YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
A Big Member
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Hi everyone

After a massively expensive year last year (1 maldives trip, 1 red sea trip and a complete set of kit for the mrs.) we are looking to go a little bit closer to home for our summer hols (will probably still end up in the RS later on!) has anyone here dived in Menorca, i haved heard they have some good easily accessible caves, all info will be greatly appreciated

cheers

paul

·
Gone...and probably best forgotten
1,403 Posts
Imported post

hello arty.  I will have dived there come next september, but there is an article on menorca in this months Diver mag.

·
A Big Member
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Imported post

andy

in that case i should be able to tell you all about it, i'm aiming to go in July/August

Paul

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

According to folk on Divernet, the following two dive centres are both excellent. They both do Cavern Diver courses.
http://www.crystalseas-scuba.com
http;//www.salgardiving.com

·
1,403 Posts
Imported post

i have contacted crystal seas last week for the diving i wanna do over there.

·
Banned
1,793 Posts
Imported post

Haven't been there - but when discussing Tenerife v's Fuerteventura and Lanzarote with a couple who'd been there, they said Menorca was the best of the lot.  They also said it was more expensive...

2nd hand info I'm afraid, but if you're already going then might make you feel better...

·
1,403 Posts
Imported post

btw arty, drystal seas have an off er on at the mo.  if you book before the end of jan you get 8 dives for the price of 6.  short notice i know but there you have it.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Imported post

Crystal seas, good choice

Dived with them for two years, great people, diving etc.
Good resort a little quiet but good.

Diving from 10 - 100m diving for everyone.

·
A Big Member
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Imported post

Thanks Guys

I've had a look at crystal seas website, they look very professional.

Andy where are you going to stay?

Simon where did you stay?

Its only me and the missus so a rented villa is out of the question

cheers

paul

·
Registered
102 Posts
Imported post

First time we went end of feb, because of the shop i own, we stayed in one of their appartments in calan'n'bosh.
Then we were out in sept last year, got a cheap deal with JMC half board £200 for one week, stayed at the valinten star, a stones throw from the center.

When you thinking of going?

Simon

·
A Big Member
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Imported post

I recon about july/ August

·
apparently diving is fun!
104 Posts
Imported post

I haved dived menorca very regular over the last few years. I've dived with both Crystal sea and S'Algar and both can be recomended. I often take dive students out during the low season, realy cheap and warmer! It is a family island, very quiet and beautiful. Take time to explore both land and sea. My kids love it too.

From a dive point of view, if you get time check out a couple of dives at both ends of the island at least. If you want more info on sites etc. just drop me a line.

I've got just a couple of pictures on a web page at:
www.alloutdoors.ac/menorca_1.htm

·
Creature of the night
14,183 Posts
Imported post

Hi Arty,

I can echo the above with regard to crystal sea's  in cala'n'bosch I found them to be very professional.

Safe diving,
Steve.

·
Respected Wreck-diving Author & Resident Farnes Ex
666 Posts
Imported post

Hi Arty
Over the past 25 years or so I have done around 100-dives around Menorca. It has by far, some of the best diving in the Med., ranging from steep underwater cliffs and ledges holding genuine Red-coral, lots of crayfish or spiny lobsters near Arenal Castell, cave lobsters, which resemble a woodlouse, plenty of large fish like grouper, providing you know where to look and submerged Roman harbours, (although the latter is forbidden). However, the jewel in the crown is the giant interlinking underwater sea caves that can be found at Puntagil near Ciudadela at the north western corner, at Cap Den Font in the south, Salgar in the southeast and the giant underwater grotto at Cala Morts in the north and these are just a few I can mention. There are some where you can actually climb out of the water inside the caves and walk around, amid lots of stalagmites and stalactites, while others, like those at Salgar, have interlinking chimneys between the caves, which come right up to the surface like potholes and act as blow holes when the sea is rough.
Enjoy it, I’m sure you will go back, providing the Dive Club will take you to some of them. Unfortunately I cannot recommend any particular dive-outfit, because we used to dive without one, having English friends who were lucky enough to live at Calan Porta.

Cheers Ron

·
Respected Wreck-diving Author & Resident Farnes Ex
666 Posts
Imported post

Hi  Paul
Don't know why my last post failed, but here it is again.
When you visit the island, ask the guys at the Dive school to take you to the fabulous cave system at Puntagil at the western corner past Ciudadela. There are interlinking caves so big that you can swim up 35ft and climb out into fresh air where there are stalagmites and stalactites. Right inside and at the far end (200m) there is a beach where you can swim ashore and wonder round with your gear off.
At Salgar at the SE corner of the island, there is a set of caves that begin at about 24m and come up in a series of chimneys, ending at a pothole on the surface where you can leave the water and come ashore. During storms it causes huge water geysers.
At the southern side at Cap Den Font there are huge 10m high caves that join up inside, where you can find cave lobsters that resemble the woodlouse, Access to the sea is by jumping down into the sea from the rocks, however you can leave a little further along.
At the northern side of the island at Calamorts, there is a fabulous giant underwater grotto 10-12m high with lots of smaller caves running off, which is well worth a visit, while further along near Arenal Castell there are steep 100ft drop offs with lots of spiny lobsters under the ledges and some big grouper. Those are just a few, because there are systems all around the island, plus underwater sunken Roman harbours.
Menorca is argueably the best diving in the Med, but you need to know where to go.

Cheers Ron

·
A Big Member
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Imported post

Thanks everyone

it sounds fantastic, i shall be booking fairly soon

has anyone done courses with crystal seas, i quite fancy TDI/IANTD nitrox & Advanced nitrox

cheers

paul

1 - 16 of 16 Posts