YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
"hardly ever here"
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>following the recent nitrox thread, there's something that's been mildly puzzling me....

i've done the padi nitrox course, which covered use of nitrox 32 and 36, and EADs.  so far i've just used nitrox for normal dives, but for scapa and other deeper diving i'm thinking of using it for ascents and deco stops (no major deco) using a side-slung pony. (i've thought through all the redundancy and reserve issues).

this would be mainly for safety, as i would be doing the whole dive as air on my computer (can't do gas switches, and not keen on using tables). other reasons are to play with side-slinging, and to have extra gas for dives.

so, my question is - will i be able to get my pony filled using my PADI nitrox qualification? i was only thinking of using 40%, which i'm covered to use, but as i don't have a qualification that covers nitrox deco, will people refuse to fill my pony with nitrox? i don't see why they should, but if it's going to be a problem i'll shell out for the advanced nitrox course.

thanks for any comments, kate

·
I went DIR... but my bungies pulled me back!
400 Posts
Imported post

Cant think of a reason why not.

The only issue I can think of would be if something went wrong (God forbid) as the PADI course is for no stop only.  But I suspect that most people dive outide their quals at some time or other.

Using a rich nitrox mix for deco (not accelerated) is how BSAC run their Adv nitox and I think is a good start to deeper/longer stuff.  It give the oppertunity to build in a good safety factor which always helps.

·
Creature of the night
14,183 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Hi Kate,

you should not have a problem as long as you only have it filled to your cert level % when I went to Scapa depending on the dive I used the appropriate mix for that depth and dived and decompressed on the same mix with no problem.

Safe diving,
Steve.

·
"hardly ever here"
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Steve S @ Jan. 08 2004,13:12)]dived and decompressed on the same mix with no problem.
thanks guys. i'm not so much worried about being allowed to decompress on nitrox (just the same as doing decompression on a full nitrox dive as above), more about will people make a fuss about my qualification not covering gas switches (i.e. air in my main tank, pony for nitrox).

what's the point of the BSAC advanced nitrox course, apart from that extra 10% O2, if you can still do nitrox deco with the basic course? i thought the whole point was basic means dives on nitrox, advanced means decompression on nitrox. if there's no-one enforcing that, why bother?

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Kate,

You can go and take a Deco Procedures course (e.g. TDI) and that'll give you what ya need for doing correct and safe deco (regardless of how limited or lengthy that might be); or you can just use a weaker mix of Nitrox (e.g. 24 or 25%) and you'll be good for deeper dives (in the 35 to 50 metre range)  and still retain all the usual benefits of diving Nitrox, like extended bottom times, reduced nitrogen in the blood and feeling better and less tired than you would had you done the dive on 21%, or standard compressed air.

Hope that helps.

·
I went DIR... but my bungies pulled me back!
400 Posts
Imported post

BSAC Basic nitrox is 32% and 36% only, no stop only.  You are not trained to use ny other mixes.

BSAC Adv nitrox, any mix upto 40% as bottom gas, optimum gas for the depth.  Up to 50% as a deco gas but following the deco schedule as for the back gas (not accelerated to increase safety margin).  The course also covers deco procedures such as gas switches and use of DSMB inc mid water deployment.  Equipment configuration, twins etc

BSAC Combined Nitrox is the Basic and Avd courses together.

BASC Extended range is as above but allows deco gas upto 80% and covers accelerated deco.

HTH

·
more weaselly than a weaselly thing
3,628 Posts
Imported post

If you're just using it for safety, go with your PADI nitrox and 40%.

If you're truly getting into more advanced diving, then you'll probably go twinset, so I'd recommend going with a decent tech instructor who dives the stuff.

Theres a wealth of info on kit config and ways to make your life easier that your average instructor isnt 100% au fait with.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts