Imported post

Any YD'ers radio hams ?

Just curious, and bored.....

Andy

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Imported post

Dabbled about in the past with a few mates who are 2m.and HF, stuff. One with whapping great rotator and two element beam in the back yard. Also a bit of CB and SSB stuff.  

·
Registered
99 Posts
Imported post

Actually, I am a licensed ham here in the U.S.  I'm in the no-code tech category, which keeps me on the 2m and 6 m bands.

I've been wondering whether the frequencies that are available for ham use are the same in the UK.  My wife and I have a couple of ICOM IC-8A HT's that I was going to bring over the last time we were in the UK since our cellphones don't work over there but I didnt' want to violate any laws.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>forgive me surely the point of being a ham is that you are unliscenced and are free to listen to the airwaves at will (or i guess maybe not)

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
Imported post

Hi Andy

I used to do a bit years ago, but then the Army provided the training and equipment, and often the time

Regards

Paul

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Imported post

*boring bit * It used to be to become a radio amateur in the UK, you had to take two City & Guilds examinations, if you wanted access to HF ( 0 - 30Mhz ) amateur bands you had to take a morse code test, it's just changed in the UK with different levels of licence and you need to take an exam for each licence.

Re using the hand-helds from the USA in the UK shouldn't be a problem as long as you stick to the UK vhf bandplan ( 144-146Mhz ) the USA goes up a bit higher, 146-148 in the UK are the police frequencies, so don't go transmitting up there when you are in the UK.

Quite like the idea of doing a bit of diving abroad, and passing the surface interval playing radio.....

If anyone fancies a chat on HF anytime drop me a PM.....

Andy

·
currently offshore, please leave a message
1,106 Posts
Imported post

I am due to do my class B licence some time this year

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
Imported post

Not a radio ham but a keen "listener" (although admittedly not to ham radio stuff much).

Owning 3 scanners, 2 HF sets and numerous antennas from dipoles to beams for US fleet sat

·
Registered
89 Posts
Imported post

YEP a "B" licence Holder!! G6YUX

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Imported post

My call is g0sop.

I'm sitting here trying to work out which kidney to ebay to finance purchasing an azimuth rebreather.  

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm looking to pick up a ham radio that will transmit on the 2-meter band. It should have the ability to do phone calls from repeaters and scan channels. I have around 500 to spend on this. What do people think is the best ham radio in this price range?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts