water we would have found them
Joanne Groenenberg, Maritime and Coastguard Agency
The emergency services were called just before 1230 BST on Tuesday by the skipper of the Michelle Mary, the boat the men were using as their base.
He reported two of the men had been injured after coming up too quickly from the shipwreck 63 metres below the sea's surface and the third man was missing.
The two injured men were flown by coastguard helicopter to Portsmouth's Queen Alexandra Hospital.
One of the men, from Slough in Berkshire, died later on Tuesday.
The second man, who is from Surrey, remains in hospital on Wednesday with injuries which are said to be non life-threatening, after treatment in a decompression chamber.
'Very thorough search'
The helicopter returned to the scene and joined the Shoreham lifeboat in searching for the missing third diver, who is from Uxbridge in Middlesex.
The search was called off at nightfall with no sign of the man.
Coastguards said early on Wednesday they would be making a decision later in the day as to whether to resume the search, but at about 1200 BST they confirmed they would not be.
Spokeswoman Joanne Groenenberg said: "We have now finished our search.
"The dive boat Michelle Mary has gone out again to search the area but that is a private search, we are not involved.
"Yesterday we did a very thorough search.
"We searched everywhere we could and that is why we are not resuming the search today.
"We are very confident that if there was anyone on the surface of the water we would have found them.
"The diver is still missing."
Sussex Police said there was no suggestion of foul play over the incident.
The force's underwater search team is preparing a report into the incident and examining the equipment used by the three experienced divers, in an attempt to find out what had happened.
Another sad day, for diving. If anyone knows these guys then please pass on my condolences to their families and friends.
Divers and specialist police divers have recovered the body of missing diver Martin Reed, from Uxbridge, Middlesex from the seabed close to the wreck.
The diver who died from decompression illness after a rapid ascent from 63m with no stops was 56-year-old Clyde Warner, from Slough.
The diver being treated for decompression illness is from Sutton, Surrey.
All three are described as experienced divers, and initial reports indicate that the tragedy was caused by an out of gas incident. The scuba equipment belonging to the dead divers is currently being examined by Sussex police.
They have given the name as Martin Reed for the diver discovered today, the spelling is similar to Martin Read who runs @Depth diving club, anybody know if its the same guy?
Police are indicating an OOA caused the problem. Somebody on Divernet is also claiming it was an Air dive, anyone know the truth about that as I didnt see it indicated anywhere, or did I miss something?
I have herd that all three divers were ex comercial divers and very experianced but that it was definatly an air dive to 60m.
but with rich deco gas. Aparently an OOA started the problems but details are sketchey and we shouldent jump to conclusions.
Its a sad day for the sport and worse as most non diving people wont understand the diferance between trimix diving to those depths and Air diving. We will all be lumped together.
I dont understand the comment from BSAC about a recommended max depth for trimix as 70m??? TDI qualifie you to 90m.