YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

Hello, I tried a search on Diving in Greece, but didn't come up with much. Can anyone who's been there (kate?) recommend any locations over there for diving? Me and the missus are both certified, but only to 20m. Thanks

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
Imported post

Greece is a big place.  Ive recently come back from Zakynthos and did 10 dives over there.  Im OD qualified so depth limit of 20m and so on.  

One thing you might want to remember is diving isnt THAT common in some places in greece - their antiquities law means its banned.  Wreck diving and night dives are illegal as a general rule.  Not sure if its true or not but the dive place i went with said >30m diving is also banned.

As a result most of the diving is reef/wall based.  Vis was about 30m or so and water temp around 27c.

If you want to dive there you may want to pick your island carefully to make sure you can dive there.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Imported post

Thanks for the reply. I've not booked the holiday yet, but we did orginally fancy Greece, any other info on European destinations on where is the best place to go there would be good, how about Tenerife, Malta etc?, I've been there on holiday there before and I remember it had good visability. By the way I'm originally from Grimsby, and I work in Belgium at the moment where my club mainly dives murky quarries!

·
Dunno really........ thinking about it
1,585 Posts
Imported post

Dived in Cephalonia from Ag. Ephemia -

Sites are/were restricted but are supposed to be in the process of being eased.
Depth limited by ability, assesed at the time and was not driven by what card was held- some of us went, with guide to 45m, warm, wet and virtually devoid of life.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Imported post

I went diving in Corfu about 5-6 years ago when we took a short break out there.

Nothing too special but it was OK for a potter if you're not hell bent on diving everyday....which I was but wasn't allowed by the other half.

There was a German run outfit on the north east part of the island at Palaeokastritsa (be wary of the spelling) and they were pretty good...got some pretty nice dives in with them.

Water got a bit chilly after storms. As for depths, I think we went to about a 32m max on that trip....it's a long time ago.

Problem I had was that they couldn't be bothered to do more than 2 dives a day....a bit frustrating but there you are. You should check that before you book...

Cheers for now.

kinetic

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Imported post

Like you I'm not able to dive every day!, I have a sun worshipping wife to contend with, still at least she dives as well, but not as keen as me!

·
Registered
413 Posts
Imported post

Chris,

My wife dives too but she's into pottering at depths of 6-12 m and the water has to be crystal clear and warm.....so she doesn't dive much.....with me at any rate.

Is your wife your buddy?

Graham

·
He that is called 'Dundee', from the clan 'Dundee'
1,286 Posts
Imported post

If your destination isnt too fixed,
Have a look at Lanzarote, Calypso divers is a BSAC centre that runs day trips. Good wrecks and lots of life,warm water and angel sharks.

great fun.

C

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Richie(2) @ Sep. 11 2003,12:31)]Dived in Cephalonia from Ag. Ephemia -

Sites are/were restricted but are supposed to be in the process of being eased.
Depth limited by ability, assesed at the time and was not driven by what card was held- some of us went, with guide to 45m, warm, wet and virtually devoid of life.
Kefalonia and Zakynthos (the main ionian islands) allow diving.  Not sure about Corfu.

I think its more restricted on some aegean (sp!) islands.

"Sites are/were restricted but are supposed to be in the process of being eased."

I think from what i can gather is previous to the last few years all dive schools had to have a greek guide.  This was changed to just a guide licenced by the greeks.  From next year i think they're on about legalising wreck dives for wrecks <100 years old so its getting better but slowly.

I wasnt sure about the 30m depth thing, sounded a bit odd to me and i suspect the dive school made that rule up.

My experience was different to your in that experience was irrelevent and the C card decided what group/dives were possibly entirely.

Ive heard off other people that area of the med is pretty barren as far as life is concerned through over fishing although never having experienced anywhere else i cant comment as nothing to compare it to.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Imported post

I'll check out Lanzarote! My wife is my buddy at the moment, I belong to the SHAPE Sub Aqua Club in Belgium where I dive with several members of my club. For the missus she's only happy at going to 20m, not that depth should mean anything of course!

So long as the water's reasonably warm she'll be happy.
Cheers!

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Imported post

My Five cents worth,

Dived Crete and Corfu, echo the descriptions of the diving already given, superb vis , warm water but in the main little to see.  Preferred the dive Centre used in Corfu based at Kassiopi  e mail  [email protected] found that friendly and flexible.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Imported post

i've dived with calypso divers at agios geodios (dodgy spelling) in corfu a couple of years back, did some great dives, max 45m, i believe the maximum official depth in greece is 30m and you must dive with a government licensed dive center, but i could be wrong.
i did one dive, just me and a dive guide on a ww2 minesweeper that had been blown to smithereens, we went down to 45m where the bigger bits of the wreck are, then came up to 6-8m and spent the decompression time exploring a cave, we went that far in to it that the water changed from salt to fresh, it was a truely outstanding dive and i can heartily recommend calypso to go to, they've plenty of 20m scenic stuff too check out their website

http://www.divingcorfu.com/index2.htm

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Thanks for everyone's replies, keep them coming if anyone else has any more good holiday diving destinations!

Chris.

·
That's Dude with an E
12,959 Posts
Imported post

Wifee wanted to go a one of the greek islands this year, but l'd heard that the diving was better in Malta so we went to Malta and dived with divedeepblue l would highly reccomend them.

Earlier on in the year we went to tenerife and dived with Michael (Scuba 1) and Rebecca (Moray) South Coast Divers who were great company and the diving was good as well.

We're going to Rhodes in October, but l doubt l'll be diving, unless someone posts about good dive sites/operators in Rhodes.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Apparently diving in Greece in general has already been eased, I believe it happened this summer.
Stay away from Naxos, though, where scuba diving is forbidden.

From what I've been told the best divesite in Greece is Antiparos. It's the island right next to Paros.

Regards,

Kyrre

·
Registered
599 Posts
Imported post

I had a week away in Thassos in late August there is no diving allowed there are no diving clubs or schools on Thassos

nigel

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Norseman @ Sep. 12 2003,01:45)]Apparently diving in Greece in general has already been eased, I believe it happened this summer.
Kyrre
I may be wrong, Kyrre, but I think it's only a proposal so far. I don't think the legislation has been passed yet. I did a web search a few weeks ago and found lots of sites that talked about the proposed relaxation but none of them seemed to know which new areas/islands it involved.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>I stand corrected.

Nevertheless diving in Antiparos should be good since it's already legal  

A place I'd like to work indeed...

Kyrre

·
Registered
381 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>I splashed at Zykinthos (Zante) about 8 years ago and from what I can remember, there were a couple of schools / dive operations there.

Having said that, the one that I dived with (an English run one), I heard, had closed down a couple of years later.

·
Registered
9,720 Posts
Imported post

hi there mate!! i did quite a bit of diving on the north coast of crete last year it was absolutely ace!!!! there are quite a few nice dive sites within a 30 mile stretch of the coastline 1 of those sites is a little place called st georges caves of the coast of hersonissos and the place i like the most is either paxamadia which is a little rock that juts out of the water approx 10 miles north of gouves which is next door to hersonissos and the big island there that is also great for diving and done approx 5 times is nissos dia island which is teaming with buitifull aquitic life.also there is some quite nice underwater walls that are real nice but do drop away to blackness although you wont have a problem with with your depth limit at 18 metres much much to see as for st georges there are loads of octopus and teams with fish when i was there heres a link to a good place who does good boat trips best wishes leigh BIG BLUE DIVE,GOUVES

1 - 20 of 20 Posts