YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
You can't kill an idea...
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm busy sorting out a trip to Antigua for end of Jan / beginnning of Feb next year.

An accommodation we like the look of has the option of air-conditioning, payable in advance, by the day.

It's (relatively) expensive, anyone know if we'll need it at that time of the year?

We don't want to melt, but I guess overnight will be the key time, I expect to be outdoors (or underwater :) ) in the day anyway...

Cheers...

·
I provide much-needed sarcasm.
4,099 Posts
I'm busy sorting out a trip to Antigua for end of Jan / beginnning of Feb next year.

An accommodation we like the look of has the option of air-conditioning, payable in advance, by the day.

It's (relatively) expensive, anyone know if we'll need it at that time of the year?
They did the same at the place I stayed in St Lucia. I didn't bother, but I guess it depends on your tolerance of heat. I found a room fan was perfectly adequate. Keeps the mozzies off too. I would have thought you could pay locally if you changed your mind when you got there.

Jason

·
Registered
45 Posts

We don't want to melt, but I guess overnight will be the key time, I expect to be outdoors (or underwater :) ) in the day anyway...

Cheers...
I was out there in Feb 2006, i call it my second home. It was in the late 80's most of the time but there is a constant breeze which takes the edge off it. We had air con in our villa in Jolly Harbour but it was broken and was only repaired the day before we left so we survived. But if i was given the option i would have it, its wicked coming back to a cool room after a days diving.

If you need any help just ask, ive been there 8 times. Ive only got 142 days to go until i go back!!

·
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's a villa in Jolly Harbour...

Is this an OK area to stay?

The villa looks like it meets our requirements (food, drink, beach etc. :) ).

·
Registered
13,519 Posts
Think so, I believe it is a popular hotel and resort. During my 5 trips I preferred smaller resorts.

I always hired a car, don't know if it's something you are planning on doing.

·
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
During my 5 trips I preferred smaller resorts.

I always hired a car, don't know if it's something you are planning on doing.
Any resorts you'd recommend?
Have you been there on packages? We are booking independently so interested in recommended 2-bedroom accommodations.

Yes, I think we will hire a car...

·
Registered
45 Posts
It's a villa in Jolly Harbour...

Is this an OK area to stay?

The villa looks like it meets our requirements (food, drink, beach etc. :) ).
I stay in the villas because its perfect for our needs, the Dive Center is 2 mins walk away. They have security guards there to control unwanted 'guests' that might stray down near the villas as all the beaches are public. Castaways is on the beach next to the dive centre....they do a wicked rum punch. :teeth: Apart from that there are plenty of restaurants up in the main centre which is about a 10 min walk or there is a free shuttle service. Failing that you can go all inculsive into the Jolly Beach Hotel next door, it works out to be about £40 per day which is fine if you are a big drinker.

I love the place, the people are so friendly and i feel safe out there and thats why i keep going back.

·
Registered
13,519 Posts
I only went to 3 places one doesn't seem to be a resort anymore, but the location at Half Moon Bay was absolutely stunning, take a trip down there - south of the island.

I also stayed at Pineapple Beach but left after the first week, I don't like all inclusive places but I guess if there is a group of you then they are fine and the only place I would recommend is Blue Waters - stayed there 3 times.

I am sure Jolly Beach Villas will be fine, however I would take the aircon option, looks like a large complex with lots going on.

Mrs.T said:
I love the place, the people are so friendly and i feel safe out there and thats why i keep going back
Can't argue with that and I was travelling as a single, the best trip I had was Carnival week :D the Half Moon management organised for a few of us to go into St Johns about 3am for Jump up, the rum punch was flowing even at that time.

I used to go for 3 week trips and I'd go back again but I could do 3 redsea trips for the same cost :) Now a dive trip has more appeal

1 - 11 of 11 Posts