YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Dived the Farnes on Sunday with a couple of YD'ers and saw the helicopter evacuating someone to the chamber - the following is taken from Divernet:

"Humber Coastguard rescues divers in three bends incidents

Fine weather and a bumper diving weekend at the Farne Islands resulted in Humber Coastguard dealing with three divers with suspected decompression illness.

A member of Durham Sub Aqua Association diving from RIB North Shore was airlifted to a hyberbaric chamber in Hull after making a rapid ascent from 28m after a dive on the wreck of the Somali. The woman appeared to have run out of air at the bottom, and was reportedly offered an alternative air source by her buddy, but shot to the surface, narrowly missing a hardboat at the busy site.

She was given oxygen at the surface by members of her club and taken ashore with her buddy while the skipper of dive charter Guide Me contacted the Coastguard and collected two members of the dive group who had surfaced after the incident had unfolded.

It was the third time that weekend that the Coastguard had launched a rescue for divers who were at risk, or suffering symptoms of the bends. On Saturday 19 July, a diver had been found outside the Harbour office after returning to shore with serious DCI symptoms.

"Please remind all divers how important it is to contact the Coastguard as soon as possible when an incident occurs. We can then coordinate the rescue effort with the other emergency services." Mike Green from the north-east Coastguard Agency told Divernet "Divers should get in touch with us as soon as a fast ascent has occured, do not delay contacting us until there are symptoms of decompression illness - we can connect you directly to a hyperbaric chamber for expert advice and evaluation. The diver's buddy and dive computer should accompany them if they require evacuation."

I'm glad the incident on Sunday doesn't seem as serious as it did on the day - my heart always sinks now when I see a Yellow Seaking flying low over the coastline.

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

If anyone has any more info it would be appreciated as I know a crowd that were their this weekend.

Peter

·
He that is called 'Dundee', from the clan 'Dundee'
1,286 Posts
Imported post

A few migrants from the North were there for the weekend. The Seaking lifted a couple of people on the Staurday afternoon, apparently one of them had a bit of a headache as he surfaced so the coast guard decided the trip to the pot would be a worthwhile precaution. One of his buddies was a bit pissed of saying that it was probably a sinus problem.

The sunday lift saw both divers walk onto the helicopter, no apparent symptoms despite the fast ascent.

Our crew where fine, except Dee lost her new torch on the Somali (well climbing back into the boat) and her mask at Knifestone.

Great weekend otherwise, lots of seals and blue skies.

·
Premium Member
5,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Imported post

Yeah - Sunday was awesome at Seahouses (the Somali was superb!) - pity we didn;t know you were there or we could have introduced ourselves. Was talking to one Glaswegian who had been on an Inspiration - one of yours?

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

Yep, That's him. John he's name is. I don't know if you ran into one of his crowd Chris. That's Dundee on YD. And if you saw the wee 40 something Irish girl then that's who I've been worried about all week and she lost her light cannon. The whole crowd that was on their boat are from my old club.

Peter

·
He that is called 'Dundee', from the clan 'Dundee'
1,286 Posts
Imported post

The "betached" John Nicholson was enjoying his first boat dive with his new inspiration. We are trying to find a new nickname for him,  "Ninja Turtle" was the most often used on the weekend.

Must head back to Seahouses this summer just to play with the seals again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts