YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having now taken my baby paddler's BCU 2 star I am ready to spend to shiney pennies in a kayak shop of my choice. Only problemo is... - too much choice and the last thing I want is to buy the kayak equivalent of the Mares hub!

I have narrowed down my options to a couple of models, sat in them, found them comfy, but now I need reassurance that they are the right sort of thing and I won't be laughed off the water for my choice of vessel - I'll leave that for my elegant capsizes :D

Can anyone help?

Ta v much...

Lou

·
Mark Milburn
4,076 Posts
I have an Ocean Kayak Drifter. It was designed to be dived off so is very stable and plenty of room. It is easy to paddle and goes through the water well. It is slightly on the heavy side at around 25kg but it is huge, over 13ft long and about 34" wide!! It is easy to dive off with a single cylinder and isn't too big to fit on a car roof.

Just my opinion as an Ocean user, take it for a spin of you want.

·
I came, I saw, I dived
552 Posts
Apologies for the highjack :)

I to am thinking about getting a kayak, so I can pop down the beach after work in the summer for a quick paddle.

I thought about one of the shorter ones (playboat?), would one of these be suitable/stable enough or am I better off looking for a full sized one?

·
Brittlestar Galactica
419 Posts
Having now taken my baby paddler's BCU 2 star I am ready to spend to shiney pennies in a kayak shop of my choice. Only problemo is... - too much choice and the last thing I want is to buy the kayak equivalent of the Mares hub!

I have narrowed down my options to a couple of models, sat in them, found them comfy, but now I need reassurance that they are the right sort of thing and I won't be laughed off the water for my choice of vessel - I'll leave that for my elegant capsizes :D

Can anyone help?

Ta v much...

Lou
Lou

What models are you looking at and what sort of paddling are you going to be doing? Flat water (canals etc), rivers, white water, sea etc.

I have to confess to having lost the kayaking bug a little bit after I started teaching professionally and I now only go accasionally but if you let me know what you want from a boat I'll try and help.

·
Utrinque Paratus
6,077 Posts
depends what you are looking to do with this Kayak however i brought two sea going inflatables (2 seaters) and they are great for open sea and rivers
PM me if you want details

Graham

EDIT just found these pictures of them i can use it as a single and dump all my kit on it and use it as a dive platform

Attachments

·
Resident Windfarmologist
1,852 Posts
aye

perception dancer - cracking boat!im not into my white water, and now am an open boat man, but still teach with the scouts (level 2 assessed) every thursday.

Use to like the riot air, but now no thanks :(

Speak to my mate lawrence who owns ukcanoes.com he can help - based in lancaster

Keith

G

·
hey lou...it really does depend on what u want to do like the others say. i learnt through scouts in a dancer and a mirage. i then had a perception whipit then i bought my own and got a pyranah blade. my bro has a rpm dagger! all good boats! if you ave just done 2* (they are changing the grading soon i think) you will probably be looking at starting to roll! i that its easier to learn to roll in boats that dont have a big keel..like the dancers but not my blade! if u just want to pootle down canals etc then mirages and dancers are nice. playboats seem to drag [email protected] not designed for pootling though! hope u make the right decision! Amzxxxx

·
Brittlestar Galactica
419 Posts
hey lou...it really does depend on what u want to do like the others say. i learnt through scouts in a dancer and a mirage. i then had a perception whipit then i bought my own and got a pyranah blade. my bro has a rpm dagger! all good boats! if you ave just done 2* (they are changing the grading soon i think) you will probably be looking at starting to roll! i that its easier to learn to roll in boats that dont have a big keel..like the dancers but not my blade! if u just want to pootle down canals etc then mirages and dancers are nice. playboats seem to drag [email protected] not designed for pootling though! hope u make the right decision! Amzxxxx
Ahh the blade now that brings back memories. A guy I used to work for was sponsored by pyranah and we took one of the first blades in the country to holme pierpoint for a play. We nearly drowned ourselves lol, there was no other boat around that would go vertical so easily back then!

I always used to paddle a perception supersport, lovely boat but a little edgey till you got used to it. The dagger honcho <sp> was a very nice play boat for the bigger paddler as well.

All that said my fondest memory from back then was floating down the dordogne in France in a canadian canoe rafted up to about 10 other boats with a nice bottle of red in the boat! Happy days :shade:

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok, I am thinking of a touring boat for coastal and estuary pootling - none of this white water, rivery stuff :D So longer, faster, still stablish (compared to a sea kayak) and easy to load with stuff for a day trip if wanted. Not a sit-on-top, purely for personal preference.

