YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
20,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a double oven thing, the top oven/grill has stopped ovening.

The pilot light kicks in on ignition but there is no ooomph, it used to go oooomph after a few seconds but no longer, any ideas, quotes?

Would house insurance cover this sort of thing?

TIA

·
Registered
12,457 Posts
We have a double oven thing, the top oven/grill has stopped ovening.

The pilot light kicks in on ignition but there is no ooomph, it used to go oooomph after a few seconds but no longer, any ideas, quotes?

Would house insurance cover this sort of thing?

TIA
Sounds like it may be broken in some way.

·
Waiting to see what happens
3,844 Posts
oven flame failure device (ffd) has packed up. Make sure the probe (a silverish looking thing with a fine capillery wire coming out of it) is located in its holder over the burner, sometimes held with a clip that falls off. On the assumption that it is you'll need a new oven ffd for you top oven. Make and model inc GC number (on data plate at back of cooker usually, but not always) and I can sort it for you if you wish - might have to wait till 27th may though as i'm diving out of plymouth that day. :D

·
Registered
20,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
oven flame failure device (ffd) has packed up. Make sure the probe (a silverish looking thing with a fine capillery wire coming out of it) is located in its holder over the burner, sometimes held with a clip that falls off. On the assumption that it is you'll need a new oven ffd for you top oven. Make and model inc GC number (on data plate at back of cooker usually, but not always) and I can sort it for you if you wish - might have to wait till 27th may though as i'm diving out of plymouth that day. :D

FFD...FFS...;)

We can wait til the 27th. Very kind offer sir. If it is just a case of unclipping the existing one and clipping in a new one then I could do that? Or might we all die horribly?

Will get the details for you...

PM me with your quote for labour.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
FFD...FFS...;)

We can wait til the 27th. Very kind offer sir. If it is just a case of unclipping the existing one and clipping in a new one then I could do that? Or might we all die horribly?

Will get the details for you...

PM me with your quote for labour.
is this a good excuse for bad cooking then? faulty oven = burnt tea!

you may die horribly, but its likely another of these 'corgi' jobs. (or whatever they are now called!)
where you have to be in the club to turn the screw etc etc
:D

·
3,844 Posts
unfortunately the part is a gas carrying componant and as such must be performed by a competant person. The hse definition of competant is a person or persons registered under the 'gas safe' scheme - namely me. This is in no way a reflection on other peoples level of competancy (whether they be registered or not) mearly insurances will pay out if it all goes pants and I burn your house down, they wont if you use an unregistered person (and he risks jail). :D

·
The smell of freshly turned delrin is more powerfu
3,173 Posts
(and he risks jail). :D
thought we ditched all this crap when corgie got the boot... HSE actually say its fine to do for a friend but not allowed to charge.. I know because I asked them..

only helpful if you have a competent friend :)

·
Registered
20,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thought we ditched all this crap when corgie got the boot... HSE actually say its fine to do for a friend but not allowed to charge.. I know because I asked them..

only helpful if you have a competent friend :)
When it comes to gas appliances I would rather have the right person for the job than blow the place up.

·
3,173 Posts

·
3,844 Posts
trouble is the hse's definition of gas competance means that should something go wrong the 'fitter' needs to prove that the work he has done is at the very least up to the current standards and legislation this in practice means having all the accreditation certificates in the areas of work they are involved in - and if you've done that then the couple of hundred quid to join gas safe is minimal. The demise of CORGI was all about the HSE gaining control of the trade mark and not about a relaxation of standards. As far as doing gas work (payed or unpaid) for a third party (even a relative) without being registered your are I'm afraid breaking the law, the man from the HSE has misinformed you! On a side note you can as a householder legally do any work you wish on your primary residance provided its done competantly (as stated before the easiest way to demonstrate competance is holding the correct accrediation certs) other wise you can find yourself on very sticky ground trying to prove yourself in court. Also were you aware that a large amount of DIY stuff is now notifiable to building control, new kitchens - bathrooms - running that bit of power to the garden shed etc etc. Without the required certs the conveyancing solicitors get a little twitchy and you may find yourself paying though the nose to get stuff checked and certificated post event.

