YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Hiya All,

I've just booked a two week holiday to Grenada and Carriacou, has anyone dived there and if so, can you recommend a good dive centre to go with? Good dive sites etc. We're going to be renting most of the gear, whats the quality of the gear like?

Any information gladly received.

Cheers, sproz

·
Registered
223 Posts
Imported post

Hi Sproz,

I know this thread is quite old, but I too am about to book a holiday to Grenada and wondered if you've been yet or if you got anywhere on the advice front??

I've had a dive school highly recommended to me (called Scuba Express) but I can't seem to find contact details and think it may have shut down or changed name.  I wanted to try to get accommodation at the Blue Bay resort as it's a bit away from the typical touristy bits.

Lesley

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Imported post

We're booked in at True Blue Bay Resort and fly in four weeks

I've booked some diving with Aquanauts as they are based at our resort, we're also going to Carriacou for a couple of days and plan on doing some diving there as well.

The True Blue Bay Resort does look really nice as it is away on its own yet only a 5/10 minute taxi ride to St George and Grand Anse.

I'll let you know how we get on when we come back.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (sprozman @ Aug. 18 2003,13:01)]We're booked in at True Blue Bay Resort and fly in four weeks

I've booked some diving with Aquanauts as they are based at our resort, we're also going to Carriacou for a couple of days and plan on doing some diving there as well.

The True Blue Bay Resort does look really nice as it is away on its own yet only a 5/10 minute taxi ride to St George and Grand Anse.

I'll let you know how we get on when we come back.
Thanks Sproz - that's exactly the package I'm currently looking at for November (Aquanauts and True Blue Bay).  Let me know how it goes - I might have something booked before you get back but if you find it truly awful, I could change my booking!

And you must dive the Bianca C as it's supposed to be amazing!

Thanks,
Lesley

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (LesleySS @ Aug. 18 2003,16:11)]And you must dive the Bianca C as it's supposed to be amazing!
Yup, that is one dive i won't be missing! Can't wait, I get back 25/09 so I'll let you know how it all goes when I get back.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Imported post

hi
Ive been to Grenada twice stayed at the rex grenadian and dived with the outfit there called scubaworld as i recall.Diving was good by carribean standards although not meant to be as good as Tobago.Bianca-c is a good dive if only for her size biggest in the carribean but i must say that there wasnt too much fish life to be seen around her.the dive profile we did was head first swimming descent to 39 meters the swimming pool then 17 minutes bottom time before heading back up,200 bar 12 ltr cylinders no nitrox was available when i was there.Moullinere reef was worthwhile,whilst King Mitch was superb wreck loads of nurse sharks and barracuda.Another reef on atlantic side was called shark reef ,drift dive with turtles but no sharks.Give me an e mail if you want any more info about the place.
                             Nikk

·
Registered
5,271 Posts
Imported post

Nikk, you must have been really unlucky when you did the Bianca C. When I did it we saw Barracuda, reef sharks, spotted eagle rays, turtles amd masses of other fish, especially round the smoke stack. Also did another wreck called shark wreck, which was just where the carribian and the atlantic meet, it's a small cargo boat, and it was crawling with well over 50 nurse sharks, from little babies to 10 foot monsters -very exiciting. We stayed at La Source (Bianca C is a 2 min rib ride away), 14 days, 2 dives a day (did the Bianca C 3 times!) all for free as it was included in the price!!

·
Registered
223 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Darren A @ Aug. 19 2003,09:12)]Nikk, you must have been really unlucky when you did the Bianca C. When I did it we saw Barracuda, reef sharks, spotted eagle rays, turtles amd masses of other fish, especially round the smoke stack. Also did another wreck called shark wreck, which was just where the carribian and the atlantic meet, it's a small cargo boat, and it was crawling with well over 50 nurse sharks, from little babies to 10 foot monsters -very exiciting. We stayed at La Source (Bianca C is a 2 min rib ride away), 14 days, 2 dives a day (did the Bianca C 3 times!) all for free as it was included in the price!!
What was La Source like as a place to stay?  Would you recommend it?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Imported post

Hi
If you do a search in the bsac travel section there is a report from someone who stayed there,its only five minutes from the rex a bit too close to the airport was the only bad word i heard about it,other than that it seems to be the place!Ive dived bianca -c three times also  i dont find it a bad dive just noted a general lack of fish life..Shark wreck yes did that also only about ten Nurses on it with me plenty lobsters ..not sure you could fit 50 on it!I love the island and will go back  Blackpool it isnt aka Barbados,its how the carribean should be IMHO.
Ps  i would reccomend a restaraunt called the Aquarium its halfway  from the rex and La source top food nice place and people the prawns dipped in coconut  are the best ive tasted
  You will have a great trip  enjoy
                                      Nikk

·
Registered
5,271 Posts
Imported post

Lesley, La Source was stunning, service was excellent, food was first class (hope none of my mates read this next bit!
) beauty treatments were fab, had my first facial here and it was soo relaxing I fell asleep. Also included are massages, body wraps, salt scrubs and loadsa other stuff I can't remember. The airport is close, but that was a good thing as it was only a 5 min transfer - by stretch limo of course (free as well!). If I remember correctly, when we stayed there there was only the one flight a week from the UK, so noise wasn't a problem. Would throughly recommend it!! Only downside was the cost
. I also heard a rumour that they were going to make the diving an extra the year after we were there
, so that's definatley worth checking.

Nikk - re Shark Wreck, they weren't ALL on the wreck
, they were off it as well. They formed circles, nose to tail, and just kept going round, fabulous to see, especially from above as we descended onto the wreck. One word of warning, the first time we tried to dive it the tides were wrong, and the current was absolutley ripping, everyone got separated, and there were a few anxious moments on the surface when we came up and couldn't see the boat - 1 SMB between about 10 divers - mmmmm not good! The second time, we dived at slack, flopped over the side and there 10 feet below us was an enormous spotted eagle ray, which kept us company on the descent - can remember it as if it were yesterday.

Would also recommend the Aquarium (if you can drag yourself away from the first class free resteraunt at the resort!) top quality nosh!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts