YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Wrecking the Plan
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally booked the family holiday .........Turkey and I have been given permision to Dive ! for a day or two !

Anybody done the Gallipoli area ? or closer to Bodrum /Dalyan where we are based ? Able to travel but would like to know if anything decent re wrecks etc worth lugging the kit along ?
I did some stuff with the kids a while back and its got great viz and promise etc .......but any info re operators doing boat stuff etc would be usefull info for holiday plan

Thanks
db

· Wrecking the Plan
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Turkey ???

Okay
Somebody must have dived in Turkey ?

I checked out one site and it all goes 'NOT AVAILABLE 2008' ?? Re wreck diving etc etc etc .......
I know its not an interesting thread but someone must have done it in Turkey ?
db

· It doesn't look like that from where I'm sitting..
4,733 Posts
Hi Dick,

I've dived Turkey... depends what you want.... there isn't too much in the way of 'large' life, but there are still a lot of smaller fish (including some good bait balls, shoals of barracuda and the occasional large grouper. If you are lucky (and I mean VERY lucky) you may get the odd dolphin, but I've yet to see one.

The topography is great in places, but it is like a moonscape, with very little growing fauna on the reefs. There are tunnels and swim throughs, if you are in some areas.

I've not actually dived in the area you are staying, but I've dived Fethyie and Antalya (ish).

Can't tell what level you are at from your profile... but it really is holiday diving and no real great shakes... I take my gear when I go, but that's cos any chance of a wet is a good dive to me!

If you need any more info, just PM me.

HTH

Pete

· Devout Sceptic
4,727 Posts
Hi there.

Here is a thread I contributed to a few day ago.

http://www.yorkshire-divers.com/for...dation-liveaboards/66259-marmaris-turkey.html

Turkey is BIG.

It takes hours to get anywhere so the best place to stay is where there is good diving.

I've only ever dived in Marmaris Bay in Turkey. I keep going back for more, so it must be ok!! I don't even consider travelleing to other locations. You could pop over the peninsula to the Gulf Of Gokova. I believe there is some diving there.

The Bodrum area has some old Naval boats which were sunk as dive attractions a year or so ago. Look on Youtube for some video.

There must be many many wrecks within the recreational limit but I don't know of any worthwhile ones that are legal to dive. There was a great fanfare of publicity when Turkey lifted it's almost blanket ban of diving in all but a few restricted sites. They wanted to open up the coastline to dive tourism to rake in more Euros. I haven't seen anything exciting appearing in the press about great new dive sites. But then I haven't particularly looked.

Paul

· T.L.S. More dives than posts
683 Posts
I did a liveaboard a few years ago on one of the gullets out of Bodrum,As has already been said the topography is awsome but little life (though on a night dive we did see several octopus)Plenty of broken urns and crockery scattered about.don't remember any wrecks.The holiday was great with a good crowd on board but the diving pretty poor.Sorry this isn't more positive
enjoy your hol.

· Dedicated Lurker
931 Posts
I have had a week on a gullet liveaboard diving - the boat sailed from Fetyhe to Marmaris. The diving wasn't good for the marine life but the underwater scenery with swimthroughs etc was good. Some sites had amphora's too. The crack on the boat was excellent and just gently sailing around was brill.

The second week we stayed at a hotel in Fetyhe and dived with European Divers outfit doing day boat diving.

Would do the gullet thing again but the diving generally was poor, they seem to use dynamite to get the fish out of the water:(

Lyv

· The swimming rodent
2,569 Posts
We stayed in the area 2 years ago and had a great 2 weeks diving with Elite Diving Accadamy. They were based at the next town around the headland from Bodrum - Yalikavak and they were based at the Flipper Club.

Good boat, plenty of tea and simple easy diving. Like most of the area you have to have a guide, by law, but they were pretty laid back and I often ended up leading with their guide happily following on.

There was a couple of places in Bodrum advertising and I know people that have dived with them but know no more.

· Wrecking the Plan
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We stayed in the area 2 years ago and had a great 2 weeks diving with Elite Diving Accadamy. They were based at the next town around the headland from Bodrum - Yalikavak and they were based at the Flipper Club.

Cheers all Have now sent off a load of emails and await replies .......none so far though so they must be busy
db

· It doesn't look like that from where I'm sitting..
4,733 Posts
Cheers all Have now sent off a load of emails and await replies .......none so far though so they must be busy
db
Dick, it's closed season for them... some don't bother even going to the centre unless they've got pre booked (yup, you can still dive Turkey at this time of the year!).

Many of the people who work in the resorts in the summer live in the cities many, many miles away until the season begins again... you may have a long wait for some of them!

Pete

· Registered
1 Posts
Hi there.

Here is a thread I contributed to a few day ago.

YD Scuba Diving Forums

Turkey is BIG.

It takes hours to get anywhere so the best place to stay is where there is good diving.

I've only ever dived in Marmaris Bay in Turkey. I keep going back for more, so it must be ok!! I don't even consider travelleing to other locations. You could pop over the peninsula to the Gulf Of Gokova. I believe there is some diving there.

The Bodrum area has some old Naval boats which were sunk as dive attractions a year or so ago. Look on Youtube for some video.

There must be many many wrecks within the recreational limit but I don't know of any worthwhile ones that are legal to dive. There was a great fanfare of publicity when Turkey lifted it's almost blanket ban of diving in all but a few restricted sites. They wanted to open up the coastline to dive tourism to rake in more Euros. I haven't seen anything exciting appearing in the press about great new dive sites. But then I haven't particularly looked.

Paul
bodrum bay is the start of the gulf of gokova and is full of wreck thousands of years old . around cleopatra island there are islands full of old military garrisons ,some people recon they are around 4000 years old .

1 - 11 of 11 Posts