YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Just thought I'd say Hi to everyone. I'm based in Leeds & have been diving since 1987.

Unfortunatly I don't get as much diving done as I used to do, now that I've got kids.

Hopefully the list can provide useful info on my new interest in extended range diving.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Imported post

Hiya Richard

Welcome to the board mate, your just up the road from me so we should be able to buddy up sometime.

What exactly do you mean by extended range? Do you mean 'Deep Air' and if so why?

I'm also becoming very interested in technical diving and intend to progress down that road but I wouldn't want to go past say 40m max on air in some of the cold dark places around the UK, myself and others in YD are about to start training towards our 'Entry Level Trimix' ticket... would you be up for that? if so PM me and I'll let you know some details.

Best regards
Dave

(Edited by Dave Williamson at 12:36 pm on Oct. 1, 2002)

·
C-in-C the Amphibious Contingent
1,421 Posts
Imported post

Welcome Richard, nice to have you with us.  Always room for a few others!  Happy bubbling.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Imported post

Hi Dave, thanks for replying.

I would love to do the entry level trimix course, as it would be ideal to do 40-50m dives with a clear head.

Unfortunatly at the moment, I can't fully justify the cost of 1) the course & 2) gas fills. Having a 3 year old & another due in 6 weeks, my money is being spent elsewhere, and definitly doesn't leave any spare cash for trimix!!

It is something that I am definitly interested in doing in a the future. For the moment, I'm quite happy doing 30-40m dives when I can, applying ERD techniques to these dives.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Imported post

I understand completely mate, kids cost a bloody fortune, but I wouldn't swap em for a helium fill.... or would I??...

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Imported post

Wwll, your face at the weekend when you strapped on the Inspiration gave Brad a small amount of cause for concern!!

Good to have you here Richard - if trimix is a step too far there is an Advance Nitrox for mid-november at a very reasonable price?

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Imported post

Thanks for the offer, Driftwood, but I've completed the BSAC Extended Range Diver already.

Would love to do trimix in the future - will just have to wait until the kids let me have some spare cash!!!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Imported post

Welcome on board!

Nice to see a member from t'other site o't t'hill ont t'internet!

Keep bubbling - hope to meet up soon at some venue.

·
Gone...and probably best forgotten
1,403 Posts
Imported post

hello there richard

youre not too far away from me (dewsbury)  so heres to meeting up for a wet soon...

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Hey Richard,

Looks like you've just walked into an open invitation to join the next troop Nitrox course and hook up with them that shall be know as the 'Yorkshire Divers Techie Expedition Wallahs' (snappy and catchy title - not!).

Welcome aboard mate. You're in striking distance of any number of us, so please feel free to get yourself on to any of the posted trips (in-shore or oggin-bound) and don't be afraid to suggest any new or currently visited dive site that you fancy. You'll invariably turn up to find a very eager and safe bunch very happy to dive with you.

Look forward to reading your postings and hooking up soon for a wet.

Cheers,

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Imported post

Hey Richard  Never mind in the meantime you can dive with us poverty stricken Air breathers.:biggrin: Instead of paying homage to the Devil Gas.:smile:

Regards
Tony

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Hey Richard,

Para's right!! I didn't mean to exclude you from the other dive gigs we're on. Please consider yourself 'on' all the dives we do - not jst mixed gas!

My mistake. See ya soon.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Imported post

Well we're about six months or more away from using the old Donald Duck gas, so I think that means we're all in the same boat for now.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Imported post

Welcome aboard Richard, your not the only one on here that just uses plain old air!

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Imported post

Thanks for the offers, guys.

I am already nitrox qualified, and I use nitrox preferably on all my dives.

Next course I'm looking to do (when I can afford it), probably in 12 months or so, will be the Entry Level Trimix.

Regards,

Richard

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Imported post

Well Richard, our timescale may well go to pot or stay on track so keep an eye on the boards for our latest and you can always join us if convenient - I started a new thread in "Surface Interval" to chart our progress.

PS I think when Bren was talking about the Nitrox course he was inviting you down for a joy ride - he's done it already but will be there with us for a play. Fancy it?

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Imported post

</span>
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Quote: from Bren Tierney on 8:33 pm on Oct. 2, 2002
Looks like you've just walked into an open invitation to join the next troop Nitrox course and hook up with them that shall be know as the 'Yorkshire Divers Techie Expedition Wallahs' (snappy and catchy title - not!).
<span =''>
Well it beats Yorkshire Divers Trimix, Wreck and Technical Section......

YD T.W.A.T.S. :lol:

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Imported post

Drifty my man.. I like the name...I'll be proud to be part of the splinter group now known as YD T.W.A.T.S

So can I be Top Twat or will we leave that one for Andy as he'll be the one ripping off masks and turning off air at silly depths, so I imagine he'll be getting called that regularly anyway.....

1 - 20 of 33 Posts