YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Assess the value of land.

I want to buy a very small strip of land from my neighbour for the purpose of putting a path up the side of my house. I'm looking at less than 30m square.

I don't yet know if he's willing to sell but as it forms part of my extension plans to the house I need to put together a budget that takes into account if he will sell. Furthermore I want to avoid being ripped off!

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
Don't tell him what you want it for - it will make it more valuable.

If not having the land prevents the extension, then the land is more valuable to you than it otherwise might be.

It is worth however much you want to pay for it and how much he will sell it for.

G

·
The first question he'll ask is "why do you want it?"

If you lie & say nothing and he later feels aggrieved, then he'll get his own back on you during the planning process

Your better off going to him, explaining your plans and asking him outright, but always have a Plan B

But as far as value, does it de-value his property? what location? 2x15m, 1x30m, 5x6m?
Anything from a token £1k upto £10k

·
Registered
10,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Sorry....to clarify the situation.....the land will have no effect on the planning permission as that is already approved but because I want to have side access to the back garden (rather than going through the house) it's just for convenience. So the area will be maximum of 1m by 30m (and I'm thinking that 1m by 15m might be more accurate). When I approach the bank for a loan though I want to have accounted for every cost.

The neighbour is a pub and the area is part of their car park, however losing the space will not affect how many cars they can park in the car park but will free up two spaces outside my house as I will be able to get both cars into the front garden/garage.

·
Creature of the night
14,183 Posts
Hi Mate,

we paid £3.5k for 36m x 10m of the field at the bottom of our garden 3 years ago. This included boundary fencing plus about £350 in legal fees.

HTH

Safe diving,
Steve

Reactions: 4823
1 - 5 of 5 Posts