YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Proven ability to roll with it.
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have so ner ner.

Seriously though. I've got one that I'm "restoring" for my son but it's missing the front crank and I have no idea how the Sturmey Archers gear work.

Does anyone have any bits lying around?

This isn't it obviously but I don't think he appreciates how cool these are!

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,904 Posts
No ...... but I know a rude and yet simple joke about little Johny in the bath with his mother and being hit with a tomahawk! :):):)

·
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I seem to be able to get it to engage a gear and stay in that gear but for the life of me I can't figure out the shifting mechanism.

From my yoof I dimly remember a piece of chain that used to (seemingly) disappear inside the hub. This has rusted through.

·
All hail the mighty ZOM
26,665 Posts
A bit o chain will go through the end of one side of the hub (usually the right hand side). If it's off then you're stuck in 3rd (top) gear. Pull the chain a bit and it switches to 2nd, a bit further and it drops into 1st. Made riding home a bugger if it went on the park.

Round here (where they were made) you went:

Chipper- Tomahawk - Chopper

or

Budgie - Commando - Grifter

or

Arena - Arena GTX.

·
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What does the chain connect to?

I'm on the look out for a Strika :D as well.

·
Exiled in Scotland...
6,245 Posts
I'm on the look out for a Strika :D as well.
These were great. My cousin had one and could do major skids on it...

I used to have a Tomahawk when I was a young lad. Great for wheelies. I had a stretch armstrong too but one day I took him for a ride on my Tomahawk and his heals rubbed against the wheels and he bleed to death :(

Wish I had kept my Evil Kinevil too :frown:

Anyone remember those robot vehicals with 6 wheels which you could program which directions then set off?

Dave C

·
Make mine a Pan-Galactic Gargle Blaster.
1,643 Posts
Ah, but does anyone else remember the little flip up cover on the hubs where you filled them up with oil? :)

There are incidentally some really good hub gear systems being made now, up to nine speed I believe (a company called Rohloff, or something similar).

I cycled from Birmingham to Portsmouth over three days in my youth, disdaining gears, I did it on a single speed fixed wheel (as long as the back wheel turned, so did the pedals). Fast downhills were interesting!

·
Silent Knight
1,849 Posts
Anyone remember those robot vehicals with 6 wheels which you could program which directions then set off?

Dave C
You mean one of these .... Big Trak

They were great for knocking your parents Xmas drinks over with or making a mountain out of peanuts and driving 'off-road' over them !!! ;)

Graham

Reactions: Dave Crampton

·
Registered
586 Posts
A bit o chain will go through the end of one side of the hub (usually the right hand side). If it's off then you're stuck in 3rd (top) gear. Pull the chain a bit and it switches to 2nd, a bit further and it drops into 1st. Made riding home a bugger if it went on the park.

Round here (where they were made) you went:

Chipper- Tomahawk - Chopper

or

Budgie - Commando - Grifter

or

Arena - Arena GTX.

Oh the memorys of the grifter my best ever xmass present ever and
with just finished watching grease it's all too much

·
Creature of the night
14,153 Posts
Nah, went straight for the Chopper (1973 I think). Amount of times I smashed my nadgers on that gear knob!! :frown:
likewise :eek: apparently the new chopper doesn't have one, how are the yuuff of today learn how to ride properly? ;)

Safe diving,
Steve

·
Just A Diver - Nothing Special
478 Posts
my brain must be addled

or i was diddled out of some street cred in my youf.

my tomahawk never had gears

Nick

·
Registered
9,713 Posts
god its ages since ive seen a tomahawk ! and they had similar gears to the chopper with the chain into the back axle ! in turn attached to the gear cable!

and yes i do rember the oil fill pots on the hubs !

i never had a tomahawk i had a chopper and a grifter ! then follwed by a diamond back bmx ! god a miss spent youth lol!

as for bits im sure that a local raleigh shop will be either able to help u out or point u in the rite direction!! :teeth:

·
Registered
9,713 Posts
I have so ner ner.

Seriously though. I've got one that I'm "restoring" for my son but it's missing the front crank and I have no idea how the Sturmey Archers gear work.

Does anyone have any bits lying around?

This isn't it obviously but I don't think he appreciates how cool these are!
he looks well with the bike mate ! but uve got to put him a bullwhip ariel on it lol

it just looks so bare lol!! only kidding! seriously get in touch with your local raliegh shop should u need bits

best wishes leigh

·
Just A Diver - Nothing Special
478 Posts
Mmmmm. looks like mine was an earlier model - no gears on mine. they had them later on apparently.

·
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The Tomahawk Formula was a special edition. Not all had gears.

Unfortunately that's now his bike. His has a little more "character"

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.