YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

Anyone have a nice dive today?

1K views 24 replies 21 participants last post by  beanie 
#1 ·
Imported post

I managed to have a great dive on the Mulberry off Selsey, about 5M Viz, and the sea was a flat as a millpond.

And my shiny new drysuit arrived back this morning, so that made my weekend

Gareth

See less See more
#3 ·
Imported post

Blown out last weekend, couldnt go Saturday as rugby match here, due to go sunday.

Phoned at 6pm to say "dont bother coming, the boat is broken again".

There ends my last chance to get some practice in before Cornwall trip next week.

So err no - i didnt have a nice dive

#7 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (NeilB @ April 11 2004,05:45)]Thursday and Friday are my weekend so I dived Thursday....over 15m viz and water at 27 degC. Lots of big barracuda and a couple of turtles....usual sort of dive, nothing special.
<font color='#F52887'>Stop it now! or I'll be forced to come over there are give you a piece of my mind  

I'm stuck at work and it sucks

#8 ·
Imported post

S.S Kintyre from the Clyde shore. Wasn't much fun between the current, viz, depth, deco penalties and old guy shouting at us. Still it was nice to get back into t'water! I just don't think I'm up to going all the way to the wreck on this dive now.

Peter

#9 ·
Imported post

Jumped onto Andy's boat yesterday with the YD crew, first UK Sead dive this year, first with the 10's too, so well pleased with the result. Might have been nice though if the LDS hadnt gassed me up with 180, spose I should have checked last weekend really, ended up a bit low but the SAC was back to 25(ish) so not too upset. Down the shot it became VERY dark at 20m very eerie, saw the wreck about 1/2 mtr before I hit it!
Nice lobby, small shoal of something at the edge of viz. (like about 1 1/2 mtrs. All in though enjoyed the dive with Digger as buddy. 36 mins and a small bit of deco on the back of the pooter. Got home in 2 hrs checked the manual and realised its time to replace the battery. Enjoyed the dive, didnt want to do the second one, just a tad beyond my current experience I think.
Matt

#11 ·
Imported post

For those not into hunter/gatherer need read no further.

Four lobster today, diving on the Boma is like shopping at Tesco

First had eggs, so let go, second was easy too. Third was just walking around in the open. News must have got around and he decided to give up easy. Saw the last just before we had decided to go up, much bigger than the others, so they went back. Will go nicely with the scallops and lobby from yesterday.

I know some wont be happy with me, but to quote Porg - Bite me.

Adrian

#13 ·
Imported post

Been down at Selsey myself this weekend, dived the Gascony and the Teapot (Bigitta) yesterday, the Shirala and the, err...  Shirala again today from Skipper's boat.

Gascony and first dive on the Shirala were superb, Teapot and second Shirala dive suffered from viz problems, but were still entertaining

Full report once I've had some sleep.
dan.

#14 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Adrian Kelland @ April 11 2004,19:56)]For those not into hunter/gatherer need read no further.

Four lobster today, diving on the Boma is like shopping at Tesco

First had eggs, so let go, second was easy too. Third was just walking around in the open. News must have got around and he decided to give up easy. Saw the last just before we had decided to go up, much bigger than the others, to they went back. Will go nicely with the scallops and lobby from yesterday.

I know some wont be happy with me, but to quote Porg - Bite me.

Adrian
I've got no problem with folk lifting a sensible amout of sea-food Adran, but is four not just a wee bit excessive. I mean, one for the pot and a handful of Scallops is cool, but four, IMHO, is a bit OTT.
Next thing you'll be telling us you lifted four Gold bars and never left any for the rest of us........

Just my thoughts!

Peter

EDIT-Sorry, really must RTFP in future!

#15 ·
Imported post

St Abbs 10&11

Wuddy/Skelig
13Degrees surface, water at 15m 7degrees vis 1 to 2 metres.
No life except billions of dead mens fingers and brittle stars,oh apart for 1 large octopus trying to eat a large crab.
Lots of swell .

Glanmire
5 degrees at 30.9m vis 5+metres, few pollack and one or two Cod,,wrestled with a lobby,it won!!Only wanted to show it to my bud,,
The weather was overcast which led to a very VERY dark dive,

We were surprised at the lack of divers up this weekend. Dived with Peter Gibson who was as fab as ever..01890771681 if you want to use him ,,tell him the Fire Lads from West Yorkshire recomended  him..

Dive safely

#16 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (peter k @ April 11 2004,22:04)]I've got no problem with folk lifting a sensible amout of sea-food Adran, but is four not just a wee bit excessive. I mean, one for the pot and a handful of Scallops is cool, but four, IMHO, is a bit OTT.
Next thing you'll be telling us you lifted four Gold bars and never left any for the rest of us........

Just my thoughts!

Peter

EDIT-Sorry, really must RTFP in future!
No problem Peter  

I rarely get lobsters, I am very weary of those claws, but everything went right this time. The number just amazed me, hence my boasting, justed needed to SHOUT about it.  
The number I have put back with eggs far outnumber the ones I've kept. All the edible crabs around ATM are females in berry too.  

My general rule is that I take nothing on a Sunday, as cooking it etc after getting home take too much time. However today a BBQ beckons...

Four gold bars - sound like you've been listening to Status Quo  
Almost

I think every one was happy today, excepth the DO, who's dry-suit zip broke.

Adrian

#17 ·
Imported post

Dived HMS Vestal yesterday, 70m off Phuket, on Trimix course. Water temp 23C at 70m, 31C at surface. Visibility a disappointing 2.5 - 3m so looking forward to revisiting in better conditions.

Ian

#21 ·
Imported post

I've spent the past four days down in Plymouth doing a couple of dives each day....Scylla (x2), James Eagan Layne (x2), Hands Deep, Hillsea Point, Persier and Rosehill.  Verrrrry nice.  Great sites, superb viz, super boat, great company & loadsa craic.  Oh, and the weather was fantastic
.  The final highlight was four dancing squid on the JEL - the last dive this afternoon.  I was very reluctant to head topside again...!

Only downsides.... had a bit of a kit horror - my new drysuit hasn't turned up from Otter yet, so I'd hired one, which (on the first dive) turned out to have a f***** auto-dump that would only dump air if manually whacked.  And even then it would only do it sloooooooowly.  Great.  So I've spent the weekend contorting to dump air and check that it was actually coming out and developing a mild case of paranoia along the way....  

All this has left me with absolutely zero faith in autodumps .... which is a problem given that I have ordered a suit with one   Feeling the need for a trip to Stoney or somewhere when that turns up so I can have a play and see if that faith can be restored....

My only other gripes are 1) I missed what was described as 'the biggest conger in the world...ever" on the Rosehill this morning and 2) the fact that my nose is sunburnt - and frankly I can live with those after such a fantastic weekend!

I've nabbed a card off the skipper so could be tempted to try and sort a YD gig down there if there are enough people interested.  It was BRILLIANT!!!!

#23 ·
Imported post

Desperate for a dive, so drove down to Portland last night, got a couple of dives in the Cove today - pretty good vis, probably about 4 or 5m vis, water about 9 degrees and a chance to play with my new lens on the camera.

This is one of the shots
(hmm, a bit oversharpened there).

Then back to work this evening, until 8AM Monday morning.  

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.