YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Shipwrecked & Comatose, drinking fresh mango juice
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

<font color='#810541'>does anyone use M-plan for the palm pilot?  I've been fiddling about with it and whilst it's a lot of fun to use when not diving (I'm nowhere near the level of diver to actually NEED deco planning for my dives, but I'd like to get used it as a concept) I'm struggling with some basic operations.

My main problem is when trying to plan a simple AIR dive, it calculates one deco stop, then seems to grind to a halt .... then the Palm auto-power-off time limit kicks in and it switches off.  

I can make it work if I add in some high percentage nitrox for deco?

Any help gratefully accepted!

Andy

·
Registered
99 Posts
Imported post

On my palm I have M-plan, J-plan and PalmVPM.  I usually run a profile on all three to compare.  I haven't planned real aggressive stuff so usually the profiles come out comparable with only a minute or so difference at occasional stops.

·
Registered
5,736 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#32CD32'>Are these programs freeware that you guys can share with us or are they licensed?

Juz

·
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Imported post

<font color='#810541'>m-plan is freeware: m-plan download There is also a windows version, which I hope to try out tonight.

I found it on palm boulevard by doing a search for either diver or diving, I got some other freeware (a nitrox blending calculator) and another shareware dive planner too.  Haven't used the latter two very much.

·
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Imported post

<font color='#810541'>This question probably goes to kramynot2000 as they seem to have used it .....

I'm sorry to say that this kind of planning is all a paper excercise for me, until I get my arse into gear to do the nitrox & advanced nitrox tickets.  Which is why I have tried to do just AIR dives to compare against my computer or tables; mainly as an academic excercise.  When I  try planning an air dive with no deco gasses, my palm just stops and then the power goes off?  I've tried to keep it going in case it was just working things out, but nothing happened.  Also, when planning a dive using air as the bottom gas with a couple of deco gases (36 and 80)  I got this output:

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]M-Plan Output

M-Plan Version 0.95P BETA
©Copyright M. Bloedorn 1999-2001

Using 10% Cons GH - 0.70 GL - 0.40

----StartingDive Profile#1----
30.0min @ 35.0Meters Using AIR
 PO2=0.94 EAD=35.0Meters RT=30
Deco at 20.0Meters Using NTX-36
 PO2=1.08 for 10 Minutes RT=43
Deco at 10.0Meters Using NTX-80
 PO2=1.60 for 28 Minutes RT=72
Deco at 0.0000000e00MetersNTX-80
 PO2=0.80 for 1 Minutes RT=75

Total Dive time is 75 minutes.
Total Ascent time is 45 minutes.
CNS Total is 78 percent.
Total OTUs are 95

1202.5(1803.8)liters of NTX-80 Used
704.2(1056.3)liters of NTX-36 Used
3625.4(5438.1)liters of AIR Used

The information displayed by this
software is only a simulation.
Using this information to perform
an actual dive could KILL you,
or cause serious bodily injury.
The bit I don't understand is:

Deco at 0.0000000e00MetersNTX-80
 PO2=0.80 for 1 Minutes RT=75

from which I infer it is asking me to have a 1 minute stop on the surface (1 min at Po2=0.8 using Nitrox-80)?

Andy

·
Registered
99 Posts
Imported post

They are all freeware.  PalmVPM you get can from Yahoo:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/palmvpm/

Andy, the only thing I can think is that you have a bad copy of M-plan or something.  I don't have any problems with my copy.  But to tell you the truth, out of the three programs, I like J-plan the best, then PalmVPM and then M-plan.  J-plan's input is much easier and I think uses the same plan as M-plan.

PalmVPM uses a different algorithm which I'm still not to sure of.  I'm told it gets you out of the water faster, but I'm not sure if I like that.

M-plan just has a strange input and output but the numbers all seem comparable to J-plan or GAP on my desktop.

Sacramento Tony

1 - 7 of 7 Posts