YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

Anyone travelled with cylinders recently?

490 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  63322 
#1 ·
As an alterative to buying cylinders in Cyprus (shockingly expensive), I was thinking of bringing some over from the UK. Ideally I would bring a 7 litre twinset out via checked-in baggage on a charter flight. I did it a few years back with BA and it was a world of pain, very touch and go as to whether the airline would take them. Anyone done something like this recently?

#2 ·
Technically it should be easy with BA. They now count diving kit as sports equipment, so you should be able to take it for free, and their definition includes:

"Diving equipment kit comprises of facemask, pair of fins, pressure gauge, regulator, safety vest, snorkel, weights belt and cylinder which must be empty to ensure safe handling."

So according to the rules, you should be able to take it (although you might fall over slightly on the twinset) without any problem.

In practice, airline baggage rules often differ significantly from what they actually do (and what they tell you in advance they'll do), but this does seem fairly explicit so should be able to argue at the airport.

David

** note the same rules apply to GB Airways, who do BA's cheap flights.

#5 ·
I would bring a 7 litre twinset out via checked-in baggage on a charter flight.
I dont know if you can drive a spanner ? but it might be worth taking them apart. just because of the weight isues. it was 32kg but did they not lower it to 20 something. if its lighter in two bags might be less trouble.

just thinking out loud. :)

DAvid

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.