YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year I was assaulted in Berlin by a Canadian.

This morning I finally received a letter from the German Prosecutors Office stating that as the assailant was a foreign national and had left the country the day after the attack they would not be pursuing the case further.

They have given me his address so that I can pursue a civil case if I want.

What would I need to do to pursue this? Should I bother?

·
Registered
24,810 Posts
Whereabouts in Canada?
i know people out there.... I could get them to knock on his door... save you the plane fare :D

·
Registered
10,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Whereabouts in Canada?
i know people out there.... I could get them to knock on his door... save you the plane fare :D
Ottawa....thanks......but like I say....I prefer legal process....I suspect one night in a proper prison would be enough to turn him into a quiverring wreck!

·
Registered
24,810 Posts
Ottawa....thanks......but like I say....I prefer legal process....I suspect one night in a proper prison would be enough to turn him into a quiverring wreck!
Ah... a bit far... my connections are in Alberta, so i suspect we are in fact closer here! :D

·
Registered
679 Posts
Unfortunatley i think it would be expensive to pursue and fairly pointless in all honesty.
Maybe have to put it down to experience as unplesant as that maybe.

·
The worlds slowest sailor.
2,970 Posts

This morning I finally received a letter from the German Prosecutors Office stating that as the assailant was a foreign national and had left the country the day after the attack they would not be pursuing the case further.

They have given me his address so that I can pursue a civil case if I want.

What would I need to do to pursue this? Should I bother?
go take 30mins free legal advice.
you will need eye witness statments and some sort of proof of your injuries.

let us know what happens.

·
beware of limitations
3,443 Posts
Scuttler said:
Now that sounds like a night out. Hats off. Hope it wasn't too grim. Two ways forward with this:

1, Bring a civil action against the aggressor. For this to yield significant amounts of compensation, your injuries will have to have left permanent scars and / or have led you to financial loss (e.g. loss of earnings).
If this is the case, go and see your local lawyers, or PM me.

2, You could contact the Canadian law enforcement agencies and make a complaint. This would depend on their willingness to take this on. I'm betting this won't be great, but you never know.

Martin

1 - 9 of 9 Posts