YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

All
Booked the family holiday in Turkey, and wanted to try and get at least a day's diving in while I'm there.
I'll be staying in the resort of Side, and wondered if any of you guys and gals had stayed/dived there and could give me some info on who to contact etc.
Thanks in advance, and safe diving
Martin

·
The Artist formerly known as 'Kirky'
2,228 Posts
Imported post

Try european diving centre (ads in Diver mag). I have dived with them out of Icmeler and they were great - well organised and safety conscious.

If you want any info on dive sites email me offline. Sorry - dont know where Side is in relation to Icmeler but the terrein should be the same - ish

·
Banned
1,793 Posts
Imported post

Dived there off a boat about 5 years ago - can't remember who with.  Crew quite cavalier - kit on and straight into a 48m dive!

Vis was excellent
Water (summertime) quite warm
Fish life limited where I was
Reef life pretty dead, although lots of amphorae and other artifacts knocking about - with the odd octopus
Can't remember cost

I would do it again, if only to get away from the family!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Imported post

As Kirky says EDC are very good ( I worked for 'em!) and very safe - unlike some outfits I could mention though neither of their main sites are particularly near Side so thats not a lot of help I guess.

Dont expect to see a great deal of marine life - topography is either rocky or grass on sand. Vis should be excellent - we would have 30m easy around Fethiye and warm in summer - shorty will be fine between June and September/3 or 5mm max otherwise. Your best bet sealife wise will be moray eels, octopus, small fish of assorted variety though you might see some fairly large grouper or schools of barracuda if you're lucky. Watch out for dolphins and turtles esp on the boat journey.

I 'think' Kas & Kalkan are fairly near you - there is a centre called BT Diving in Kas and there is a WW2 fighter there though it's around the 45-50m mark I think. Never dived with them though they have had write ups in Diver mag.

Have fun
Paul

1 - 5 of 5 Posts