YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

I'm looking for courses on underwater archaeology here in the U.S. and found that the predominant agency is the NAS out of the U.K.  Well, up in British Columbia there is an organization that teaches NAS courses but I'm not sure if I want to fly all the way up there if the courses aren't that useful.

Anyone take these courses and/or have an opinion (yes, I know we all have opinions)?

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

PM Annalisa (Diggingdiver on here) - she's very much into all this lark!

·
Registered
13,519 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Hi there

A few years ago a number of our club members took part in this course, I seem to remember that they enjoyed it but I suppose it all depends on how far you want to take it. As an introduction it was probably OK.

Sorry can't be more help as the members are no longer in the club.

FB

·
Banned
1,793 Posts
Imported post

If you contact English Heritage (Ian Oxley I think) he is planning to help divers get into the NAS thing - I think they were even planning to run a few couses.  The idea being to promote conservation and education amongst divers so we stop nicking portholes etc.  I heard this at the shipwreck conference a few weeks back in Plymouth.

Apologies if I got the message garbled but I think that was what it was all about.

For the record, they are also re-visiting all 39 protected wrecks in the UK and will involve the stakeholders (e.g. the divers who found them) more in having a say in what happens to them - this includes taking part in excavations etc.  I thought it sounded quite good myself.  We have one of the 39 just offshore here, and the guy who found it (Hi Sam!) is hacked off that some boffin stopped him exploring the wreck for a number of years archealogically.

HTH.

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
Imported post

Hi

Quite a lot of my other club Canterbury Divers did the course at a pool in Hastings a few years ago. It was quite enjoyable but they have not used much if any of it since then.

I am interested in doing one as we may well adopt a wreck, but not if it costs me much. Drive to plymouth where they usually take place, plus accom is too much to me.

Dive Safe

Paul

·
old time
6,658 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]English Heritage (Ian Oxley I think)
, oh that name makes we wanna sh***********************************...........

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#FF0000'>Andy I thought it was Wallace not Sh******************.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (peter k @ Feb. 27 2004,07:08)]Hi Mr P,
         This is certainly Scotlands main NAS training centre. Suspect you might recognise it
http://www.lochalinedivecentre.co.uk/index.html

Peter
Yeah, that place seems familiar.

Well, thanks for the info.  From what I've read on the internet and from those I've talked to, the group in BC is a good one and the training is top notch.  So I guess I'll go for it.

·
old time
6,658 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>He's was just a pain during the HANOVER project in '96 .............. he hates commercial salvage companies doing better than the ADU at the time
:).........   when we saw him 2 years ago in Ramsgate , when he was there with the WRECK DET's for the filming of the Sterling Castle ,,,,,,,,, he was on the X-Plorer, with the ADU, keeping his head low and making sure that he didn't go into any pubs where divers or directors of ORCA PLC were around , just incase he went for a unplanned swim in the harbour

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
Imported post

Personally i just have some big issues with English heritage. They put blocks on lots of work cos its not in line with the buildings history/style, but the owners cannot afford the right stuff so it goes derelict (many, many examples around the country, Manchester top of the list).

I think Mark Chase could add a counter argument to this.

However an example:- Building on brighton seafront, just along from the hilton and west pier. Full of Somali refugees and falling appart.

English heratige 'expert' objected to planning application although it was subtle and would give the building owners £150k for repairs.

While he is objecting (and talking total sh*t) a lump of concret falls off the building onto the pavement. However the building owners cannot repair it 'cos he will tell them to undo it 'cos it is not i style.

The building is Grade 2 listed, however full of imigrants with just Social security wages, and covered with satelite dishes (No planning permission for them, but the council are ignoring as the removal would be to difficult to enforce).

To me a fine example of red tape and [email protected]

Anyway rant over

Regards

paul

I must not post when pissed.

·
"Three sheds"
12,688 Posts
Imported post

Planning Officals or Building Inspectors

I'm sure there are some very good ones around, but one of the latter just cost me three grand for some extra concrete I am never going to see because it's going to be under my floor.

What would you spend three grand on?

Janos

1 - 14 of 14 Posts