YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
New Member ? Its the same one i've always had
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In order to become a permenant resident of this dry and dusty land, i must, by government decree no less, leave the country for at least 5 days while a overworked consular official performs the onerous and ridiculously difficult task of placing an ink stamp firmly on my passport!:frown:

With this in mind. SWMBO and i have decided on a 10 day holiday in Bali. to allow this highly trained diplomat to perform his particular brand of beureaucratic voodoo.:) Oh the horror! i hear you all cry!

Anyway, i thought that i might utilise this time to my advantage and get some diving in. So have you been ? if so, have you any hints, tips, do's and don'ts regarding the diving ?

All help gratefully received.

Cheers
Keith

·
For some bizarre reason....
6,296 Posts
I've been to Bali.

Didn't dive.
I remember something about Monkey gods, oh and being very very sick (projectile vomit).
Must've been about 1968, I'd have been about 4.

Is that any help?

Cheers, Paul

·
I provide much-needed sarcasm.
4,099 Posts
Anyway, i thought that i might utilise this time to my advantage and get some diving in. So have you been ? if so, have you any hints, tips, do's and don'ts regarding the diving ?
I went in 1998. I was a bit underwhelmed TBH.
Bali, Indonesia, September 1998

Rental kit was appalling, though they did have women that carried it down to the water's edge on their heads for you.

Jason

·
Tinkering and a plethora of other pursuits...
881 Posts
A bit further north an option? Some of the most biodiverse reef on the planet, I hear...
S.

P.S I was in Freo for a couple of months last summer (so your winter) - cracking place!

·
4,099 Posts
I dived there in 2000 and pretty much had he same experience as Jason, wasn't ill though :D
Hey, it was slimming. The biggest problem I found was that the dive sites are mostly in the north or east and the resorts are all in the south. Nusa Penida and some of the island off shore are supposed to be good, but they'd rather pack you in a minibus and drive you north. Cheaper I guess.

The hassle factor was annoying. You'd walk through the market with two women walking behind you whining about going to their stall. I'm a bloke. I'm genetically programmed to not listen to whining women. And I walked onto the beach every day for 13 days in a row and every single day, the same guy asked me if I wanted to go on a glass bottom boat. Presumably he thought one day I would just change my mind.

Diving wasn't cheap either. It's a lot cheaper in Queensland. And better.

I don't know how it's changed post-bombing. If anything, I would have thought you'd get hassled more.

Jason

·
Registered
13 Posts
Go to Tulamben (north west coast) and dive the Liberty wreck and the drop off which are both excellent dives - seen whale sharks (well once!) and sunfish on the drop off and the wreck is great for fish life. Both dives are directly off the beach and the village ladies carry your gear from the resort and then recover it after the dive - very humbling as you stumble along the pebbly beach in dive boots whilst they skip allong carrying at least two sets of gear on their heads in bare feet...!

Tauch terminal is a great place to stay at Tulamben

Bali Tulamben Dive Resort Scuba Diving Bali Villas Bali Komodo Liveaboard

There are a couple of other dives sites accessible from the resort by fishing boat (10 minute ride) and they'll arrange dives to Nusa Penida (cold, currents, sunfish) if you want.

Other option is Menanjan (sp?) Island (north west corner) which is supposed to be amazing (but I've not been).

Both Tulamben and Menanjan are off the beaten track to an extent (Menajan particularly) so you avoid many of the hassles of Bali mentioned in other posts....having said that, one night in Kuta is a must, if only to watch the drunken Aussies!

·
4,099 Posts
Both Tulamben and Menanjan are off the beaten track to an extent (Menajan particularly) so you avoid many of the hassles of Bali mentioned in other posts....having said that, one night in Kuta is a must, if only to watch the drunken Aussies!
Hmm, Tulamben. Hadn't even got out of my kit after the dive on the beach and they were trying to sell me "I've dived the Tulamben wreck" t-shirts.

Jason

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yes.....but you don't have to buy them! Always found the touts on Tulamben beach pretty half hearted by South East Asian standards.......

If you're staying at Tauch the best best is to use your last 50bar to slowly swim though the coral garden and exit the water directly in front of the resort.

Love staying there because its just so relaxed........fancy a dive at any time of day then wander down to the dive area, gear up and go diving. Rental gear looks good (but always take my own) and they let you pretty much do what you want (depth, air limits, on your own or with buddy) once they've decided you're competent (which will probably freak some out, but I like it!) - the guides are good if you want one. We usually spend 4 - 5 days there then head for the bright lights. Diving Tulamben from other areas of Bali can be a nightmare because its a 2 - 3 hour drive from the main resort areas (Kuta, Sanur, etc.) and you get there just as all the other day trippers arrive. Staying there, just pick your dive times to avoid the busy periods.......

·
New Member ? Its the same one i've always had
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cheers for the replies so far guys.:thumbsup:

I've travelled a bit, so market hassles and touts i can cope with.:) Either ignore them or ask "how much ?, The guy round the corner is selling the same thing for a tenth of the price!"
As i've got to be there for the visa thingy I may as well do some diving ! It can't be as pedestrian as Plymouth's Breakwater fort with 2 inches of viz!:teeth:
Tulamben is somewhere that i've heard of so i might well give that a go!

Anybody else got any advice ?

Keith

·
Registered
18 Posts
When are you going? Think from July or August is the mola mola season, very big chances of seeing them especially during the full moon time. Crystal bay is said to be the best place, i ve seen 4 or 5 in one dive. However, the current was quite strong in crystal bay and it was up/down current.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I love Tulamben, but use two different ops from what has been mentioned. More upscale and diving right from a sandy beach is Scuba Seraya. Always my first choice at Tulamben. My second choice is always Tulamben Wreck Divers.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Never been to the tourist areas, that was not why we went to Bali.

Tulamben is fantastic, pigmy seahorses are probably the thing to look out for, amongst the frog fish and awesome nudibracnches.

Slightly south of there is a place called Suria - it is unbeliveable, max depth 12m, guarentee that you will see something you have never seen before, so long as you have your macro head on.

Pulau Menjangen (Deer Island) has the most amazing corals, the reef above "Ankor Wreck" is simply spectacular.

There were some people trying to make a living selling tat on the beach, and unfortunately due to the Bombings, and the Australian girl being locked up for drugs the number of tourists has dropped and the basic response to this has been to raise prices to fill the gap - it is not as cheap as it should be.

SpiceDivers are an excellent outfit with an English lady married to a local running it, Tulamben Wreck divers run by Aussies, Tauch Terminal is German and the most expensive.

Travel is VERY slow in Bali, best to move around rather than simply dive from one location as you will spend hours back and forwards on the roads. Tulumben for 5 days, then down to Menjangen, then up over the volcano and bathe in a Volcanic Spa with a cold Bintang (star) beer.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Worked for a bit in Bali and loved the diving. The black sand in Tulumben and the liberty wreck are great for photography and you have some amazing drift dives. At the time travel was mainly by land as no large boats were around to cover the areas but not sure now. Highly recommend diving there.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts