YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Is fully Mod 1'd up
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone

I have had some stitches in my arm since the 11th of april. I was told they are dissolvable but to date they are still there. I hate going to the doctors so does anyone know if its ok to pull them out somehow? There is nothing to cut, all there is, is a knot at either side, but one of the knots has enough on it to get hold of.
I was told that 7-10 days should be long enough for them to disappear.

thanks in advance

adam

·
Registered
10,736 Posts
you would need a sterile suture blade and some fine tweezers to do this but yes, you can take them out. You would be much better nipping down to the GP surgery and getting the practice nurse to do it for you in a jiffy, that way, she will make sure that it is done properly.

You would have to hold the knot with the tweezers and then snick the suture and pull it through. It's best done by someone who knows what they are doing though and someone who can use two hands!!!

·
Is fully Mod 1'd up
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
will it hurt ? I'm a wimp.... the knot seems to be buried under the skin... is this normal?
knowing my luck i will have unknowingly gone to Fred Elliots school of butchery :frown:

·
Registered
989 Posts
will it hurt ? I'm a wimp.... the knot seems to be buried under the skin... is this normal?
knowing my luck i will have unknowingly gone to Fred Elliots school of butchery :frown:
get yourself to the docs....end of :redface:

You'll give yorkshiremen a bad name

·
Registered
10,736 Posts

Hurt? It might hurt a bit but hey, you'll probably have a nice sexy nurse to chat to and take your mind off it. It won't hurt much. Be brave.
And they might say "just leave it alone to dissolve, it's fine" and that won't hurt at all.

·
Is fully Mod 1'd up
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok I *might* go to the nurse, I'll tell her that I've been talking to purple vonny and she sez it dunt hurt ;)
Thanks for the replies

Adam

·
Banned
1,601 Posts
Nail clippers, give em a swirl in Bacardi, down whats left & dig in!

HTH

Chris/z
:)

·
Is fully Mod 1'd up
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Big girls blouse springs to mind:teeth:
cheers
Mark
Indeed, I'm terrible with needles and medical stuff..... Moz wont help you, we had to go for our holiday jabs together the last time and he fainted when he had stitches out !!

cheers

adam

·
Street Cleansing Operative
4,427 Posts
Don't be a tart - just yank the buggers out! I had them after surgery on my back and they just wouldn't go. Got to the point where they were itching like mad and driving me to distraction! Fine scissors and tweezers is all it needs - doesn't hurt at all.

Get on with it, man! :)

·
BSAC convert
176 Posts
Last time I had stitches I took them out myself after a week or so. A bit to drink first made sure there was no pain :)

·
C-in-C the Amphibious Contingent
1,421 Posts
I took mine out!!

Done it twice now - much to the practice nurses annoyance! She was like an old school marm! "Oh, you took them out yourself?" "Nope, my pet rat nibbled them out..." <sniff> "And what did you use? Dirty kitchen scissors I take it?" "No, a surgical scalpel." "Oh. I don't suppose it was sterile?" "Yes it was, as it happens." "Hmpt. And how did YOU know?" "Because it came in it's own sterile packet." "Oh. I don't suppose you wore gloves?" "Err, yes. I've a box of the things. Then I cleaned the area thoroughly with Hibiscrub." "Hmm, well it looks allright..." One was in my navel after keyhole surgery, and the others were further down my tummy after a punch biopsy. I found a bath first to soften the skin helped. Then carefully pull so it's taut and gently 'saw' through with very sharp blade. Because I knew how much I could pull before I caused myself pain, it didn't hurt. The doctors don't know my pain levels, and ALWAYS hurt me, yet always carried on regardless. Hence I refuse to let them take stitches out - I do it on the sly!! :)

·
Is fully Mod 1'd up
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ok I'll give it a try tonight but If i pull my arm off cos I dont know my own strength (yeah right) then you lot can pay for my drysuit altering ;)

I have some scalpel blades, so all I'm missing is courage lol :)

Cheers

Adam

·
Ginger, Irish, sometimes stroppy
5,997 Posts
ok I'll give it a try tonight but If i pull my arm off cos I dont know my own strength (yeah right) then you lot can pay for my drysuit altering ;)

I have some scalpel blades, so all I'm missing is courage lol :)

Cheers

Adam
Why bother? Get the practice nurse to do it....better that than us wondering why you have stopped posting cos your arm fell off cos 'someone off YD told you to do it'.

;)

·
Registered
10,736 Posts
YOU NEED 2 HANDS, don't do it yourself you muppet man. And you should have a suture cutter which is curved not a scalpel blade. God above. Get the ruddy practice nurse to do it!!! I'd do it myself if you were in Weymouth. Jeez.

Men. Tut.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
YOU NEED 2 HANDS, don't do it yourself you muppet man. And you should have a suture cutter which is curved not a scalpel blade. God above. Get the ruddy practice nurse to do it!!! I'd do it myself if you were in Weymouth. Jeez.

Men. Tut.
Dont worry he will be shaking to much to do it him self.remember he is from Sheffield the STEEL CITY.(with their two sh**e football teams)
cheers
Mark

1 - 18 of 18 Posts