YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Would someone be kind enought to save me the trouble of working out the method calculating the final pressure after decanting from one cylinder into another.

Example - twin 10s with 60 bar left. Decant from a 12 ltr single with 230 bar. What will the final equalized pressure be.

Assume constant temperature in all cylinders before and after the decanting.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#F52887'>I don't know the answer but when someone does I'll be very interested in knowing

·
23,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mary @ April 07 2004,10:56)]I don't know the answer but when someone does I'll be very interested in knowing
Mary,

Thank you very much for that helpful comment.  

Bryan

·
Registered
5,736 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#32CD32'>If the manifold is open, you'd end with 124bar in everything.

If you close the manifold and dedant into one, then decant into the other and then open the manifold, you'd end with 132bar in the twin 10s and 111bar in the 12.

Juz

·
23,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (beanie @ April 07 2004,11:11)]theres was a thread with calcs not long ago

bee right back...

thread
Well done, that man.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>(Vol 1 * Pressure 1) + (Vol 2 * Pressure 2)
                 Total volume

Should be self explanitory. In your case it is ((2*10 (twinset vol) ) * 60) + (12 * 230) / 32 =  1200 + 2760 / 32 = 123.75 Bar

·
That's Dude with an E
12,959 Posts
Imported post

Bryan,

l've worked out a spreadsheet on which you can start off with any size tank with any pressure and decant either a 230 bar 15 or 12 which gives the final pressure.

l'll e-mail it to you.

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
Imported post

Howard

Can i have one of those as well please

Paul

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Imported post

I've bunged a simple Excel chart which allows you to enter your tank's volume and the estimated equalized pressure you would get if you whipped it from some of the more popular filling cylinders. Its not perfect as it uses the ideal gas laws but it may be a handy kind of thing to laminate and keep in your kit bag. However, I should point out that, as far as I am concerned, its for interest only; if you blow yourself up as a result of using it then thats your problem (but please let me know so we can post it on the board and have a good laugh at your expense  
).

The sheet can be found on my largely empty and pointless web site.

·
Registered
5,736 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#32CD32'>Nick,

Might be worth 'unlocking' the pressure cell of the decanting cylinder, afterall, I might be topping my twins from a 15l at 210 bar. (not 232).

Juz

1 - 17 of 17 Posts