YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

I'm looking for an HID torch and after a little bit of searching, I found that a store in California is now going to start carrying green force torches.  They are selling a 10 w HID with HID50 lighthead.  Anyone have any opinions on these torches?  They look pretty cool but I"ve never seen anyone over here diving with one.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Imported post

I have the 20W arrow 6 and it is very good. I have only used it once so far though. I got the umbilical upgrade for it at christmas.

The HID50 I would estimate would last for about 4 hours on a battery charge.

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
Imported post

I don't have one myself, but I seem to come across more bad comments than good ones. Maybe some of that is down to the suppliers customer service approach.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

I think Gav has, or did have, one; or maybe Fi has it? I don't think they've had problems with them AFAIK

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

I've heard such mixed reviews, I confess I wouldn't buy one - not when there are more consistent products on the market

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>I've used them and like them. I borrowed a mate's HID and it does the job. I think if I were buying a torch now, it'd probably be a greenforce, so many other people I dive with use them and the batteries and heads are all interchangeable.

·
Gone...and probably best forgotten
1,403 Posts
Imported post

I have one, admittedly non HID, and I like it.  never let me down and have had it for a couple of years almost.

·
1,773 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>I've got one and Fi's got one.

The 10w HID lasts for about 5.5 hours.

The 20w HID (100 watt equiv) lasts about 100mins with my F2 battery pack and about an hour on Fi's old arrow battery pack.

I've heard about some people having problems but not me.

The fact that there's no switch upsets some people. To me it's just one less thing to go wrong.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Imported post

Thanks for all the comments.  In terms of price, these lights are a couple hundred dollars cheaper than comparable low cost (relatively speaking) HIDs here in the States, which is why I'm interested.  Plus, with a local supplier, I can just give it to them for repair, service.  So, I may just look into them, particularly if there is one of those new product discounts.

Gavin, I guess I should have checked out your light last September when we were diving with Peter K.

·
Grumbler-chief in Residence
1,969 Posts
Imported post

A little note, I have the LED version of the green force, used a HID head not so long ago, it was bright, very bright. I have had no problems, but, an irritation is mounting the thing. The single battery pack is no issue, the dual is a problem, and, you really need the dual for the HID head. Looked at the Custom divers versioin and this seems much more sensible but a bit bulky. In the end we decided to make our own, based upon the CD style, but with a slightly slimmer / longer battery pack which will allow us to mount it inside the wing on the back plate.

For my money, I would go for the CD torch if I was buying a commercial unit, mainly because of the mounting issues.

Andrew

·
1,773 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>Andy, I know what you mean if you have to old arrow battery packs.

I've got the F2 which goes in a bag on my harness, mounting is easy-peasy.

Ben has had trouble with the CD lamp - it keeps on blowing bulbs and the conectors in the battery area are a bit flaky.

Nice light colour tho'

1 - 11 of 11 Posts