YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Proven ability to roll with it.
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have so ner ner.

Seriously though. I've got one that I'm "restoring" for my son but it's missing the front crank and I have no idea how the Sturmey Archers gear work.

Does anyone have any bits lying around?

This isn't it obviously but I don't think he appreciates how cool these are!

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
No ...... but I know a rude and yet simple joke about little Johny in the bath with his mother and being hit with a tomahawk! :):):)

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
sturmey archer gears don't work, they are supposed to be either stuck in first or third or just spin in freewheel mode all the time. Well thats what every bike with them on I have owned has done :D

J.

·
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I seem to be able to get it to engage a gear and stay in that gear but for the life of me I can't figure out the shifting mechanism.

From my yoof I dimly remember a piece of chain that used to (seemingly) disappear inside the hub. This has rusted through.

·
All hail the mighty ZOM
26,851 Posts
A bit o chain will go through the end of one side of the hub (usually the right hand side). If it's off then you're stuck in 3rd (top) gear. Pull the chain a bit and it switches to 2nd, a bit further and it drops into 1st. Made riding home a bugger if it went on the park.

Round here (where they were made) you went:

Chipper- Tomahawk - Chopper

or

Budgie - Commando - Grifter

or

Arena - Arena GTX.

·
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What does the chain connect to?

I'm on the look out for a Strika :D as well.

·
This is my happy face!!
2,640 Posts

or

or

Arena - Arena GTX.
Nah, went straight for the Chopper (1973 I think). Amount of times I smashed my nadgers on that gear knob!! :frown:

·
Exiled in Scotland...
6,286 Posts
I'm on the look out for a Strika :D as well.
These were great. My cousin had one and could do major skids on it...

I used to have a Tomahawk when I was a young lad. Great for wheelies. I had a stretch armstrong too but one day I took him for a ride on my Tomahawk and his heals rubbed against the wheels and he bleed to death :(

Wish I had kept my Evil Kinevil too :frown:

Anyone remember those robot vehicals with 6 wheels which you could program which directions then set off?

Dave C

·
Make mine a Pan-Galactic Gargle Blaster.
1,763 Posts
Ah, but does anyone else remember the little flip up cover on the hubs where you filled them up with oil? :)

There are incidentally some really good hub gear systems being made now, up to nine speed I believe (a company called Rohloff, or something similar).

I cycled from Birmingham to Portsmouth over three days in my youth, disdaining gears, I did it on a single speed fixed wheel (as long as the back wheel turned, so did the pedals). Fast downhills were interesting!

·
Silent Knight
1,849 Posts
Anyone remember those robot vehicals with 6 wheels which you could program which directions then set off?

Dave C
You mean one of these .... Big Trak

They were great for knocking your parents Xmas drinks over with or making a mountain out of peanuts and driving 'off-road' over them !!! ;)

Graham

Reactions: Dave Crampton

·
Registered
588 Posts
A bit o chain will go through the end of one side of the hub (usually the right hand side). If it's off then you're stuck in 3rd (top) gear. Pull the chain a bit and it switches to 2nd, a bit further and it drops into 1st. Made riding home a bugger if it went on the park.

or

or

Arena - Arena GTX.

Oh the memorys of the grifter my best ever xmass present ever and
with just finished watching grease it's all too much

·
Creature of the night
14,183 Posts
Nah, went straight for the Chopper (1973 I think). Amount of times I smashed my nadgers on that gear knob!! :frown:
likewise :eek: apparently the new chopper doesn't have one, how are the yuuff of today learn how to ride properly? ;)

Safe diving,
Steve

·
Just A Diver - Nothing Special
478 Posts
my brain must be addled

or i was diddled out of some street cred in my youf.

my tomahawk never had gears

Nick

·
Registered
9,720 Posts
god its ages since ive seen a tomahawk ! and they had similar gears to the chopper with the chain into the back axle ! in turn attached to the gear cable!

and yes i do rember the oil fill pots on the hubs !

i never had a tomahawk i had a chopper and a grifter ! then follwed by a diamond back bmx ! god a miss spent youth lol!

as for bits im sure that a local raleigh shop will be either able to help u out or point u in the rite direction!! :teeth:

·
Registered
9,720 Posts
I have so ner ner.

Seriously though. I've got one that I'm "restoring" for my son but it's missing the front crank and I have no idea how the Sturmey Archers gear work.

Does anyone have any bits lying around?

This isn't it obviously but I don't think he appreciates how cool these are!
he looks well with the bike mate ! but uve got to put him a bullwhip ariel on it lol

it just looks so bare lol!! only kidding! seriously get in touch with your local raliegh shop should u need bits

best wishes leigh

·
Just A Diver - Nothing Special
478 Posts
Mmmmm. looks like mine was an earlier model - no gears on mine. they had them later on apparently.

·
Registered
9,720 Posts
You mean one of these .... Big Trak

They were great for knocking your parents Xmas drinks over with or making a mountain out of peanuts and driving 'off-road' over them !!! ;)

Graham

graham now ur showing your age lol! whats even worse is i had a big trak
i was the envy of the street ! :teeth:

·
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The Tomahawk Formula was a special edition. Not all had gears.

Unfortunately that's now his bike. His has a little more "character"

1 - 20 of 42 Posts