Sorry to be the harbinger of doom but to get all current and political you can blame the current government in collusion with europe for much of this new legislation and its only going to get worse :(

·
3,173 Posts
As far as doing gas work (payed or unpaid) for a third party (even a relative) without being registered your are I'm afraid breaking the law, the man from the HSE has misinformed you! On a side note you can as a householder legally do any work you wish on your primary residance provided its done competantly :(

HSE seemed very clear to me as to if it was leagle or not, this was about two years ago so I dont know if position has changed now ?
but you say "On a side note you can as a householder legally do any work you wish on your primary residance provided its done competantly " this was part of the same clause quoted and the charging was the diffrence between leagle or not...

I got involved because of a very loud plumber in my diving club just quoting same shit Corgie was pushing and actualy not quoting the real law of the land, the one that I would happly stand up in court and defend :)..

I dont want to spend the time rechecking my facts again with building control and the HSE. anyone one having gas or eletrical work done needs to have it done safely and yes the quick way is to to pay a man with the right certification,
funny thats almost the same as in diving :)

getting it wrong is all to easy by cutting costs.

·
Please delete all my posts
12,604 Posts
trouble is the hse's definition of gas competance means that should something go wrong the 'fitter' needs to prove that the work he has done is at the very least up to the current standards and legislation this in practice means having all the accreditation certificates in the areas of work they are involved in - and if you've done that then the couple of hundred quid to join gas safe is minimal. The demise of CORGI was all about the HSE gaining control of the trade mark and not about a relaxation of standards. As far as doing gas work (payed or unpaid) for a third party (even a relative) without being registered your are I'm afraid breaking the law, the man from the HSE has misinformed you! On a side note you can as a householder legally do any work you wish on your primary residance provided its done competantly (as stated before the easiest way to demonstrate competance is holding the correct accrediation certs) other wise you can find yourself on very sticky ground trying to prove yourself in court. Also were you aware that a large amount of DIY stuff is now notifiable to building control, new kitchens - bathrooms - running that bit of power to the garden shed etc etc. Without the required certs the conveyancing solicitors get a little twitchy and you may find yourself paying though the nose to get stuff checked and certificated post event.

Sorry to be the harbinger of doom but to get all current and political you can blame the current government in collusion with europe for much of this new legislation and its only going to get worse :(
and the bit that makes a mockery of the whole thing. work put me through the gas safe course as we had a candidate drop out and rather than pay the fee for nothing sent somebody. i am a spark by trade, never done any gas fitting work although i do know one endof a gas solenoid from the other :) i passed . would i say i m competent - no not by a long way but i was "competent " enough to pass. who say its not mostly about money

·
3,844 Posts
and the bit that makes a mockery of the whole thing. work put me through the gas safe course as we had a candidate drop out and rather than pay the fee for nothing sent somebody. i am a spark by trade, never done any gas fitting work although i do know one endof a gas solenoid from the other :) i passed . would i say i m competent - no not by a long way but i was "competent " enough to pass. who say its not mostly about money
I know what you mean, I did my part P when it came in but I wouldn't class myself as a sparks but the certs dont limit you. Transferance of liability and insurance is whats driven this

·
Please delete all my posts
12,604 Posts
I know what you mean, I did my part P when it came in but I wouldn't class myself as a sparks but the certs dont limit you. Transferance of liability and insurance is whats driven this
ooh don't get me started on part P . we have a perfectly good system called the electrotechnical certification schemerun by the JIB. exactly what the ODPM wanted. but all the sub commitees and Quangos diluted it and didn't make the industry any safer. reason it came in was to stop dodgy installers ( kitchen fitters are a good example and i ain't tarring all kitchen fitters) but all that happened is the dodgy ones paid the £500 for a "training " course and the annual fees to NAPIT NICEIC ECA etc yet fully qualified time served electricians with NVQ level 4 ( Me) are barred from doing wok till they cough out more cash. its a tax on tradesmen and its a labour Government that brought it in. rmember that next election.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts