YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

<font color='#8D38C9'>Hiya folks
  I was wondering if anyone has had a bend & if so how long were you in the pot & how long did you have to stop diving for?
Good diving
Rob

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

I had a suspected bend and was in for 6 hours and a second visit of four hours on table six. I had a four week ban from diving and I managed three  

Take a good book

It turned out to be Carbon Monoxide poisening not a bend but the treatment is the same and I dive all the time so it was an easy mistake to make. The staff at Whips cross were non critical and freindly. I had done a 50m 1 hoour deco dive on the Saturday and a 30m no deco dive dive and a 9m dive on the Sunday. Two days later I had a numb face and dizzy spells. Turned out to be a cracked exaust manifold on my mid engined car.

ATB

Mark Chase

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mark Chase @ Feb. 01 2004,23:52)]Two days later I had a numb face and dizzy spells. Turned out to be a cracked exaust manifold on my mid engined car.

ATB

Mark Chase
Well you will drive a souped-up Robin!!

·
Registered
13,519 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Suspected of having a bend 1st dive of the weeknd 20min dive @ 18m, The Hopper, Farnes.  Rapid ascent trying to catch my buddy.  After 2 hours tingling in hands and feet.  Flown to hospital, taken to Chamber and potted for 5 hours and 50mins.  Couldn't dive for 4 weeks, a bit worrying as I was going on my first overseas dive trip.

Had to see a BSAC medical referee, who told me I probably had a PFO and next time I would die,  Yes I am serious that is what he told me.  Following morning went to Oban as planned and senior instructor took me to 30m, he said the first 10m were the worst anyway.

Following day on a scallop dive we all got separated and I gave them a bit of a scare as after they surfaced I stayed down and did a longer than usual stop.  You should have seen their faces when I surfaced.  

Needless to say I am still alive.  

·
Registered
280 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>i was evacuated in july this yr at sea 24 miled off hornsea near gas rigs
we were diving a new wreck at 43 m when i became tangled in a net
camr out of my jacket to try to untangle it but it was pretty badly tangled
so with 13 mins and rising on my computer i took one last breah and headed for the surface
took chopper 90 mins to get to us then i was flown to hessle  (hull)
was checked over by dr calder and told i diddnt have a bend but was going to pot me for a fast assent  so i got to do 2 hrs 45 mins in the chamber and i could dive whenever i wanted so week after i borrowed some gear and went and got it back and yes it was a scarey dive

·
Registered
280 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>fiona were you the one that we helped evacuate from the farnes back to sehouses harbour we had our boat voilante and accompanied you with spare 02
also if it was tell your skipper he owes us a anchor  lol
he got in a panic and cut our shot line lol

·
Registered
13,519 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Oh, never mind then.  Thought it might be too good to be true, we never did get to thank the club who took us back to seahouses.  The arse who was skippering our rib and was supposed to be Dive Marshall for the day never spoke to me all weekend and completed an absolutely fictious incedent report.  He was all theory and no practice.  

Fiona

·
wibble
11,450 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Been to hospital for suspected bends twice.

First was after buddy had rapid ascent but I got a sodding rash over my chest and back.

Second was a painful knee following a 30m dive on the Aclivity.  My puter had gone into deco, but my buddies hadnt, as we ascended it clicked out of deco but i signalled i wanted to stop for 3 mins at 6m, just for safety.  Buddy however did the out of air signal and ascended.  I stayed there for as long as i felt i could then went up to see how she had managed to empty a 12 and a pony.  She hadnt, she was just being fooking thick as thick gets cos she was down to about 70 bar in the 12 (full pony).  I could have slapped her!  
Anyhow, next day sore knee develops, phone the DO who says to phone the navy doc.  Go to the local hospital where he says it is just muscular, but he isnt sure having never seen a diver!
I hadnt missed any deco stops, but when i said i had missed a safety stop it was used against me by the arseholes in my club.  I didnt have to stop, i just wanted to as it is safer!

God dammit some people are thick.

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

I've had two. First was 5hrs in Dunstaffnage for a neuro, 3 month ban, second was 8hrs+3hrs in Millport, should be a lifetime ban but to take at least a year out, managed 7months.  PFO check this Friday. Much fun  

Peter

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
Imported post

And the very best of British to you buddy, hope it goes well. Be nice to get some sort of closure on it. PFO check....isn't that the one where they stick a pineapple up your bell-end?

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Imported post

Peter
best of luck mate, let us know how you get on and where to send the grapes  

I'm not sure if the pineapple thing is permanent though, you might be lucky.

Matt

·
Shipwrecked & Comatose, drinking fresh mango juice
2,614 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#810541'>
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bloss @ Feb. 05 2004,18:53)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Second was a painful knee following a 30m dive on the Aclivity.
Hmm, obviously a side to Aclivity's diving activities that he's never told us in the club about!

Care to comment Mr. Hill?

Andy
must have ben my twin sister, the ship.  We cast about the same size shadow, easily mistaken for each other.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts