YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
'Caribbean' Ian
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

<font color='#348781'>Hi All,

Just interested to know if anyone's used this website for reference etc...

I'm pretty sure that if i'd have found it a year and a half ago i wouldn't be needing to update my kit so soon

I'm really just wondering what peoples opinions of it are as it seems to cover most areas of kit and covers a lot of the questions asked here...

...even down to spring straps!

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

I've looked at it a few times when others have posted links and although it's not overtly pushing the DIR way, the advice there always strikes me as too biased for my liking and their pix and recomendations are inevitably DIR

·
Notice my avatar. I am hard astern.
9,347 Posts
Imported post

A good publication has journalistic integrity. (If in doubt look it up in a dictionary!) Many lesser publications strive to directly please their advertisers. You the reader must decide which is which. The site you steer us to seems unashamedly biased towards one one commercial solution to all equipment choice.

·
3,293 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Hi

Its Howard Beasleys site and he was on my GUE fundamentals course, a very nice guy as it happens. Inevitably the site does indeed have a DIR bias, although I am fairly certain that he gets no kickback from any manufacturer, otherwise we'd all be doing it.

There is no one commercial solution for DIR, please don't bring up that old chestnut again.

Perhaps because one is looking for bias, it is easier to see

Kindest Regards

Andy

·
Jonah
7,366 Posts
Imported post

Any advice other than 'make your own mind up' is inevitably biased. The giver of advice is telling you what *they* think, not giving you an objective summary of all-things-that-can-be-thought. If someone thinks that a certain way of doing things is optimal, then that's going to inform whatever they say.

I've looked at that site and found useful info there, in the same way as I've looked at other sites and found useful info on those. All of them had some degree of bias, given that they reflected the opinions of the site author. Not a problem at all as far as I can see.

The value of something like YD is that there are LOTS of opinions floating round here, lots of experienced people to say 'hang on, have you thought of doing it this way instead...'

1 - 5 of 5 Posts