YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Hi folks,
         This has came from a good friend. Gav, Fi you know who I mean i.e. "What you doing feeling my ar*e?"

- felt like a flag on the descent, came up feeling like shit - bad head and sick plus lost my lovely new light cannon torch(insurance won't pay up either) - next dive we attempted to dive through this channel with lots of seals - unfortunately the tide was running and I got pushed onto the rocks and had great difficulty getting off them - kinda wedged!! - P**l managed to get me off them but I had lost my mask due to waves crashing over my head - got back on board and then proceeded to be sick for the next 40 minutes - blinding headache and I hadn't even managed to get underwater - was off sick yesterday with it - still hanging round today - popping the pain killers.So an eventful dive weekend!!!

Do I take from that as the worst? Or from the girls, Does this sound like girlie things?

I spoke to her earlier today and she sounded distant/cagey/odd. The question really is; Do I turn round and say "Right darling, off to Millport with you?".
Help me on this one troops. She really is a good friend. (Just her hubby doesn't exactly like me)

Peter

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

Peter,

After what you went through I think you should be able to get a feeling for what she should do.

If nothing else you could advise her to phone a duty doc for his opinion.

Sod what her husband thinks of you,  just do what you think is right.

Better safe than sorry  

Daz

·
1,773 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>I'm with Daz on this. From what you describe it could be anything but it could either be a diving related injury or even a head injury both are serious and require medical attention.

Tell her to go and get it checked just in case.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Imported post

Recent experience tells me to agree with the lads. Symptoms of a bend aren't necessarily what you expect and it does no harm to get an expert opinion.

Best,

Paul

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Imported post

Peter
what do you have to loose, you're wrong and there's nothing wrong with her, good call, or she's sick and you helped to get her better, good call. Surely her husband couldnt get miffed at that, you are showing concern for his wife's well being not trying to get in her pants for God's sake. I mean you might be, knowing you, you probably are but that's another matter. If you think its a girlie thing is it that time of the month, bit delicate to ask I know but maybe a subtle hint. Like here babe you on, might do it.

Matt

·
Registered
223 Posts
Imported post

Completely agree - she has nothing to lose by getting herself checked out and I don't think you should worry about what her husband thinks of you:  he wouldn't be your biggest fan if she became even more ill and you then turned round and said "yeah, I thought something was wrong but didn't want to say anything".

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

Headache and nausea makes me think CO toxicity, but I'm with the rest, get properly qualified medical advice immediately and bollocks to irate hubbies.

BTW, last I heard from Phill, Millport Chamber was out of action due to an overhaul, haven't heard from him yet that it's back on line, which makes it all the more urgent not to delay as, IIRC,  you'd be looking at a longer trip to Dunstaffnage chamber.
Steve

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Imported post

Hi folks,
          Spoke to her today and thankfully she seems a lot better.
Steve, I think you're right. Later on last night I came to the conclusion that it sounds more like a CO2 hit. A neuro bend wouldn't have given her a headache as your brain doesn't have any nerve endings to feel pain from a bend.
The pot at Millport "should" be running again as it was only shutting for a week or so till they scavenged bits off the old one and put them in the new one.
Anyway, I'm probably seeing her on Sat so I'll run up and push her as hard as I can just to check her balance

Peter

·
Registered
163 Posts
Imported post

The pot at Millport is not running again yet, because we are NOT "scavenging bits off the old one to put on the new one", although 12 storage cylinders are being retained (along with 24 new ones - I've got air coming out of my ears). The b----y build company is now running 18 weeks late on an 18 week contract, yes I've sent them a letter of congrats.
Having said that what they've done is good - mind you on a £300,000 contract around a metal tube it should be).

·
Registered
163 Posts
Imported post

Oh yes, and a headache is a fairly regular symptom of a neuro.

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Phill @ July 25 2003,11:14)]The pot at Millport is not running again yet, because we are NOT "scavenging bits off the old one to put on the new one", although 12 storage cylinders are being retained (along with 24 new ones - I've got air coming out of my ears). The b----y build company is now running 18 weeks late on an 18 week contract, yes I've sent them a letter of congrats.
Having said that what they've done is good - mind you on a £300,000 contract around a metal tube it should be).
My apologies Phill,
                           I thought you were taking piping and other bits and pieces off the old one. Scavenging was probably the wrong choice of word.

Peter

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Imported post

Update,
I'm just off the 'phone to D and she was chambered on Thurs and Fri. If it wasn't for the advice from here and me, she would have carried on ignoring what her body was saying.

Thanks troops
Peter

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (peter k @ July 28 2003,15:10)]Update,
I'm just off the 'phone to D and she was chambered on Thurs and Fri. If it wasn't for the advice from here and me, she would have carried on ignoring what her body was saying.

Thanks troops
Peter
Good news indeed Peter,  not that she was chambered if you see what I mean but just given the alternate.

I hope she makes a full recovery.

Daz

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Imported post

Thanks Daz. The poor girl said she's done nothing but sleep. The stupids buggers never even thought to put her on O2. Even after she had been throwing up for 40mins on the boat and complaining about a headache. Ignorant assholes. One of them even offered to take her in for a dive!!!!!
But anyway, she's OK. If I hadn't listened to YD I wouldn't have "told" her to get checked.

Thanks troops
Peter

·
1,773 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>'kin 'ell Peter. Please pass my best onto her and tell her to get well soon.

I want to see her smiling face in a mask soon.

Gav

·
Resident Princess & 'Ned Redresser'
194 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Gavin Yates @ July 28 2003,20:15)]'kin 'ell Peter. Please pass my best onto her and tell her to get well soon.
<font color='#736AFF'>I second that!

Fi

·
Registered
281 Posts
Imported post

Glad she got sorted Peter, you owe yourself a slap on the back for keeping going with the good advice. I know what she means about sleeping, best cure for insomnia I ever had...

Best, P

1 - 18 of 18 Posts