YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

· Silent Knight
1,849 Posts
graham now ur showing your age lol! whats even worse is i had a big trak
i was the envy of the street ! :teeth:
:embarassed::embarassed: 36 years young, Sunday just gone

Anyone remember having an Eagle Eyes Action Man ? I also remember losing the bionics out of the arms of my Six Million Dollar Man in the back of the family Cortina :angry: LOL !!!

Graham

· Registered
9,713 Posts

Anyone remember having an Eagle Eyes Action Man ? I also remember losing the bionics out of the arms of my Six Million Dollar Man in the back of the family Cortina :angry: LOL !!!

Graham

yes i had eagle eye action man ! woo hoo great toys mate ! although i did break the little tab to move its eyes off by accident ! well the kid next door said his action man was tougher than mine so i said well be better see then ! his lost but mine had war wounds lol!!

· Sub-optimal DIR wannabe
1,038 Posts
I had a Strika, smaller version of a Grifter IIRC.
The best bit was the back pedal brake thing so you lent it to your mate who then promptly fell off. Which always raised a smile (on me)

1,038 Posts

Graham

We were going through the Action Man catalogue online in the office the other day (it was a quiet Friday). And I have to say I don't see me buying my son any of the frankly girly options available today!

Real action man had guns and knives and proper boys toys.

Vintage Catalogues

Some of the new stuff is camper than a row of tents.

I can't decide if owning the action man diver kit is responsible for my diving interests or my rubber fetish :teeth: :teeth: :teeth:

· Exiled in Scotland...
6,245 Posts
We were going through the Action Man catalogue online in the office the other day (it was a quiet Friday). And I have to say I don't see me buying my son any of the frankly girly options available today!

Real action man had guns and knives and proper boys toys.

Vintage Catalogues

Some of the new stuff is camper than a row of tents.

I can't decide if owning the action man diver kit is responsible for my diving interests or my rubber fetish :teeth: :teeth: :teeth:
:D :D

I too remember Action man with Eagle eyes. I even remember pre eagle eyes. They had full working joints, and I also had the frogman suit. He had an old twinhose set with nu BCD :D

I saw my nephew's actionman at the weekend, and the quality is rubbish. His arms and legs are only movable at the hips and sholders. The seet at rubbish and he wears Cat Boots not Combat High. I had the old on with the SLR which always lost the end of the barrel, broke off :(

I also had a Tomahawk, with no Gears!

· Proven ability to roll with it.
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I'm pretty sure I even had a Waffen SS uniform for my action man.

I certainly had a German guard post complete with check point and doberman style dog.

Also AM Scorpion tank that was strong enough to actually sit on yourself. We used to take turn riding down the slope at Bognor seafront.

There was also another company that made vehicles for AM - we had their scout car it it was visrtually indesructable.

· Registered
3,278 Posts
Wow, blasts from the past. I had a Grifter, gears never worked and I still have an aversion to twist shifters! Weighed a ton. Broke my collar bone on it.

The Chopper! Impossible to get up hills on it. First bike I ever crashed into a moving car - an Austin Allegro. Brakes were crap, glad it wasn't mine :)

dan

· This is my happy face!!
2,629 Posts
:D :D

I too remember Action man with Eagle eyes. I even remember pre eagle eyes. They had full working joints, and I also had the frogman suit. He had an old twinhose set with nu BCD :D

I saw my nephew's actionman at the weekend, and the quality is rubbish. His arms and legs are only movable at the hips and sholders. The seet at rubbish and he wears Cat Boots not Combat High. I had the old on with the SLR which always lost the end of the barrel, broke off :(

I also had a Tomahawk, with no Gears!
I can predate that even! I had about 4 Action Men in the sixties. All the uniforms were 2nd WW. Nothing as modern as an SLR - Stens, Schmeisers etc.

I also had the orange diver's set. God, I wish I'd kept them. Be worth a fortune. :frown:

· Evil! Like Black Play Doh
348 Posts
I've got a tear.........

....... in my eye just reading all of this.

The best bit was the back pedal brake thing so you lent it to your mate who then promptly fell off. Which always raised a smile (on me)
Completely forgotten this.

The cure for the Grifter gears was to kick out a spoke from the wheel ( in ya de-rigeur Gola trainers, with fluro yellow flash ), then rip out the little chain thing that operated the gears, then screw in the spoke.

To change gear you simply just pulled the spoke out or in a little.

I'm off on Ebay to search for a grifter, I'm not to old for one am I ?

1,038 Posts
I just wish the powers at whoever owns action man now, realise that we, I mean our kids, don't want the new crap. We want guns and dive kit.

· All hail the mighty ZOM
26,665 Posts
I had the orange action man frogman, an eagle eyes one and a pre-eagle one too. Teh fingers snapped off the pre-eagle one. For some reason I had loads of left boots but only a few right ones.

I had the red devils kit for it too where you threw him out of the window and he was menat to glide peacefully down onto the garden. What happened was his parachute never opened ever and he just hammered down and hit the deck with a sickening crack of broken plastic.

I ended up shooting the shit out of them with a 410 rabbit gun.

· Registered
267 Posts
Hmm, now I had a slilver Raleigh stiker, which was a small grifter and had some fake front suspension forks on it. Deffo no back padel braking.

Gareth

PS

You can still get a new raleigh striker - just google.

2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Hi Gaz - that was the Strika I had as well. Looked like a motorbike.

Sort of.

If you squinted at it.

2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
I stripped my Grifter down, resprayed it silver, fitted a BMX saddle and blue tyres because I was jealous of my mates BMX.

Was f-all use though as pulling a wheelie would give you a hernia and jumping off anything meant you were likely to crack the tarmac on landing.

1,038 Posts
The back pedal braking was the best bit. Great for skidding, you could drop it and slide the back end forward (3 secs before landing on your knee).

· Registered
12,453 Posts
I had the orange action man frogman, an eagle eyes one and a pre-eagle one too. Teh fingers snapped off the pre-eagle one. For some reason I had loads of left boots but only a few right ones.

I had the red devils kit for it too where you threw him out of the window and he was menat to glide peacefully down onto the garden. What happened was his parachute never opened ever and he just hammered down and hit the deck with a sickening crack of broken plastic.

I ended up shooting the shit out of them with a 410 rabbit gun.
Yes I had the orange version too. I saw a TV programme some time ago about the toys of our youth with James May off top gear. They tested the action man parachutist at various altitudes and found he needed 250 ft for his chute to open! They also revealed that the instructions in mechano were deliberately wrong so that the kids would 'problem solve'!

21 - 40 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.