YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

<font color='#810541'>I heard there are these kyacks available that have space for two people and all scuba gear. Anyone seen or tried these or dived off any type of kyack before?

In Bermuda, it would be easy to do some shallow dives from one, once you tied it to a mooring. But, wanted to know what general opnions are there about doing so....

Thanks

Lisa

·
Registered
609 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>I saw a discussion on that. There's even a web-site though I can't find it at present.

Think it was with some Newfies or Northeast US. They also did a PADI course?!!!

Try googeling about a bit.

Kyrre

·
Membership Cancelled
980 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (lizardfish @ Sep. 25 2003,03:14)]I heard there are these kyacks available that have space for two people and all scuba gear. Anyone seen or tried these or dived off any type of kyack before?

In Bermuda, it would be easy to do some shallow dives from one, once you tied it to a mooring. But, wanted to know what general opnions are there about doing so....

Thanks

Lisa
<font color='#8D38C9'>Have dived in various caves in Florida using a kayak to get there.  One dive was offshore with no mooring (apart from using an anchor) - the kayak capsized dumping all our gear on the sea bed - fortunately it was only chest deep water.

Duncan

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Norseman @ Sep. 25 2003,09:01)]They also did a PADI course?!!!
The new PADI 'Diving from a Kyack' Speciality!! FFS, I've heard it all now. This to go with their new 'Extreme Philately' and 'Rebuilding the Realtionship with your Children' speciality courses??  

All bow to the 'Machine'!

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

A mate of mine who's kyack mad and myself discussed this some time ago, getting in and out makes it unworkable, however what is workable (he's already done this) is to pack your dive kit into a spare kyack and tow it to remote shore sites to get away from the maddening crowds.
Steve

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Steve W @ Sep. 25 2003,10:29)]A mate of mine who's kyack mad and myself discussed this some time ago, getting in and out makes it unworkable, however what is workable (he's already done this) is to pack your dive kit into a spare kyack and tow it to remote shore sites to get away from the maddening crowds.
Steve
I have wonderd about wet bikes, but as you have to wot, might as well have a small rib.

Adrian

·
old time
6,658 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#FF7F00'>Hi there,

There is a shop in Dover that has sold 2 DIVING KAYAKS to 2 of my mates , i think they paid aroound the £ 350 mark......

They are polyplastic, one red and one yellow.

You kit up defore the dive, placing your dive kit in a little well which forms the back rest as you paddle along,,,,,,,,, when ready to dive , you clip your paddle in clips provived,,,attacted the reel from the bow to your kit,,,, whilst sitting, you get on your BC, when ready to dive you can either roll over the side or capsize.

Whilst diving ,,,,,,,, you tow the kayak along with you as this acts as an SMB.... has diver below writting on the bottom of the hull,,, and also a dive ' A ' flag on the stern which always points up , no matter which way the kayak is lying.

They have taken these kayaks and used them in ireland and plymouth,,,and rate them highly.....

If you want more details i can find out more for you , and e:mail you off line if you want ....

Andy

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Imported post

<font color='#810541'>Thanks for helping me everyone. That website has a lot of info and pics on it so very useful, thanks Tom.

Looks like we could just get a normal kyacks and strap dive kit to them, but will investigate how much a DIVE kyack would cost to ship here etc. I suspect that I will be paying twice the price here for the kyack, which Andy says costs 350 pounds.

Andy, do you know what the name of the kyack was? The company that makes them?

Lisa

·
Mark W
4,887 Posts
Imported post

I was quite interested in your line of query as I'm sure I've seen someone off scarborough in a dive kayak while driving round North Bay one afternoon, so I was intrigued to see if they were available.

I found that http://www.watersportswarehouse.co.uk/ do the ones which were shown on the Kayak diving website.

Mark.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Imported post

For some time I've been tempted to give it try.  The idea of a low cost convenient option for extending my range from the shore to get out to a wreck or a reef is appealing.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Imported post

When myself and the other half went to Palau the second time round we took an outrigger (a kyack with a stabiliser thing) and we went off round the rock islands for 3 days/2nights and we dived off that...it was stable enough to get in and out of, because of the side thing that stablised it (lol). We just tied the boat off to a rock on the seabed....used a compass and got back quite nicely....wouldn't bother doing it again...i was bored as hell when not diving.

The dive shop boat would drop tanks off on a predetermined island each morning, we'd leave our empties and arse around on our own.

It was like being a kid again...no booze and a little adventure...couldn't wait to get back to the mainland a nd have a pint.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts