Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Posted on: 1:23 pm on Jan. 1, 2003

TRICOLOR,,, channels newist wreck

</span>
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]How about a set of four alloy wheels? You don't even need a lifting bag - I reckon they will still be in good enough nick to get a couple of hundred quid per set - that would pay for a nice diving trip somewhere! Not sure what the receiver of wreck would say...

Matt
<span =''>

Matts post got me thinking about some of the stuff we (Seadart) have declared to the Receiver of Wreck, and I was wondering if anyone else has declared stuff and was it as easy a process as the ROW likes to portray?  >>>Enter Seadart Bob - guns blazing<<<<<<

ps. Before anyone claims to have a garage full of gold from some wreck or another, the ROW has been known to surf UK divers websites. (Motives unknown, but bet yer life it wasn't to find out what the local viz was like)

That said, lets have yer tales of woe/joy

Cheers

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Imported post

Being the paragon of virtue that i am, I have declared my two, only, and remarkably puny treasures to the ROW, complete with photos!

They are a 100 year old beer bottle and a piece of broken pot!

It was dead, dead easy.  Printed a form off t'internet, filled it in and posted it off.

Not heard a peep from them except the standard letter saying they have recieved the form.  Got 6 months to go before they hand over my rubbish or take it away!

I can't see any reason (apart from the dishonest ones) why you wouldn't report a find.  I must admit to wondering how on earth they would cope if everyone who picked up something from below the high-water mark on the beach did the correct thing and reported it though!

·
T.L.S. More dives than posts
688 Posts
Imported post

I had the dubious task of itemising all the booty that my club had found over the years.Listing everything was a pain in the bum, but at the same time I listed my own modest finds.They have been in touch a few times as they find various owners.Most of these have waived their right to the items but one did ask for its return.That is the risk you run.The system is pretty straightforward though.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

</span>
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I must admit to wondering how on earth they would cope if everyone who picked up something from below the high-water mark on the beach did the correct thing and reported it though!
<span =''>

Item #1: An interestingly shaped pebble.
Item #2: A different but still interestingly shaped pebble.
Item #3: Yet another different but still interestingly shaped pebble.

The one I always wondered about was Brighton Pier: There's a number of Pier tokens been dropped by people lying around the sea bed at Brighton Pier.

If you pick them up, and use them to have a go on the rides on the Pier, you have technically returned them to their original owner.

So do you still have to report it?

·
Registered
480 Posts
Imported post

I've had a reply from the ROW saying I can keep my empty shell cases & other bits & pieces of the Oslofjord.

I did get a call just after I declared the shells from the MOD Police checking if they were actually empty!

I've also been told that the owner of the Eston might want their porthole (minus glass) back. If it does go it'll keep the missus happy, as she always hated it around the house!!

·
Premium Member
5,739 Posts
Imported post

Of course, on the flip side, many items recovered from the seabed are now the property of the insurance companies. If they want them back then you are quite within your rights to request compensation for salvage. A friend of mine recovered a brass divers helmet with his dive team last year. The salvage bill went something like this:

100 hours research @ £20 p/h = £2000
8 dives on the wreck, each with 6 divers @ £100 per dive = £4800
Trimix for the dives @ £50 per dive per diver = £2400
Fuel for the RIB = £500
Sundries = £500

Total cost to the insurers for the helmet = £10,200

Insurers response - Keep it!! Cheaper to buy one on Ebay!!

·
Creature of the night
14,183 Posts
Imported post

Hi Mark,
I found it quite straight forward but the wreck was unknown and seemed closer to Holland than Norfolk.

After a year I got a final letter saying I could keep the finds and to "please take care to preserve the important artifacts of our maritime heritage"

Safe diving,
Steve.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Imported post

Answer to Kev W
One of the owners claimed the item back did you tick the yes box where it said Do you wish to claim salvage in respect of expenses on the reverse side of the Report of Wreck and Salvage form? If the answer is yes then you are entitled to a salvage award. This would be negotiated between yourself and the owner. If no agreement is reached then the ROW will mediate this is their job Of course the year and a day rule applies and if the found item is not over 100yrs old, if it is then we open up a whole new can of worms.
A saying we have amongst salvage divers is find gold and you have found a load of trouble. Sometimes you feel like throwing it all back in the sea but you don’t of course.

·
Charter Boat Skipper, Salvage Diver & YBOD abuser
1,605 Posts
Imported post

HI Seadarts,
    It's me again,
  My fellow salvor and I have declared loads of stuff to row and never had any problems, mind you we've not found the gold yet! We declare our stuff about once a month, always tick the box, the amount of paperwork is a pain but we reckon it's the best option ( they even asked for photos of the roofing slates- showing identifying marks, makers names etc!)
They have a good idea what goes on in the diving world-
she's chasing the guy from pembroke who went to the TV with his monster Tin-ingot (hadn't declared it)
 She's also chasing a guy trying to sell a bottle of Cognac off the Dakota- we used to let the punters keep stuff (duh!)
 I,ve also got an interesting "anchor saga" tale to recount, but that will do again- I can only type with 1-finger so this stuff takes me ages!
BTW- I've linked to your site from mine rsvp,
   Cheers,
Terry

·
Registered
575 Posts
Imported post

Terry
We at Seadart declare all our artifacts but because the Halsewell is of archeological interest we have a fight on our hands to keep the stuff.
Row tried to find museums to buy our artifacts but there was no takers as nowadays there is loads of this stuff about from more interesting wrecks.
As with all museums they plead poverty [they can not afford to buy but would we donate our finds]
So that we could get our droits closed we agreed to donate a load of artifacts to Weymouth museum, about 30% of our artefacts [row dictated what we should donate] it was the only way we were going to get our droits closed in the near future, it has taken 5yrs to reach this point and if we did not agree I could see it going on for another 5yrs.
Prior to our donations to Weymouth, over the yrs we have freely donated artifacts to other museums/Exhibition Centres in and around the Dorset area we do not mind donating some of the artifacts but we do take offence at being blackmailed into donating.
As with you the only way to go is to do everything by the book at least at the end of the day every thing is above board and you can issue certificates of authenticity, which have a value in themselves.
You may have problems with The Royal Charter now that has got some history and row will be looking at this one a bit more closely. I must read up on this one any good sites that have a write up on this? Not that I intend to dive it it’s just that I’m interested in it.
I’m now in my 60’s [just] and will finish my dive time on the Halsewell as I have gone this far with it I may as well see it through to the end.
Cheers
Bob.

·
Charter Boat Skipper, Salvage Diver & YBOD abuser
1,605 Posts
Imported post

Hi Bob,
  found a web-site on the Charter, mentions the best book about the wreck " The Golden Wreck " by Alexander McKee, 1970, it's available in paperback and makes a good read.
 I've scanned the relevent bits from another book and will email the jpgs- I don't know if that's the way to do it but it's worth a try.
 As for the receiver's/ protection of wrecks interest, they don't seem too bothered about it- not historically important, apparently. You would have thought otherwise given the scale of the disaster, the Dickens connection etc , but there you go.
 Here's hoping I'm still as keen as you in another 20yrs,
eh, Bob!
     All the best,
                     Terry

·
Registered
575 Posts
Imported post

cheers terry the scans all came through ok.
Thanks again for all the info.
Bob

1 - 12 of 12 Posts