2 star has covered capsize and rescue, both staying in the cockpit and deepwater rescue back into the boat. I was great fun :D But cold.....

·
Ginger, Irish, sometimes stroppy
5,997 Posts
I learned a long time ago and am thinking about getting back into it. My last boat was home made in a garage, but it was the 80's :)

I am thinking about getting something that I can use with my SO, either for a day of river exploration, or when visiting lakes/broads/coast etc for a short pootle.

With that in mind I found an inflatable two seater from 'advanced elements' (I think) that looked perfect.......packed down small enough to go in the car for camping hols etc, but seemed to have reviewed well for sea, river and single person use......compared quite well to some rigid boats. I was pretty sold on it until I found the price was £600, but then I discovered in the US it is $600 so I may get it when I inevitibly get over there again.

Let me know how you get on, we often end up over in your part of the world if you and C fancy meeting up for a paddle when we all get boats :)

G

·
Ok, I am thinking of a touring boat for coastal and estuary pootling - none of this white water, rivery stuff :D So longer, faster, still stablish (compared to a sea kayak) and easy to load with stuff for a day trip if wanted. Not a sit-on-top, purely for personal preference.

2 star has covered capsize and rescue, both staying in the cockpit and deepwater rescue back into the boat. I was great fun :D But cold.....

You'd probably be better off with a nice and cheap dancer or mirage then. stick everything in dry bags and push it behind you...and off you go...they're sturdy boats, its what all the kids learn in because they're versitile and stable but i think they make great "all rounder" boats for anyone...

Ax

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You'd probably be better off with a nice and cheap dancer or mirage then. stick everything in dry bags and push it behind you...and off you go...they're sturdy boats, its what all the kids learn in because they're versitile and stable but i think they make great "all rounder" boats for anyone...

Ax
The advice I had from my instructor was that really these sorts of boats were too short in the waterline to make it anything near comfortable in a small sea, or with a wind. Did you not find that?

I learnt in a Pyrahna G3 - quite liked it, but he advised against that sort of thing for what I wanted.

G

·
The advice I had from my instructor was that really these sorts of boats were too short in the waterline to make it anything near comfortable in a small sea, or with a wind. Did you not find that?

I learnt in a Pyrahna G3 - quite liked it, but he advised against that sort of thing for what I wanted.
Hi Lou,

I didnt really go in the sea with the dancers. I dont remember going anyway. Ive only ever done white water and canal/river stuff. I guess that you can get sea kayaks that are for touring but not if you get what i mean...but i really dont know much about sea kayaks.

I like pyrahna boats though. and perception boats. maybe get on the websites of pyrahna, perception etc. good for sea kayaks...see what you find. Id do it for you but I just dont have the time right now...maybe in a few days...ok?

Ax

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
This is the one I have chosen....for now! Mind could be changed however.

In yellow. :D

·
Registered
254 Posts
Lou,

If you are going to use it in te sea, then a sea kayak is one of the better options.

However if your interest may turn to surfing, then a Dancer is not a bad choice. You can always put a skeg on it to get some directional stability.

A true sea kayak comes in many forms, so if you have been put off by the tipability then try different one before you buy.

I am up in Scotland so the SCA (Scottish Canoe Association) is the governing body, but I am sure that the BCU (British Canoe Union) will be very similar in that there may be a local club who you can speak to and maybe loan a boat.

Re the tipability, basically the wider the boat the more stable it is, but it will also require more effort to push it through the water. As in all things in life this is a compromise. After a while you do get use to it.

Re the whole GRP v plastic arguement. GRP is lighter and you can get a better shape for the boat, but if you enjoying rock hopping around the coast, then plastic is much more robust. There is nothing worse than the sound of the boat gelcoat scraping against rocks or barnacles.

Some sea boats have a skeg, this can be useful to adjust the direction when there is a cross wind. The boat will be balanced to go into the wind with skeg up and down wind with it down. However they can be a bit of a pain if you launch off a shell laden beach as the shells can get stuck in the skeg hole.

You do know that this is going to affect the amount of free time that you have to go diving :), having said that it is a wonderful way to travel, and the seals and otters are great fun to observe.

If you want any more info, then drop me a PM.

Paul

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
aaagh! The choice is too huge.

I would love a true sea kayak - but I think something just a bit easier to handle for the learning curve wouild be better. Plus a plastic boat (for all the rocky entries and rough handling of a novice) is a definite.

If I start staring longingly at the waves a cheapy secondhand small thing may have to be added :D

The idea is this compliments the diving - not takes time away from it, btw! I can launch at Prothkerris between dives in the summer, and go and bug those folks below water dropping things on them :D

1 - 20 of 31 Posts