YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>As explained earlier my friend just got an external flash so it's very important for him to jump in the sea at all times. Also this morning.
We decided to go back to Karmøy, a ship sunk by British Seafires in '44 in a harbour an hour's drive from my town Harstad.
Unfortunately my friend forgot his cameragear outside the clubhouse  
(retrieved by his uncle an hour after we left) so he had to act as model. Told him to keep his legs together but he claimed his huge package prevented him from doing so  

Stats: Max depth 20 meters, 48 minutes below, a comfortable 4C in the sea and on shore.

FINALLY got close to one of these. Damn retractable fans...

Comments are welcome. I've turned into a wreckpicaholic but still need to improve on my technique. Damn I wish I had a wide-angle lens for my S40  

Kyrre

·
Registered
797 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>Don't know why you bother wit viz as bad as that!!!! I prefer nice warm quarries, now that's real diving.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Paul Beal @ Feb. 17 2004,16:36)]Does the viz get even better in the summer?
<font color='#0000FF'>That's the thing here up North. During the winter the algae certainly doesn't thrive with 2-4C in the water so the viz gets exceptionally good. Standard these months is 20-40 meters. Never below that.
Unfortunately during the "warm" summer months with temperatures from 12-14C the water gets quite green and you can, like last June, get viz down to 5 meters. That's not common though, while it's normally in the 10-20 meter range, certainly come August and September.

I'm trying to get in the water as much as possible now in the winter months, especially now that the sun's back.

Cheers,

Kyrre

·
Registered
377 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#728FCE'>Great pic of the tube/fan worm. The rest are very good as well.

Many Thanks.

·
Small, yet perfectly formed...
3,299 Posts
Imported post

Brilliant pics,,, i need to come to Norway soon

·
Registered
46 Posts
Imported post

Kyrre,

The photo of the fan is IMHO superb - I loved the way you say the viz is down to 5 mtrs, that' s about 4mtrs better than I normally get.

Cheers

Steve

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Thanx guys. I really appreciate the feedback. Your only problem is that you're tempting me to post more. Watch this space. Or some other.  

Kyrre

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
Imported post

Well that all looks top quality stuff to me, the wrecks, viz and pics.

Well done M8, you are managing to keep us all green with envey rather well.

Dive Safe

Paul

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Paul Oliver @ Feb. 19 2004,06:17)]Well done M8, you are managing to keep us all green with envey rather well.
<font color='#0000FF'>Well you're a very responsive crowd with a healthy netiquette which is rare these days. So I guess you're stuck with me and my pics.
(In reality I am employed by the Norwegian tourist board. I get 10 pence for every sucker I get to go to Norway for a "good viz and excellent wrecks" holiday. All the pics are really taken in a studio then "tweaked" until they look suitably amateurish for that oh-so-authentic look.  
Diving here is crap. But don't tell anyone.)

Kyrre

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

Nice pics again, Kyrre. I've been trying to get close enough to one of those Sabella worms to get a pic for ages. Well done!
4 degrees, eh? I'm envious, had minus 1 in the air, plus 1 in the surface water and plus 2 at depth (cold all the way down to 38 m) this evening. If you lot stopped hogging the Gulfstream and let us have a bit more of it instead of the bloody Baltic Current we'd be eternally grateful.  

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (John Gulliver @ Feb. 19 2004,23:58)]Nice pics again, Kyrre. I've been trying to get close enough to one of those Sabella worms to get a pic for ages. Well done!
4 degrees, eh? I'm envious, had minus 1 in the air, plus 1 in the surface water and plus 2 at depth (cold all the way down to 38 m) this evening. If you lot stopped hogging the Gulfstream and let us have a bit more of it instead of the bloody Baltic Current we'd be eternally grateful.  
<font color='#0000FF'>Thanks for the comments, John. That Sabella was particularly stubborn and I actually got a series of pictures showing it wafting about in the small current made by my not so GUE-approved leg movements. What you see in the background is actually a fishing net draped around the bow of the Karmøy.
Here's one showing the wafting:

I wouldn't mind diverting a bit of the Gulfstream but it's a bit tricky forcing it around the bend made by that wee isle west of the North Sea.
You remove England, I'll divert the Gulfstream.  

With that cold water, do you get any proper viz? I went snorkling outside Strømstad last year in the summer and it wasn't too bad really, save the jellyfish. I'd imagine you'd get quite allright visibility in the winter?

Kyrre

·
Street Cleansing Operative
4,427 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Norseman @ Feb. 18 2004,22:18)]Your only problem is that you're tempting me to post more.
<font color='#000080'>NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Norseman @ Feb. 20 2004,09:03)]With that cold water, do you get any proper viz? I went snorkling outside Strømstad last year in the summer and it wasn't too bad really, save the jellyfish. I'd imagine you'd get quite allright visibility in the winter?

Kyrre
Our vis varies a lot. Just now we only dive in the Gullmar'n fiord, which is our only proper fiord and the only place within reasonable reach of Gothenburg that has good shore diving - practically all the dive-boats are laid up at this time of the year. There's often a several-metre-thick lid of brownish water with zero vis on top of the water column (due to run-off from various small streams and the Örekil River) but under that the vis can be very good. Last night it was about 10 m but a few weeks ago, on a day dive, we could see the sun playing on the surface from 28 m. That's exceptional, though. In the summer, once the spring planktom bloom is over, 10-15 m is normal in the archipelago, the Strömstad/Koster/Väderöarna area generally having better vis than the Gothenburg archipelago, but even here 8-10 m is quite normal, so we can't complain.
The jellyfish can be a real pain in the proverbial in the late summer/early autumn. Last year we had a plague of lions mane, came up with minor burns on our cheeks after just about every dive.
PS I think it's time to resurect the Narvik thread, so I'll do so.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (John Gulliver @ Feb. 20 2004,09:48)]The jellyfish can be a real pain in the proverbial in the late summer/early autumn. Last year we had a plague of lions mane, came up with minor burns on our cheeks after just about every dive.
<font color='#0000FF'>You can imagine I had a bit of fun when we got the anchor line stuck in the propellor and I had to do apnea for about 40 minutes. Kate acted as a watch looking out for jellyfish while I did the cutting and tying and not-breathing.

Kyrre

1 - 15 of 15 Posts