YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

<font color='#FF0000'>Hello, I will be going diving for the first time this coming May, I will be staying in Sharm el Shiek. I have booked a three day fastrack PADI open water course, followed by three days diving. The course is run by Emporer Diving and I will be staying at the Rossetta Hotel. Has anybody any tips/advice they can please pass on?

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Imported post

Hi Pete

I dived with Emporer last year there good I had a few problems with NITROX fills however that’s not going to bother you just starting out..  Just take your time ask lots of questions don’t just do thing because someone else has, if you are unsure just ask.  Don’t under any circumstances get an Italian buddy
 ..  The hotel is ok..  Enjoy the bikini fish and keep a close eye out for the thong fish..  Have a great time one of the best places to learn  

Sean      

·
Registered
616 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>peterb21,
welcome to yd,i would just suggest you get an up to date open water book and read it a few times before you head out to do the course,enjoy it.
cheers
barrie

nb if you cant get a course book locally post on yd and someone will have one,sorry i dont.

·
Small, yet perfectly formed...
3,299 Posts
Imported post

yes peter
defiantely read the PADI open waterwater book and arrive in Sharm knowing the theory . it will save lots of holiday time. Dived with emporer and stayed in the rosetta, both fine but just dived and didnt train with them. Enjoy!
Jules

·
The brains & beauty behind 'Kinky Divers'
1,585 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#8D38C9'>Hi Peter
welcome to the mad house (we're a nice bunch really!)
I have dived a couple of times with Emporer & done a few courses with them, enjoyed every moment.
Now have a really good friend (Denise, one of the instructors) who I visit & dive with when I go back to Egypt & who lives nearby when she's back to visit her folks.

Do your homework before you get out, and enjoy!
The Camel Bar is a great place to meet everyone especially on the night before flights home.

Mashy's does great food (if you want more than McD & Hard Rock junk!)

Blanaid

·
Registered
10 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#FF0000'>Its brilliant over there!!!  Just take your time and go at your pace ask as many questions as you can, however daft you may think they are , weve all been there.  Also take stuff like paracetamol and stuff for a dicky tummy im not trying to tempt fate but they will charge you a fortune over there for them.  Take a taxi ride they are mad!!!!  Most of all have fun but be safe the underwater life is fantastic.
cheers Zubber:)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Hi Peter

I went in May last year to learn with Emperor and also did the fast track thing by reading the manual first and filling out all the Knowledge Review sections to take with me.
Had a fantastic time. Emperor get alot of stick from other dive operators in the area, saying they're too big, they don't treat you well etc, but they were great. My friend who came with me had ear problems, and problems with her contact lenses, and they couldn't have been more patient and understanding.

We had one-to-one tuition and did everything slowly and carefully. I'm told that Padi aren't nearly as good as BSAC, but if you are going to do PADI, I would recommend them from my own experience.

Have fun

Sue

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Sue @ Mar. 12 2004,17:53)]I'm told that Padi aren't nearly as good as BSAC
<font color='#F52887'>there are pros and cons of both but what is important is that you have a good instructor, and always ask if you don't understand, even if you think it's a stupid question  

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
Imported post

Dived with Emperor last year and like other's here, stayed at the Rosetta.  

Thought Emperor were very good and professional (very good at making sure everyone was back on the boat).  They even posted back the stuff we left on the boat....

My Dad took an AOW course with them, he seemed happy with it.

Do your reading beforehand, get out there and enjoy the life-changing experience that is learning to dive!

dan.

·
To dive or not to dive - that's not even an option
2,998 Posts
Imported post

Hi PeterB21

There is no info. on you profile, It's nice to know who/where people are as (hopefully) you'll dive in the UK after getting the bug in Sharm (dive bug, not tummy bug!).

Do as everyone says, it's easy to think it's just like golf and the manual is a wast of time, but then, golf won't drown you, unless it's a realy crap course.

Enjoy yourself and the course, but don't think you can actualy learn to dive in three days, how long was it before you were confident driving on a motorway?, not three days I'll bet.

It may be worth looing up your local BSAC branch or PADI school and see if you can do a couple of try dives before you go? This would give you a great deal of confidence in Sharm and put you at ease.

Have a great time if we don't hear from you till then.

James  

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Hey Peter, Welcome to YD!

I've used Emperor Divers twice and found them to be precisely what you need, just going into bat for the first time. They are patient, systematic and safe!

The Rosetta Hotel is massively convenient for the diving you'll do there: the diving/training pool is 'fall out of bed 10 minutes before' close and when you do you dives in the sea, they ferry you there in their own minibuses. The hotel is also in very quick walking distance from the main drag in Naama Bay (clubs, eateries, banks/ATMs, pubs, the Bazaa etc.) so you couldn't be better situated.

Good luck with the course and come back a diver! See you on one of our trips soon mate.

Cheers,

·
Registered
22 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Greetings,

All sound advice there my friend. Hit the books and then hit them again, try and get in a try-a-dive or 2 afore you go.

You might want to consider getting the basic equipent for yourself: Mask, snorkel and fins.  Don't get conned into spending more than a hundred quid MAX!  Try on-line stores to research the prices, and dare I say it try the handbag net for revues, but go to your LDS and try then  afore you get the folding out.

If you can, take them to the pool and practice finning and snorkeling, even an hour or two will pay dividends.

Don't be afraid to ask any kind of question of us, we're more than glad to help.

Have a good time.

·
iGeek therefore iTrek
3,253 Posts
Imported post

Peter, Welcome and enjoy.

Sue,
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I'm told that Padi aren't nearly as good as BSAC, but if you are going to do PADI, I would recommend them from my own experience.
Careful you'll start holy war with that one...

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
Imported post

Hi Peter and welcome, i hope you have a great time and enjoy the course.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Just updated my personal information, anything else I need to add?
Just where we need to meet you to partake in the NEW Members round of drinks

Dive Safe

Paul

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Imported post

Hiya!

And welcome to the site!

Get out there (after a bit of cramming of the manual!) and just enjoy yourself! You won't learn it all and you won't know it all after you have passed but I'm sure you will have fun trying!!! I've done 80 dives now and I'm still learning and a relative newbie....like it was said previously you will gain more knowledge and experience by continuing to put into practice what you have learnt....

Have fun!!

Scubachick

·
Registered
313 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Ross M @ Mar. 13 2004,17:22)]Try on-line stores to research the prices, and dare I say it try the handbag net for revues, but go to your LDS and try then  afore you get the folding out.

If you can, take them to the pool and practice finning and snorkeling, even an hour or two will pay dividends.
<font color='#0000FF'>Dont knock Divernet too much guys, it might be a bit tiresome on the forums these days but theres a wealth of info elsewhere on the site, especially for a budding diver.

Stu.

http://www.divernet.co.uk

·
C-in-C the Amphibious Contingent
1,421 Posts
Imported post

Tips - Be nice to frogs is a good one!  Seriously, I dived with Emperor and stayed at the Rosetta.  I liked it, and I enjoyed the food.  Breakfast is good, specially for a hungry git like me in the mornings!  The facilities are good, and I found Emperor to be a good outfit and professional.  Dive safely, and also - ENJOY!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts